Intel Ethernet Connection Driver for Windows 98SE

Dave-H

While looking for information on this issue I stumbled into an obscure mention on Intel's site regarding packet drivers. Could this be the missing link or am I far out...? :huh:

That link isn't loading here.

It just says "sending request to www.crynwr.com" but never goes any further.

:no:

dubbio.gif   A DOS-based Packet-Driver perhaps? Like Russell Nelson's freeware NE2000.COM, which used to come in a package called: "pktdrv11.zip" (I must have a copy of it somewhaere...) ?

Sounds interesting!

Well, Drugwash's link isn't working for me either, but through the Wayback Machine <link> it does work and actually has the files I had in mind.

These 2 are Russ Neslon's drivers: pktd11.zip and pktd11c.zip... but this other one is also interesting: intele100b-11-10.zip, which is for a 100B intel adapter... In any case, from the 2nd of those packages I just mentioned, I fished lan595.com, which is also intended for intel adapters...

I'd try it with the following parameters:

c:\> lan595 0x60 10 0x300

and see where does it lead...

Later edit, after following jaclaz's links:

Here is a working link to dis_pkt.zip, thanks to the late Dan Lanciani (RIP), which site deserves a visit, too.

The NDIS network adapter will not appear by itself. One has to install it the way I showed quite a few posts ago.

Thanks Sfor, that made me go back and review what I'd done back then.

I quickly realised what I'd done wrong!

I was using the "have disk" option and just trying to load the driver from there.

What I should have done of course is simply select the Ndis2 driver and install it.

D'oh!

:blushing:

I've now done that, and I have it in the Device Manager and the Network applet list.

I then had to re-do the E1000 entries in PROTOCOL.INI and the registry, and the DOS driver is now loading OK again too.

Still not working though, the Ndis driver is showing that it can't load its driver (code 2.)

There must be still one vital piece of the jigsaw missing.

:no:

Edited by Dave-H

It looks like all the items are there, but there is some problem with the link.

In case of my system, there are bindings in the network applet list. I did bind the NDIS driver with TCP/IP and NetBeui transport protocols. I binded them with Microsoft Networking services. The interesting part is the TCP/IP binding does not appear in the PROTOCOL.INI. All the TCP/IP is done by the GUI part of the Windows, while the DOS part does just the NetBeui.

Also, the network performance is affected by the processor temperature. It looks like the DOS portions of this network system is much more dependant on the CPU, then the 32bit counterparts.

Edited by Sfor

Hi guys, sorry for the pause, I was away over the weekend and yesterday tried another possible Windows driver, but no luck I'm afraid.

Things are now back as they were before.

The DOS driver seems to be loading fine, I have the "Existing Ndis2" adapter installed, but it says it can't load its drivers.

I did look again at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode Net registry entry, and there was an entry called "preferredredir" which was blank.

I found some information here which said it should be filled in according the the primary network logon system selected.

I have always used "Microsoft Family Logon" as I don't get a login dialogue then.

I tried changing it to "Client for Microsoft Networks", and that filled in "VREDIR" into the blank registry entry with is correct, but it made no difference to the problem, and I now have to log into Windows, so i think I'll put it back as it was before!

I'd be interested to know what data Sfor has in that registry key, and also in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net key relating to the Ndis2 adapter.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

I have always used "Microsoft Family Logon" as I don't get a login dialogue then.

I tried changing it to "Client for Microsoft Networks", and that filled in "VREDIR" into the blank registry entry with is correct, but it made no difference to the problem, and I now have to log into Windows, so i think I'll put it back as it was before!

You can disable the login box when using Client for Microsoft Networks by deleting the "PrimaryProvider" key under HKLM\Network in the Registry. I'm not in front of my 98SE machine at the moment so the path may be slightly different, it's been a while since I looked at that specific issue.

Thanks LoneCrusader, that's good to know!

Off topic (but perhaps not that much, who knows) but which is the best primary logon to use in Windows 98?

As I said, I've been using "Microsoft Family Logon" for many many years, but are there any advantages (or disadvantages) to using any of the others?

Cheers, Dave.

Google

"microsoft family logon" "client for microsoft" difference

A lot of info jumps up, including one about "Windows Logon".

First one (for the above) -

http://microsoft.public.windowsxp.network-web.narkive.com/V8IDBWJP/microsoft-family-logon-or-client-for-microsoft-networks

HTH

edit - BTW, been busy so haven't tested the NDIS2 stuff yet. Worse, all sorts f hardware problems cropped up due to swapping a floppy drive (*lots* of bad 1.44 floppies). :( Got my main one back up though - cables, cables, cables).

Edited by submix8c

Thanks again submix8c.

Sorry to appear so lazy as to not have just Googled for the information (other search engines are available) but I just thought that someone here would be bound to know all about it just off the top of their head!

From that article it looks as if it doesn't make a lot of difference which logon option you use, although it's strange that it says that "Specifying Microsoft Family Logon as the primary network logon (in Control Panel > Network) makes the system display a menu of know (sic) user names at boot time."

I've been using "Microsoft Family Logon" for years, and never seen a list of users pop up, which is why I use it, but I guess that's because I'm the only registered user on the system.

I've now gone back to Microsoft Family Logon, and I've still been trying to find out why I can't get online using the DOS driver.

I have now specified the slot being used in PROTOCOL.INI, which has cleaned up the startup dialogue, but it made no difference.

I suppose what I should test fundamentally is whether the DOS driver is actually working in DOS.

I have no DOS programs that use internet access, so has anyone got any suggestion as to how I can test it in DOS?

Cheers, Dave.

I have no DOS programs that use internet access, so has anyone got any suggestion as to how I can test it in DOS?

Arachne:

http://www.glennmcc.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne_(web_browser)

This may also be of use generally for your issue:

http://www.compmiscellanea.com/en/arachne-installing-and-setting-up-ethernet.htm

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

A DOS web browser is not something I even knew even existed, letalone that it was still being worked on only last year!

I'll let you know how i get on with it!

Well, to be a retro-computing enthusiast, you are probably not (yet) retro enough! ;)

Time to go through textfiles :w00t::ph34r: to remember how it was like in the good ol' times :yes::

http://textfiles.com/

and what actually amused us long before videos and lolcats appeared:

http://textfiles.com/computers/glossary.txt

(though of course I still jiggle at the definition of "guru" and of "handshaking protocol" :lol:)

jaclaz

I would not recommend to test the DOS drivers with TCP/IP. The reason is quite simple, DOS drivers do not support TCP/IP.

On the other hand, the NetBeui should work along with Microsoft Networking Client.

I would not recommend to test the DOS drivers with TCP/IP. The reason is quite simple, DOS drivers do not support TCP/IP.

On the other hand, the NetBeui should work along with Microsoft Networking Client.

What do you mean? :w00t:

They used to work:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/doscltcp.htm

Or maybe the specific drivers/card Dave-H has cannot work? :unsure:

jaclaz