Windows XP Is Not Dead But Is Outdated

TJM

new Hardware and drivers will force people to switch

year ago I swore I'd stay on XP long after its extended support ends... behold the irony, I'm on "7" now

reason: newer Hardware that XP sucked with + GDI object limitations problems it has and were never fixed

Edited by vinifera

Who Else Don't Think Is Dead?

XP still runs on nearly half the computers out there. That's hardly what I'd call dead. Dying on the other hand... that's undeniable.

new Hardware and drivers will force people to switch

Or you know, the many great new features like the start menu (search), taskbar (jump lists), new explorer, etc (tons of useful features!), improved security, being 64 bit, SSD support, DirectX 11, tray icons & volume control that don't suck anymore, extra stability, support for several new APIs and protocols, MUI, exFAT support, etc. After people actually give it a good chance (instead of just dismissing it instantly because it's different and not wanting to learn anything new -- and that handful of vocal extremists who are stuck in the past) they usually do the switch.

I've been XP-free for 3 or 4 years and couldn't be happier (very much looking forward to Windows 8 too)

I'll still be running XP-Pro-SP3 the day they throw dirt on my casket.

Being a Computer Tech, meant I had to learn Win-7 and how to tweak it and tune it for Optimum Performance,

but there's nothing that says I have to use it for my everyday OS.

Simple little things that I can do in XP, with just a few mouse clicks, take forever with a lot of digging, to do on W7.

I'll never understand why they had to change things that worked great. They even screwed up my all time favorite

game, 'Solitaire'. So I found a way to transplant Sol from XP to Win-7.

And what's with disabling Windows Mail? Cheeech!

Well, I found out how to re-enable that too.

Nah! XP ain't dead yet!

B)

Eventually people will be forced to because of drivers.

THAT and OEMs are the biggest drive of upgrades to Win7.

But there will still be some hardcore types who will hang on to it; Hell, I'm still using Win2000 and Win98SE (Mainly because I'm boycotting anything that needs online activation) and it hasn't bothered me ;)

CP/M-86 and OS/2 are dead. XP won't be dead for a long time, yet. And surely it'll outlast Vista.
...still using Win2000 and Win98SE...
Ditto, ditto, and... DITTO!!! Running Server 2k3 as a general rule (also not dead, in spite of 2k8...).

Granted, Seven is pretty nice, BUT... Folks have christened 95/98/ME dead as well - NOT!!! Why do you think MSFN exists? Besides, some peeps are po-folks and have really old hardware. We even have a few die-hard 95-ers on REALLY old hardware! :w00t: Multibooters using Linux flavors as well...

BTW, we're all really happy bunnies here (as jaclaz would say) with what lemons life hands us (flame-me-not...) ;)

THAT and OEMs are the biggest drive of upgrades to Win7.

Many corporations will wait until the last possible minute to upgrade, when support runs out. I know a few companies that always wait... they waited for 2000 support to go away before moving to XP, and are waiting for XP support to end before going to Windows 7.

For OEMs, the support ends WAY earlier than for Enterprise. As an example, Windows XP support ended in April 2009. So its partially true that OEMs drive people to upgrade, but its really a partnership with Microsoft. It might seem like OEM doesn't have a choice (well want to stay in business? :w00t: ) but the partnership really shows during the alpha and beta period of a new OS.

As at my work we're still "maintaining" windows NT4 servers, i'm pretty sure we will still maintain XP and 2003 at least in 2015 or later. And 2000 would also still be there most likely as those are working very well under vmware.

As I see it, Windows XP is still widely used, specially by businesses which stay a long time with the same OS (I have friends working in banks, in the government etc.. which still run Windows 2000) and in industry, where many legacy devices are in wide use.

But eventually its usage will fall, since many computers (mainly laptops) don't have the drivers for it, and since all new computers ship with Windows 7.

And XP is still the best Windows for running in a VM under Linux. :)

Windows XP Home with SP3 for life. I guarantee you I will be the only one using XP in 2030 and beyond. I have devised a master plan, and barring some circumstance with a happening-rate of less than 1%, will achieve my goal. :D

Theoretically you can easily port many Windows 2003 updates to XP so there'll be unofficial updates available until at least 2015.

14/07/2015 is the Extended Support End Date for Windows 2003 Server which will be the last of the NT 5.x systems to leave the scene.

Theoretically you can easily port many Windows 2003 updates to XP so there'll be unofficial updates available until at least 2015.

This is especially true of the x64 editions of those operating systems. Almost all update packages for either OS apply to both of them. Even the file version numbers are the same.