Cool Things You'd Like To See in Win9x Community

ZortMcGort11

Here's mine:

(1) A user-friendly way of maintaining a list of Image URL's to be blocked for SeaMonkey 1.1.19, Firefox 2.0.0.20, K-Meleon 1.5.4, and Netscape 9 -- for getting rid of most advertisements

(2) Windows ME Service Pack or update of any kind :-)

(3) Master list of all known KernelEx Compatible Programs, neatly organized by category, and available in one convenient location

(4) A master list of all known Firefox 2 compatible add-ons or extensions, available in one convenient location

(5) When using ClamWin, the ability to turn off loading in the system tray on every startup -- in order to conserve memory and only run the program when I need to.

(6) The discovery of more KernelEx compatible programs, and the proper maintainance of KernelEx Master List

(7) Probably more, but it's bed time.

*** Number 1 has been solved ***

See this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170825-current-list-of-advertisement-image-urls-to-block/

What are yours?

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Looking at your list:

1) it's called a HOSTS file, and the use of it and the entries contained in it and ad-blocking in general doesn't necessarily belong in a forum focused on win-9x/me.

2) probably a single post would suffice for that.

3) I'd rather see a set of sticky-threads devoted to single applications, each containing info on how to make those applications run on win-98. Those threads need not focus on Kex dependency because the installation of Kex should be assumed as default for any given system anyways.

4) Don't care / less important than #3.

5) Win-9x/me doesn't need to be running AV software anymore - hasn't needed to for the past 5 or 6 years.

6) Not a fan of huge lists that need to be maintained. Software programs that are seen as staples or universal for all win-9x/me systems should be handled as described in #3, and that list is not necessarily a long one.

Well, as far as number 4 goes, it would be interesting to know what's available in terms of Firefox 2 add-ons... because as it stands now, there's no way of digging through all the extensions and finding JUST the Firefox 2 ones. Not without a lot of time consuming work.

For example, I like the Firefox 2 add-on that enables new tabs to open your homepage. Now, I would have found that a lot sooner if it had been conveniently listed under "Firefox 2 Add ons." Just sayin'

The windows 9x community needs more consolidation. Things are floating here, there, and everywhere...

Consolidating Win9x information, making it easier to attain, was pretty much the gist of my post.

But thanks for replying.

(5) When using ClamWin, the ability to turn off loading in the system tray on every startup -- in order to conserve memory and only run the program when I need to.

You can disable this in the registry using 'Codestuff Starter' like this:

http://postimg.org/image/w87iqdbgz/

Codestuff 'Starter' (Portable) v5.6.2.9 is available at Softpedia.

The install version, if you want it, is also available from there [search].

I think this is still the best startup manager for Win 9x .

HTH

:)

3) ... Those threads need not focus on Kex dependency because the installation of Kex should be assumed as default for any given system anyways.

I would not make that assumption if I were you.

I don't run Kex except in one of my experimental partitions.

Kex can cause incompatabilities with some programs. I prefer a clean system whenever possible.

3) ... Those threads need not focus on Kex dependency because the installation of Kex should be assumed as default for any given system anyways.

I would not make that assumption if I were you.

I don't run Kex except in one of my experimental partitions.

Kex can cause incompatabilities with some programs. I prefer a clean system whenever possible.

+1. I don't run Kex. Things 9x/ME can't handle I run on XP. Or on linux. Or on DOS. Or they're not for me.

I had been running KernelEx for 3 years, and have a problem with it only once - freezes on reboot with USB flash drive inserted. I had not reinstalled my 98 OS for these three years until the computer broke, though I had installed and tested very much software. KernelEx is a very cool thing.

I had been running KernelEx for 3 years, and have a problem with it only once - freezes on reboot with USB flash drive inserted. I had not reinstalled my 98 OS for these three years until the computer broke, though I had installed and tested very much software. KernelEx is a very cool thing.

I agree. I've been running Kex for more than 3 years, and unlike probably most people here I run win-98se as my primary computing platform both at home and at $dayjob. And I'm not talking about as a virtual machine. I think that anyone that is not a developer or does not run a dual-boot NT/98 platform but instead runs pure win-98se, there's no question that Kex should be default for such a system. Now if systems with pre-2003 hardware (486, Pentium 2 or 3, AMD equivalent, etc) if there are issues with Kex and ancient hardware like that, then you have self-imposed hardware issues that are more important.

I also use Windows 98SE as my primary OS on most of my machines. The remaining ones runs AmigaDOS.

Kex is fine for general users, but I would not describe it as suitable for a default.

It is not 100% compatable with all Software and can cause problems for a Developer like me.

=====

I also use Windows 98SE as my primary OS on most of my machines. The remaining ones runs AmigaDOS.
Kex is fine for general users, but I would not describe it as suitable for a default.

It is not 100% compatable with all Software and can cause problems for a Developer like me.

=====

(sorry - the quote attributions got messed up in this overly complex editor window that this site uses as I use Opera 12 to post this)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a given exe or dll is not compatible with Kex, then would setting the Kex properties for those files to "Disable KernelEx Extensions" not be a sufficient remedy?

Can you (or anyone else) give an example of an application that can't run if a system has Kex installed (and Disable Kex extensions has been set) but runs just fine if the system doesn't have Kex?

I mentioned that you (and the other 4 developers in the world that code on win-98 platforms) are not included in the blanket statement that "Kex should be part of a default install of win-98". But if the code that you develop for win-98 users ultimately can't function in the presence of Kex, then you're forcing users to decide which is more important - your code or Kex.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a given exe or dll is not compatible with Kex, then would setting the Kex properties for those files to "Disable KernelEx Extensions" not be a sufficient remedy?

Mostly, although there have been problems reported in the Kex threads.

But this still can put a significant onus on the user to figure this out especially when an installer is involved.

Can you (or anyone else) give an example of an application that can't run if a system has Kex installed (and Disable Kex extensions has been set) but runs just fine if the system doesn't have Kex?

My earlier DLLHOOK program which patches the same code as Kex.

I mentioned that you (and the other 4 developers in the world that code on win-98 platforms) are not included in the blanket statement that "Kex should be part of a default install of win-98". But if the code that you develop for win-98 users ultimately can't function in the presence of Kex, then you're forcing users to decide which is more important - your code or Kex.

True, but writing code on a machine with Kex running can result in code that does not run without it.

I'm sure there are lots of users who don't have or even know about Kex.

I write my code to the unmodified Windows and then seek Kex compatability if I think there is an issue.

My current version of DLLHOOK does work with Kex now and can add new features to Kex.

I program 100% on 98se. KernelEx4.52 is installed and defaults to compatibility mode Windows 98 SE (for the stability enhancements).

Incompatible: CrystalCPUID (for over/under-clocking my C3 cpu) and KernelEx (all settings).

(6) The Kext topic includes many success stories for KernelEx+Kexstubs. (Browse above and below for many more.)

The windows 9x community needs more consolidation. Things are floating here, there, and everywhere... Consolidating Win9x information, making it easier to attain, was pretty much the gist of my post.

Why dont you ask one of the moderators to tidy up this part of the site. Or maybe start a poll or a petition (Free petition site here https://www.change.org/petition) if you like the idea. The 9x community seems to be a big part of MSFN so if a bunch a people want change it would probably happen.

(Ahem....)

This is where this very Topic is -

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-9x-me/

It has a "stickie" here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/95815-important-stickified-pinned-959898-seme-topics/

Inside that "stickie" is a whole gaggle of relevant links.

BTW, want a more specific search on MSFN? Google

something "another thing" site:msfn.org

HTH