nLite XP DVD will not start - SOLVED!

Mobes

I just recently completed a DVD that includes WinXP Pro and a silent install of Office 2003. The ISO tested positively in Virtual Box. However, when I used Image Burn to burn to DVD and to use the disc, my Desktop PC would not begin the install.

I inserted the DVD and restarted the PC, entered BIOS and booted from cd/dvd. The light on the drive just blinked and never began the install. When I insert the DVD on my Desktop PC, it does not show as an installable volume. It only showed as the letter for the disk drive. However, when I insert the disc in my laptop it shows as an installable volume. I really don't want to use this for my laptop, but rather for my desktop PC.

Any ideas why the DVD will not install?? I have not tried using nLite to burn the ISO. Not sure why that would matter??

Thanks,

Mobes

Summary: PLOP worked for me to be able to boot from USB when BIOS did not support. Easy to use. Also, see My link that continues Win XP and Office install from USB using Multiboot USB.

Edited by Mobes

You may have a marginally functional DVD; some drives may have issues with it while others do not. You could try burning at a slower speed or using different media. There could also be a problem with the drive; maybe it's getting old or dirty.

As a matter of practice, I verify all written discs with ImgBurn after writing just to be sure. And I use rewritable discs whenever possible.

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks 5eraph.

I did burn at the lowest speed possible, I believe 1x. I'm using Memorex RW for media. I also verified the disc with ImgBurn. Would there be a specific media I could try?

Backing off one or two steps from maximum write speed usually works. Verbatim is a good choice for most drives and media types. All I can really suggest is swapping the drive that has difficulty reading the disc.

Related to jaclaz's post, I can confirm I always use mkisofs as ISO builder and it has never failed me. For an updated version of mkisofs.exe, please refer to this topic I started about a year ago, where jaclaz (again) saved the day. Just replace mkisofs.exe in C:\Program files\nLite. It really isn't that difficult to build a bootable DVD; in fact, I've ONLY used DVDs for my installs.

http://www.msfn.org/...__1#entry918606

To point out, you indicated a DVD-RW.

Depending on the other DVD Reader's capabilities, it may or may not read any one of DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-DL. (Double-)Check the specs on the other DVD Reader (I have a couple of "problematic" drives).

k. So, I used the mkisofs noted below. This was the most recent from SpoiledBrats link. Can you confirm? I've tried burning at 2.4x, still on a Memorex DVD. I also confirmed the DVD/CD Rom is compatible. However with all this, still the same result. I could read the contents of the disc on my Laptop (where I burned image). However, my PC does not read the disc.

Would it help to burn the image from my PC DVD burner instead of my Laptop? I will wait to hear back before trying Verbatim.

mkisofs.exe 03-Jul-2006 16:38 336K

Thanks!

May I ask what you use to burn the DVDs? For best reliability, I always use ImgBurn, which is free, has the option to burn ISO to CD/DVD and the resulting CD/DVD is always bootable (this is not an advertisement, many members here sincerely recommend it as well, I just took their advice).

As to your question, as far as I know, that is the last version of MINGW mkisofs.exe, but on the other hand, I never bothered to search anymore. I did what jaclaz suggests in post #8 and got the identical result on the mkisofs.exe version.

Cheers

I also have been using ImgBurn. However, my last attempt was with Nero. I am attempting again with new mkisofs.exe using ImgBurn. I will review the link you provided. Seems strange that my PC doesn't even see the files. I figured that I wouldn't even try to boot from the CD/DVD since I cannot even Explore the DVD files. However, I can with my laptop.

Mobes

Can any DVD, of the same media you are using, be read from your desktop's drive ? Or maybe the disc needs to be closed or something (long time I haven't burned DVD RW). Is it burned on the laptop ? Can it be read on any other PC ?

Clearly this is not an nLite issue.

Clearly this is not an nLite issue.

That's what I've been saying... mkisofs doesn't enter into it.

I still suggest swapping the drive in the desktop PC. The other drive reads the disc just fine.

We need someone who better knows where his/her towel (and mkisofs ;)) is. :whistle:

:lol:

Believe it or not, I always bring my towel now. I keep one in the car. It's surprisingly handy for just about everything. :D

Edited by 5eraph