bigmuscle

Google "Euro exchange rate".

Just funnin wif ya.  It's a buck thirty six right now.

-Noel

Way over valued!  I would have guessed 50¢!  lol

Edited by dhjohns

At the early stage of his project, I believe memory serves me, he had mentioned a 2 to 3 euro rate would get a key.

But even at that, take into consideration that he spends his free time  to this. He now has a cost of hosting attached to it.

As programs go, this is a must have for many people. Now consider that BM looks on this project as an experiment/utility for his own growth as a programmer. He makes no excuse for the donation for a key. He asks for a meaningful sum to see what you feel his work is worth to have it further developed. How much determines if all you want to do is stop the debugging window (which helps in finding flaws) and the watermark (which stops one from publishing without regard to his work).

AeroGlass is not a company designed program like other theming programs, and for the foreseeable future can be used indefinitely and upgraded as changes are made for as long as you want. I gave a sum which resulted in four keys. That will help if I change machines or hard drives (no I will not tell you how much). That is worth a bunch to me. And I have had them since the pre v1.0 days and have not been disappointed in any way.

I have always had help from bigmuscle and others on this forum (tks NoelC, I'm trying to pay it forword).

All this is getting at is to make one think about any software you have bought in the past, and the cost to upgrade to newer versions, or in some cases to even pay for support. I donate to many 'free' software on what the software means to me. If it doesn't work that well, then I just put up with watermarks, nags to go pro, or ads. Most times, I delete them and get on with life. As bigmuscle has done, someone always comes out with a superior work that is totally worth donating decent money for.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox...paying it forward and back to you NoelC :whistle:

edit: BTW, bigmuscle, the link for my keys worked flawless. :D

Edited by Wolfshadow

I got my key and things look pretty great now. I was mystified an Aero patch wasn't out in Windows 8's first month. Windows 8 preview looked better than Windows 7, and here we finally are. Thank you for getting things done, bigmuscle!

I still have not managed glowing titles in folders, it's the final unresolved issue on my end. Please look into it.

I still have not managed glowing titles in folders, it's the final unresolved issue on my end. Please look into it.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170850-aero-glass-for-win81-125/?p=1065881

I don't know what the developer is expecting really... I donated 1€ and taking into account that this is a free-time project with no guaranteed support I don't see why that donation isn't acceptable. Even if PayPal takes 50 cents in fees (which they don't), it still is a good value, and I don't know why I didn't get a key. If you don't want to commercialize this, fine, but at least give a key to everyone who donates you money... I find that policy really shady, and I don't feel encouraged at all to donate again. Good luck with the project though...

Theoretically, I have no problem to give an access to unlimited version to anyone who supports with anything. Practically, I tried this at the beginning and there were many users who were abusing my system by donating 0.01€ and similar in the style "ha ha, I donated as small as possible, bigmuscle gets nothing and I will get full version". Since I want to avoid this unfair behaviour, I set up the lower bound of the donation. I will not mention the minimal value publicly (because there would be again many users who would abuse it) but I can say that I think it is very low and everyone should dig into his conscience, to say what's his intention of donation and then select the fair value. Edited by bigmuscle

Still, I don't shit so much money that I can afford to give away big amounts of it just for a small little app that will allow me to make my desktop look fancier. I do appreciate the job BigMuscle made by developing this app, and I tried to support it to the best of my abilities. I apologize not having much to give though, but you have to consider that 1€ is more than a lot of people would be willing to give. Just look at other projects like Synergy or the Humble Bundle... And they still survive.

Anyway, thanks for the help and regards

Still, I don't s*** so much money that I can afford to give away big amounts of it just for a small little app that will allow me to make my desktop look fancier. I do appreciate the job BigMuscle made by developing this app, and I tried to support it to the best of my abilities. I apologize not having much to give though, but you have to consider that 1€ is more than a lot of people would be willing to give. Just look at other projects like Synergy or the Humble Bundle... And they still survive.

Surely you can come up with 3€ to support this awesome project. I donated 5 when it was still in early beta, I plan to do a bit more next time i get overtime.

Still, I don't s*** so much money that I can afford to give away big amounts of it just for a small little app that will allow me to make my desktop look fancier. I do appreciate the job BigMuscle made by developing this app, and I tried to support it to the best of my abilities. I apologize not having much to give though, but you have to consider that 1€ is more than a lot of people would be willing to give. Just look at other projects like Synergy or the Humble Bundle... And they still survive.

Surely you can come up with 3€ to support this awesome project. I donated 5 when it was still in early beta, I plan to do a bit more next time i get overtime.

While that is true for 3eur, I still feel that it is a bit of a silly way of asking for donations. I donate to support the project yes, but also to receive a key in exchange. Having the value that will get you a key hidden from the public is kind of strange, even if you are afraid people would donate the bare minimum. It would've been better than nothing...

I don't see how all this whining about donations has anything to do with furthering the development of Aero Glass which this tread was originally intended for.  Instead of continually making useless posts about this, just start up you own thread and discuss it there. Personally I have supported Aero Glass from day one (with beta testing and financial support) and feel its a Great value with enjoying my Windows experience on 8.1, If anyone wants to fine fault then complain to Microsoft for removing Aero Glass and not Big Muscle who brought it back for all of us to Enjoy!

~DP  :whistle:

Edited by DosProbie

Donations furthering the development of Aero Glass, DosProbie Please stop making me laugh so much... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  , Aero Glass is still the same as it was weeks ago. ;)

~ace2 :whistle:

Donations furthering the development of Aero Glass, DosProbie Please stop making me laugh so much... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  , Aero Glass is still the same as it was weeks ago. ;)

~ace2 :whistle:

its all about the money flow now - hence the speed in getting the new website up - it has always puzzled me that BM shouts hard and long that its done in his spare time and that donations are to help development - i dont expect to be paid for what i do in my spare time - had he said this was his job/only income that would be different - the software and what it does is excellent but it is now  a cash cow

adacom said,

"its all about the money flow now - hence the speed in getting the new website up - it has always puzzled me that BM shouts hard and long that its done in his spare time and that donations are to help development - i dont expect to be paid for what i do in my spare time - had he said this was his job/only income that would be different - the software and what it does is excellent but it is now  a cash cow."

dhjohns replied,  "I do not understand your reasoning at all.  There are plenty of people who do side work, and they do expect to be paid.  All side work is done in a person's spare time.  I know plenty of contractors who have regular jobs, but at night, and weekends they do work for people on their own time.  I do not know how it is where you live, but here in the U.S. of A. time is money!  I am sure you know absolutely nothing about Bigmuscle's personal finances, and I don't either, nor do I care.  All I know is that he puts out an excellent product, and expects fair compensation in return, to get rid of a few, very-much-less-than-annoying reminders!"

Edited by dhjohns

Spare Time? I retired the first of the year but still do computer work for others in my "Spare Time" or part time as I like to call it and get paid well for it and sleep good at night without any guilt. lol

~ DP  :whistle:

Edited by DosProbie