bigmuscle

You're aware Microsoft has removed Win32/desktop development information entirely from the list of documentation downloadable with Visual Studio 2013?

Fortunately the VS 2012 info is still out there and can be loaded.

Nothing they do is by accident.

-Noel

They may have removed the info, but they still left the ability in Windows 8~8.1. Otherwise Stardock would not be able to provide blur or transparence in their Windowblinds.

VS2013 is a travesty anyways and geared more toward cloud and mobile units. They even folded Expression web into it so as to not have to keep competing with Adobe.

IMHO VS2012 is way more stable and far less bloated.  

There reasons are PR tricks and smoke. Give people something and see what happens. They waffled on the whole start menu thing. It will be the same with aero somewhere down the road. They leave the viable code in in case popular opinion goes against them. That way they do not have to recreate the wheel from scratch. When they hook it back in via an update, they look like saints.

That's just it, the "viable code" for resurrecting Aero Glass was in Win 8, but it's not in Win 8.1 - Big Muscle had to do a bunch of GPU programming to bring it back (read the first post in this very thread).

Microsoft is making changes to the desktop to turn it AWAY from what we users want it to be.  They clearly want to go "somewhere else", though they have not created a "somewhere else" that's viable yet.

Your argument about VS2013 vs. VS2013 makes my point.  Same could be said about Win 8 vs. 7.  Microsoft is moving their products away from what we need/want.  I'm just pointing out that they're not a bunch of bumbling fools doing it by accident.

-Noel

It will be interesting to see what direction they go in with win9. Rumor has it that the flavors will be desktop and tablet/mobile versions. But you may know more on this than most.

The popularity of touch screen is basically the reason for the metro style ugliness. But even there MS had to cave in for smaller scaling of the start icons and group naming. Windows is, has been, and always will be a beta work in progress.

From what I see, as long as Microsoft wants to topple Apple and Android, it is only going to get worse and the users are going to suffer for it.

The metro style looks beautiful on my computer!

A little clarification....lol. I meant the desktop and its flat look compared to previous versions. Not the start page. To some degree, you have to admit that the App buttons it initially has is kinda boring unless one keeps them active which uses resources and keeps you connected (which would be bad for metered conections). 

I just feel the whole desktop to start page then back to desktop is a bit of a tedium compared to using the taskbar and start menu IMO. If Microsoft would combine the start page on the desktop and using 'Fences' ability, then the start menu could possibly be of little use (of course if Microsoft does it, it will probably be a nightmare :unsure: ).

Hello bigmuscle, I come from China, English is not very good,I want to open private version,because in China can't use paypal donations,today I am to let my friend help with the account that he pay it, direct payment to your account, I give you hair mail, My friend's Payment account is :a511250471@gmail.com    My E-mail is:  suxinran521@hotmail.com

I will check it and then I will add you to the database so you can generate your key on the website.

@bigmuscle

Another idea that I guess is impossible: using different msstyles for programs, like explorer uses x.msstyles and all other programs y.msstyles?

I think you are missing the basic concept of this application - this is Aero Glass extension for Desktop Window Manager and not tool to skin your applications.

The metro style looks beautiful on my computer!

I agree - except for all those ugly squares and rectangles.  :ph34r:

-Noel

They look beautiful to me.  And, they stay there!  They don't get sucked back in to the evil start button if my mouse slips!  Seriously, I couldn't effing stand the start menu!  I always typed in the search box to get to where I wanted, and had the quick launch set up.  Anything to get away from the start button with the cursed expanding start menu!  I am not joking here.

Edited by dhjohns

@bigmuscle

Another idea that I guess is impossible: using different msstyles for programs, like explorer uses x.msstyles and all other programs y.msstyles?

I think you are missing the basic concept of this application - this is Aero Glass extension for Desktop Window Manager and not tool to skin your applications.

I know that :P I was just wondering if there are more things to mod in dwm other then aero.

Anyhow is it possible to do image specific aero blur? like the blur is only behind a certain spot on the borders based on a blur map or something.

I am not joking here.

I was just pulling your chain (note the smiley).   B)   I'm a firm believer in "to each his own".  It's good to know some folks like the Start screen.  That's why these are personal computers.

Me, I click once on the Classic Shell start button and the menu just stays there until I click on one of the entries, or something else.  I use Classic Shell's "Classic style", which IMO is better than any version of the Start Menu Microsoft ever made.  The coolest thing is I've been using it for a very long time, since Vista, and it's one thing about the UI I've set up that I haven't had to deal with changing out from under me in the last several major OS releases. 

There's a level of "muscle memory" utility that one reaches when things remain familiar for a very long time that's hard to reach again with a new approach.  Maybe this is part of why I like Aero Glass for WIn 8 so much.

Big Muscle, do you like how I worked the word "muscle" in there?  :rolleyes:

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Noel, you crack me up. Seriously, we should have a thread just for the sh*ts and giggles of it all! We could call it "Start or not start--Talk Amongst Yourselves!" ;)

And funny, I just left a critique on DeviantArt about a style with all the taskbar itemw auto spread across the bottom. I mentioned the 'muscle memory' (sorry BigM) of having all the jumps to one side and how the mouse gravitates to them.

Guess that is why I like the start menu...on the desktop where all my work gets done. My frequent programs are on the taskbar. Others are pinned to the menu.

Edited by Wolfshadow

I am not joking here.

I was just pulling your chain (note the smiley).   B)   I'm a firm believer in "to each his own".  It's good to know some folks like the Start screen.  That's why these are personal computers.

Me, I click once on the Classic Shell start button and the menu just stays there until I click on one of the entries, or something else.  I use Classic Shell's "Classic style", which IMO is better than any version of the Start Menu Microsoft ever made.  The coolest thing is I've been using it for a very long time, since Vista, and it's one thing about the UI I've set up that I haven't had to deal with changing out from under me in the last several major OS releases. 

There's a level of "muscle memory" utility that one reaches when things remain familiar for a very long time that's hard to reach again with a new approach.  Maybe this is part of why I like Aero Glass for WIn 8 so much.

Big Muscle, do you like how I worked the word "muscle" in there?  :rolleyes:

-Noel

I use classic shell as well. Since I hate the start screen