Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Ok, I was able to reproduce it for some cases and it is the same problem as with StartIsBack. It is fixed now (i will publish it soon) with one minor problem - this procedure is also used for taskbar colorization. However, the blur shader includes colorization too which results that taskbar with blur behind will be colorized twice (and thus the transparency will be very low). I don't know any correct solution for this (except checking the screen coordinates to be colorized and compare them with taskbar position)

Maybe just check and reset this attibute from windows with Get/SetWindowCompositionAttribute? Or make DWM ignore it. Edited by Tihiy

Ok, I was able to reproduce it for some cases and it is the same problem as with StartIsBack. It is fixed now (i will publish it soon) with one minor problem - this procedure is also used for taskbar colorization. However, the blur shader includes colorization too which results that taskbar with blur behind will be colorized twice (and thus the transparency will be very low). I don't know any correct solution for this (except checking the screen coordinates to be colorized and compare them with taskbar position)

What happens if you change the taskbar transparency setting in SiB? It may be that disabling start menu transparency but leaving taskbar transparency switched-on in SiB will get the right result. (I'm using those settings now and the effect is spot-on - very "glassy")

If that is the case, might it be easiest to just check SiB's settings - rather than trying to chase the taskbar's location?

I was not able to apply the SetWindowCompositionAttribute on taskbar - it just didn't work (maybe I did something wrong). But as I remember correctly, some people reported that this settings also has less transparency than the windows thus it seems that the same thing happens for it.

AERO GLASS FOR WIN8 PREVIEW 6

It works great but the app still don't like my GPU idle clock profiles, it lags. Forcing a fixed gpu profile and ignoring the idle clocks is not a good option but the lag will disappear, for now.

If you open more than ten windows in explorer, then you grab a window and move it over the other windows you will notice a big lag, but this can be fixed by closing some windows. Btw, loaded the glass with the system.

Unfortunately, as I said earlier, there is some problem that causes poor performance with layered windows in your computer. And there is very small chance that this will ever be fixed (unless someone finds a way to correctly composite hidden areas of desktop without layered windows).

Btw, can anyone confirm that the problem with fullscreen games has been fixed in this version?

It works great but the app still don't like my GPU idle clock profiles, it lags. Forcing a fixed gpu profile and ignoring the idle clocks is not a good option but the lag will disappear, for now.

If you open more than ten windows in explorer, then you grab a window and move it over the other windows you will notice a big lag, but this can be fixed by closing some windows. Btw, loaded the glass with the system.

Unfortunately, as I said earlier, there is some problem that causes poor performance with layered windows in your computer. And there is very small chance that this will ever be fixed (unless someone finds a way to correctly composite hidden areas of desktop without layered windows).

Btw, can anyone confirm that the problem with fullscreen games has been fixed in this version?

I would love to test it, but as I mentioned a few post before, the new version doesn't work for me at all :\ I just does nothing on startup, not even a message is shown (I posted the debug log in my post a few pages ago)

I tried it again and now it worked. But it's not working as it's supposed to. Look at the screenshots:

83VYD1d.png

The top image is the window in ACTIVE state, the bottom in INACTIVE state. I don't know how this is caused :\

I use the same settings as in v5.

Edit: Here is the debug log: http://pastebin.com/RWQzdT4B

Edited by Peacem4k3r

I was not able to apply the SetWindowCompositionAttribute on taskbar - it just didn't work (maybe I did something wrong). But as I remember correctly, some people reported that this settings also has less transparency than the windows thus it seems that the same thing happens for it.

P.S. I tried again and now it works! Just need to set first dword to zero:

TaskbarTransparency tt = { 0x0, 0, 0, 0 };
WINCOMPATTRDATA attrData = { 0x13, &tt, sizeof(tt) };
SetWindowCompositionAttribute(taskbar, &attrData);

Excellent :-)

It works as expected, as I already said in a few posts, I recommend to set GlassTransparency to zero (or not to use it at all) in D3D mode.

Now I did set it to 0 in the registry, but somehow the new effect doesn't even come near to the effect in v5 (which was nearly perfect). Additionally, there isn't enough transparency on active windows (the color is like rock solid)

q1qDoPu.png

Sorry if I do something wrong, I'm just confused because the old version (v5) ran really well. Whats the difference between D2D and D3D mode in means of how you modify the window borders?

Whats the difference between D2D and D3D mode in means of how you modify the window borders?

The difference is that Direct3D mode draws it in the way how Windows themselves would draw it... the same way how Win7 draws it... the same way how Win8 RP draws it. The only problem is the default RTM theme which is not prepared for the transparency. RP theme looks much better.

Will never be fixed? :unsure: I'm not the only one with this problem, did you tested it on a notebook, did you asked other notebook users?

Yes, I played some bioshock infinite and there is no lag with aero enabled :P

Edited by Tusticles