Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

If it's downloading POSReady updates, you must have the necessary registry modification, which would have been done by the SP4 installer.

You should be able to check that the SP is installed by looking at the system properties, which should I assume now appear like the screenshot in the first post of this thread.

It looks as if it still says Service Pack 3, but the date changes to 2014.

:)

System Properties says Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Update log is too large for attaching.

Guess I'll have to try installing again.

Edited by Roffen
Text update

That looks as if the SP didn't fully install, although it did do the registry tweaks to continue getting updates, assuming you hadn't done that yourself.
What happens if you run the installer again?

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

That looks as if the SP didn't fully install, although it did do the registry tweaks to continue getting updates, assuming you hadn't done that yourself.
What happens if you run the installer again?

Same again. System Properties shows 2002 SP3. But this time SP4 appears under Installed programs. Plus msg "failed to install catalog files".

I had hoped that this test installation might be promoted to my new #1 but seems I'll have to make another attempt.

36 minutes ago, Roffen said:

Same again. System Properties shows 2002 SP3. But this time SP4 appears under Installed programs. Plus msg "failed to install catalog files".

Check here for the catalog files error message.
This was referenced in the first post of this thread.

Edited by Dave-H

Should in not be possible to uninstall XP4? It is not possible here, and I'd like to se if a removal might rid me of the message

"Could not load file or assembly ’MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.3693.39770, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." each time the system is booted. It may be harmless, but I don't like it!

I don't know if SP4 is the culprit but I've never seen that msg before.

I take it that you have an ATI or AMD graphics card, as MOM is part of the ATI/AMD Catalyst Control Center, which is built on .NET 2.0 IIRC.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Control Center and hopefully you'll lose the error message.
MOM.exe should be in the C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static folder.
That's what I have, later installs probably substitute AMD for ATI of course.
What happens if you do try to uninstall SP4, you said it was now listed in the installed programs list?

Zone Alarm msg:

File name:     A0005101.dll
Virus name:    not-a-virus
Type        Virus
Risk        Medium
Treatment
Path         G:\System Volume Information\_restore{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}\RP16\A0005101.dll

x's represent a hex number.

Similar messages are coming up all the time - with a new number so I think there must be a generator hidden somewhere.

The system is XPSp3 + SP4. I see SP4 in the list of programs available for removal,
but it doesn't identify as the 2014 version.

Teh Remove button doesn't show so SP4 can't be removed, I'll have to reinstall XP from scratch. Maybe the problem is that the installation failed in some way.

Edited by Roffen
added text

Roffen, with all due respect, whatever benefits the SP4 might bring you are obviously outweighted by the amout of grief you've already got from it.
Were I you, I'd reinstall SP3, make a full backup, apply all availble updates, make a second full backup, then add the POSReady trick and add the newly available updates, make yet another full backup, store the backups in a safe place and call it a day...
Of course, those are just my 2¢. :yes:

That makes sense. I am uncertain about what the advantages of SP4 actually are besides of course the PosReady updates. Aside of that, I am not aware of what I get from SP4 that I don't already have with SP3. Anwyay, I will try the PosReady thing and see how it works out for me. After installing Malwarebytes, ZoneAlarm and SwiftSearch, things are looking somewhat brighter.

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

Roffen, with all due respect, whatever benefits the SP4 might bring you are obviously outweighted by the amout of grief you've already got from it.
Were I you, I'd reinstall SP3, make a full backup, apply all availble updates, make a second full backup, then add the POSReady trick and add the newly available updates, make yet another full backup, store the backups in a safe place and call it a day...
Of course, those are just my 2¢. :yes:

Wise words as always Den!
I've not been tempted to apply SP4 as I too think that with the POSReady updates a SP3 XP installation is as complete and secure as it can be now.
I would certainly use SP4 if I had to make a new XP install now, but not otherwise.

I've always used large fonts on Windows 98, 2000, and XP.
Even at 1024x768 on my old CRT monitor I did, as I just found the text too small otherwise, and on my present 1920x1080 monitor it's really essential!
The text size on Windows 8.1 seems to be fine on its standard settings, so I guess MS finally got it right!
I did find in the past that some programs did not display their dialogues properly with large fonts selected, but that's pretty rare nowadays.

Edited by Dave-H

Save time (in the future) - Install, use -X- Downloader, install dotNet (for nLite), install nLite, Integrate -X- files, burn the CD, Reinstall from it (OY!), then use POSREADY trick.

That way you have a Fully Up-To-Date (until End-Of-Life) CD should you need to reinstall. (Note - xdot.tk Downloader Script will need "tweaking" since one file is attempted to be downloaded from MS' FTP site and is inaccessible). 

My 2¢...

Yeah, you have some kind of "something" going on because that "Folder" is your Restore Point Folder/Files. They can (usually) be viewed with a Bootable Live-OS CD/DVD/USB of some kind. A running OS blocks access to them (AFAICR).

Oh, and SP3 is just that. It doesn't include all of the Post-SP3 Updates, so yeah, you'll want them.

Basically, (XP with SP3 Pre-Integrated) + (Post-SP3 Fixes) + (POSReady Fixes).

I am not always able to understand all that is being said by you guys here. I realize that you are accustomed to your shoptalk and I often feel like lost in the woods. I think SP4 may be good for me, I just have to clean out the mess that my computer(s) have become, with truckloads of junk collected over the years. When I've saved what little that still may be of some value I'll make a new installation. I hope that will make life a little better for me. I have too many hard disks, too many partitions and too much storage space. With duplicates, triplicates and quadruplicates of files just to be safe, a thorough purge is required.

73 and CUL :D

Edited by Roffen
typo fix