FTP software equivalent recommendations

Tripredacus

Looks like it is finally time for me to update my FTP software. I've been using Leechftp for well over 10 years now but it no longer allows me to connect to my FTP site. It is because it does not support FTPS, or that I cannot find any options to enable it.

So if anyone is familiar with leechftp could I get recommendations on a similarly (looking I suppose) FTP client that supports connecting to secure servers?

Edited by Tripredacus
mixed up terms

I would vote for FileZilla too. I use both the Server and the Client. They are stable products that feel native and accessible under Windows. FileZilla has support for both methods of Secure FTP, as well as the SSH protocol, which I haven't used myself though.

My current version of FileZilla:

e994xs.jpg

sure seems less busy to me. :)

Cheers and Regards

Well, you should compare a screenshot on the program site, against a screenshot on the program site ;):

fz3_win_main.png

sure that seems more busy than yours :whistle: (mainly because you made a screenshot when not connected to a FTP and not during a file transfer.

But of course Filezilla is a very good program :), only seemingly it is not anymore supporting XP :w00t: (and as such it is worth nothing to me :ph34r:):

Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 are supported, each both 32 and 64 bit.

whilst:

WinSCP runs on Microsoft Windows XP SP2/Windows Server 2003 SP1 and newer, up to Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2.

Additionally, WinSCP 5.5.2 Portable 4.3 Mb, FileZilla_3.7.4.1_win32.zip 7.0 Mb

jaclaz

only seemingly it is not anymore supporting XP :w00t: (and as such it is worth nothing to me :ph34r:):

I am afraid that in this case support means more than usual. I just tried the latest FileZilla Client and it caused a BSOD on my XP (SP1) computer! Have they jumped on an XP hater bandwagon!? The only other program that did this was Process Explorer, where it might be justified by the fact that it is a system utility with a driver. But in the FileZilla Client!???

I am quite pissed at this point, because I tried the program on my main computer never expecting this. And have difficulty finding praising remarks about the program, or concentrate on researching the reason of the crash.

Well, the FTP protocol is along with the security extensions is quite mature to say the least, FileZilla is feature rich, and has implemented features that make FTP work well on modern connections already (such as large socket buffers). So which ever version is working on your computer (3.0.9.2 on mine), will continue to work well for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure how interesting an FTP server would be to hackers if there were security vulnerabilities.

This development is quite puzzling. Server was working on Win98 up until version 0.9.12c from 2005. The changelog claims that Win95 is working. I still have the management UI here which I used to connect to old computers. I've not followed the development of the Client, mainly because even version 2 did everything I needed from it and had no problems.

Geez, a blue screen....

You see :whistle:, I had told you. :yes:

Seriously, now ;), it is a lot of time I didn't actually use filezilla, but I remember previous versions worked fine, maybe the good guys are - like a lot of other people - somehow forcing upon the users unneeded "betterings" that result in needlessly losing users.

jaclaz

I was unable to reproduce the crash on Win2k or XP SP2 or SP3 (all slower and with less memory), where 3.7.4.1 loaded and seemed fully functional. I very mouch doubt that it was a coincidence, because my PC had been up for about 20 days before that and had no issues launching old FZ.

Lately, I rarely use the Client at all, and am doing my transfers in Total Commander, which supports FTP implicit SSL as well and, since version 7, is now complete with the latest extensions such as UTF-8 and MLSD directory listing. Total Commander works very well for short sessions, because it doesn't have the ability to resume. It can easily initiate 2 streams by starting another backgroud transfer. Over LAN I can transfer any files using just Total Commander.

TC connected to FileZilla Server over SSL and showing configration options

I find that FileZilla is the best method to transfer files between different Windows versions, which have problems connecting over SMB, and at higher speed than possible over Neighborhood.

Edit:

I was confused about the different kinds of Secure file transfer protocols. After research I found that Total Commander supports FTP over SSL internally (used with FileZilla Server and similar), and SFTP (used with Linux boxes) with this plugin. Both protocols need encryption DLLs on the system. They can be shared by several programs. Both protols are well integrated into the file manager, and in case of the SFTP(SSH) plugin, one can even extract compressed files directly onto a remote server.

The interface needs some getting used to (sites/servers are configured via TC's "Network Neighborhood" which is a catch all place for foreign file systems). SFTP appears to be faster and more reliable when sending many small files. I was able to initiate a background transfer and keep working in the file manager more fluently than with FTP.

Edited by j7n