x64 Edition Updates Until 2015?

I dont understand why this is such a big deal. Windows 9x has been dead for nearly 8 years and its still useable. Sure M$ might of forgotten about you, but not the 3rd parties. XP is still 2nd most popular OS out there. And since windows XP x64 is the 2003 code which still has time I don't understand the panic.

Just a couple of things I wanted to say on this, because it irks me how a couple of you are extremely fatigued about ad nauseum conversation on Windows Updates/XP EOL. Here's wny I keep bringing it up (along with many others mind you) and contribute to several update threads.

First off, the way I see it, Windows XP's EOL is "THE BIG STORY OF MICROSOFT WINDOWS" right now. I think of it as the same weight in computers as 9/11 or JFK was to news (I'm exaggerating a tad, but there is a comparison). Days after the attacks, I still only wanted to hear, talk about or find out more about anything that had to do with the events of September 11th. Some of us become fixated on a story and want to follow it's development, and visit EVERY MINUTE detail of it. With our XP topic, I find that I hear different details about different elements of the story as time moved closer.

Those that disagree with what I've stated, instead of disparaging my having the level of interest I have in watching Windows XP's EOL unfold; skip the thread. If I wish to discuss it in fine detail, thread after thread (again others seem to as well), why can't I? Really, I'd like to know that.

Besides, what other really interesting things are happening in Windows right now? Windows 8.1 Update? What else? Not despite my lack of interest in that, I won't chime in one of those threads and tell them to stop whining or get a life (Yes I know jaclaz apologized, but at the end of the day, I'm sure he'd wish I'd shut up about XP EOL; but I won't because sometimes the most obscure details come from asking things repeatedly. Different people tell you different things, and sometimes when you cross-reference something, you get clarification.)

Besides, I've already switched to Vista, so I'm watching the EOL occur from afar. But if it turns out XP users end up faring better than expected, I may switch back to XP x64. I simply like to reasearch things through and through.

**** UPDATE ****

Just to further validate my viewpoint, in a related story with MSE support, we were originally told that MSE support for XP would die on April 8th. Then we have been told that support for MSE on XP will remain until July 2015. Now, the MSE page has been removed and is unavailable (at least accoding to a thread on this forum). So see? Things are constantly in flux. That's why speculative questioning (even if repeated) is interesting to me.

Cheers,

Jody

:)

Edited by JodyThornton

(Yes I know jaclaz apologized, but at the end of the day, I'm sure he'd wish I'd shut up about XP EOL; but I won't because sometimes the most obscure details come from asking things repeatedly. Different people tell you different things, and sometimes when you cross-reference something, you get clarification.)

Just for the record, the message I was trying to convey was simply that it is futile to "worry" (please replace this with "concern" or any other synonym you might prefer :)), since whatever will happen is well outside our sphere of influence, i.e. when (and if) some "news" will be available, then we will talk about the news.

When there are no news, I personally see very little coming out talking of them (since they do not - yet -exist).

More like in "A watched pot never boils" than anything else ;).

More specifically, in the post that seemingly still offends you,

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171385-xp64-on-ddr4-is-it-doable/#entry1072674

and for which I repeat my apologies:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171385-xp64-on-ddr4-is-it-doable/?p=1072856.

the proposal was to "suspend" the speculative talking for the short period between March 26, 2014 and April 8, 2014, nothing more.

jaclaz

But see submixc, how is that response any more productive than mine? So you're not interested.

And no, jaclaz, I'm not "offended". Everything's fine. I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just a person that gets vehemently behind something. I'm never a fence sitter. But all is good.

:)

Again, :zzz:

Just to further validate my viewpoint, in a related story with MSE support, we were originally told that MSE support for XP would die on April 8th. Then we have been told that support for MSE on XP will remain until July 2015. Now, the MSE page has been removed and is unavailable (at least accoding to a thread on this forum). So see? Things are constantly in flux. That's why speculative questioning (even if repeated) is interesting to me.

No, they are not. It's only Saturday after Patch Tuesday and this is all "speculative" FUD. As for the MSE, that -appears- to be based upon several factors, since I (and others) was able to get there from here -and- prove it's the SAME DOWNLOAD! Maybe you didn't actually READ the whole thread? PAGE IS STILL THERE! (jeez, dude!)

