Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

I think I found a bug. I placed the program in a different folder than c:\aeroglass and it would not show my Machine ID in the debug.log file (it contained other debug info tho').

I had to move the files to c:\aeroglass for it to show my Machine ID. Spent 25 mins trying to find out what was wrong.

Other than that, thanks for a great hack that makes Windows 8/8.1 more enjoyable, also thanks for fixing the dual screen bug!

I'm having a problem with the blur functionality. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. When a window is fully maximized, the blur works correctly on the top area of the window. When it's a normal window though, the only part that is blurred is a horizontal strip at the very top of the window perhaps 5px tall and the whole length of the window. The rest of the window decoration has no blur. Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas?

I tried beta 2 a couple of days ago and found the same thing as infinality. The window (top title bar of course) is transparent, but isn't blurred. I tried playing around with the DWM settings, but to no avail. This occurred both with the standard Windows themes and another Windows 8.1 theme I tried. Adding ColorizationBlurBalanceInactive (from memory...) to the registry just resulted in a error window.

Sorry couldn't be any more descriptive than that, I should have paid more attention before disabling it!

I tried beta 2 a couple of days ago and found the same thing as infinality. The window (top title bar of course) is transparent, but isn't blurred. I tried playing around with the DWM settings, but to no avail. This occurred both with the standard Windows themes and another Windows 8.1 theme I tried. Adding ColorizationBlurBalanceInactive (from memory...) to the registry just resulted in a error window.

Sorry couldn't be any more descriptive than that, I should have paid more attention before disabling it!

Thanks... at least I know I'm not alone. ;)

Would it be worthwhile for testers to indicate which GPU they are using?

Could Catalyst or Other OEM drivers be the source of some display issues on systems that are other wise clean installs.

I use an Nvidia GT440, everything works nicely on a single 49" HDTV since prototype on both builds of 8.1 (9431 & 9600)

Getting better each month.

Thank you BM.

so how to use custom theme resource by adding registry

Doesn't work that way with the 8.1 build (yet).

Instead, name your custom theme resource exactly this - themeatlas.png - and put it in the same folder as DWMGlass.dll. It will be automatically loaded by the Aero Glass for Win 8.1 beta.

-Noel

That´s it, thanks.

And by using noel´ s theme I still have rounded corners...

dear bigmuscle, I can live with the "beta" popup and the dwm window, but is it really necessary to have that damned watermark?

Edited by hfb

Confirmed here too that disabling the rounding does fix the blur issue.

EDIT: Also want to give a BIG THANKS to bigmuscle. This is freaking awesome! It's so much easier for me to look at!

Edited by infinality

Glad you like my theme atlas. I thought it came out rather nice with the faux rounded corners. It's a little trick of the light. Thank you for the feedback.

With all due respect to the folks who claim to dislike skeuomorphism, the only reason I can imagine that Microsoft and Apple are pushing square corners and lifeless, flat controls is that they want us to think the old software feels unfashionable, and provide an incentive to "up"grade to the newer fashionable OS versions even without substantial improvements in functionality. Then in another 5 or 10 years the return of fancy things will become stylish, and people will be made to want to buy the software with the "new and improved 3D looking controls"

In short, they want us to buy a new product because it's a different color, and they're saving money on the paint at the same time.

Many thanks to BigMuscle and his all his wonderful efforts to stave off the lifeless desert for as long as possible.

-Noel