:ph34r: :ph34r: ... :zzz: :zzz:

edit - "Patience is a virtue." ;)

Edited by submix8c

The point is you brought it up the MSE issue yourself prior to knowing that it was back. Don't you snore at me for stating my point. You DO offend me. You're nothing but a smart a--

Off I go, which I'm sure will make you just happy. I've felt I've contributed to this board, but people who act like you just make being on forums a complete displeasure.

"Duh!" and "Jeez Dude" (such bright responses)

Bye!

Well thanks Flasche. I was just trying to make a point, but submix8c basically says you can't do that. It's people that act the way he does that sours the board. Too bad really. It gives the feeling of you have to be in the "MSFN Club" or else. Just even look at the s--head's last response to me.

Take care to all of the worthwhile folks on here.

Just to let you know you can still get MSE from filehippo http://www.filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_xp . Till which after download Windows updater will give you an option to download the latest which they removed from XP download at M$ site.

Well, just for the record, right now you can still get it from MS's own "direct links" that - X - posted on the mentioned thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171498-need-microsoft-security-essentials-grab-it-now/

and it is also on the Wayback Machine.

jaclaz

:angrym:

Well thanks Flasche. I was just trying to make a point, but submix8c basically says you can't do that. It's people that act the way he does that sours the board. Too bad really. It gives the feeling of you have to be in the "MSFN Club" or else. Just even look at the s--head's last response to me.

Take care to all of the worthwhile folks on here.

Where did I "basically" say that, other than "NO I was NOT the first"? I specifically said in the link I gave (to said Topic) that you CAN get directly from MS. I specifically stated I downloaded from -X- DIRECT LINK and the one that did NOT say XP (the "pull-down" from the MS "Get It" link)). REREAD THAT THREAD!

HERE is the -only other reference- made by me re: MSE (post #2) -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170823-most-antivirus-programs-to-support-windows-xp-past-end-date/

Twist all you wish, you have only asked questions, made opinion (currently FUD), stated that YOU have done such-and-such, asked for help, and NEVER actually "contributed" as you stateed (except AFAICT a couple of MS links).

You've had the exact same attitude with both jaclaz and dencorso before (using search post for membername).

Oh, and my head is not brown, it's Blond. ;)

Back up, go back and look at your own posts and tell me I'm wrong. :yes:

Yes, I will no longer respond to you (after I and others have assisted you in the past) becuase my head (in your opinion) is brown.

Have a nice weekend. ;)

Just to let you know you can still get MSE from filehippo http://www.filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_xp . Till which after download Windows updater will give you an option to download the latest which they removed from XP download at M$ site.

Well, just for the record, right now you can still get it from MS's own "direct links" that - X - posted on the mentioned thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171498-need-microsoft-security-essentials-grab-it-now/

and it is also on the Wayback Machine.

jaclaz

Interesting for when I tried to download it just gave me a non valid windows program error. (No I did not download x64) :huh: .Though it doesn't matter for I got non the less, and was just trying to prove that there is no reason to be afraid of no more MSE for XP for it can be found else where.

Edited by Flasche

With MSE you get what you pay for. If you are that worried about security MSE would be the last thing you chose to protect your computer. There have been plenty of tests just serach google that show MSE is terrible at detecting and removing viruses compared to other AVs as well as its performance is not as good either on system resources.

Edited by oldskool

With MSE you get what you pay for. If you are that worried about security MSE would be the last thing you chose to protect your computer. There have been plenty of tests just serach google that show MSE is terrible at detecting and removing viruses compared to other AVs as well as its performance is not as good either on system resources.

I'm using it just to make M$ mad :sneaky: . I've put it on my POSReady pc is what makes it even more funny in my opinion :w00t: .

• 1 year later...

dump MSE on any XP system as Microsoft stopped offering MSE definition updates sometime in 2015 for XP users.

the recent virus definition updates for MSE no longer work on XP and require Vista SP2 or higher as I tested them myself.

And here's the site where I got those XP64 updates made after April 2014 to July 2015:

http://wp.xin.at/xp-x64-post-mortem-updates

Edited by erpdude8