Install Win XP and Office 2003 Problem - SOLVED!

Hello,

I just recently followed wimb's tutorial for installing XP from a USB and everything worked fine! Thanks wimb! :thumbup

The only issue I ran into was the Office 2003 did not install as expected. Also, I have successfully used this nLited file from a DVD.

One thing I did try was changing the batch.cmd to point to the Win_nt.~LS folder and then the $OEM$ folder.

I'm sure there are some changes that need to be made in order to install from USB. Can someone help me with this part?

Upon the final boot to Windows I also get this error, "No Disk", Exception Processing Message. I pressed Continue and Windows installs fine. No Office install.

One other observation; I noticed as I attempted this install probably 3 times that when I checked my C drive, the disk usage was over 3gb, even though the disk is formatted each time??

Thanks,

Mobes

Edited by Mobes

Hi Ilko.

Just so you know I'm still new at this. I of course used nLite to build/create the ISO. I tested in VB and then burned to DVD. I have successfully used the DVD to install Win XP and Office 2003. I'm using the RunOnce command from nLite to call the Batch.cmd. Below is what I recently used for my Batch.cmd for the USB. Ponch suggested I was missing a "\" between %Source% and $WIN_NT$.~LS. I intentionally left it out as I followed the format I used before for the ISO I've been using, %Source%$OEM$. No backslash.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what are relevant winnt.sif entries??

1. I changed the batch command to this: start /wait %Source%$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

2. I then moved my Batch.cmd to the $WIN_NT$.~LS folder. I did this since my prior successful install of WinXP and Office had the Batch.cmd next to I386 and $OEM$.

I ran with this and no success.

Hope this helps. Let me know what other info you need.

Thanks

I recently used for my Batch.cmd

What's the whole contents of Batch.cmd?

How is this Batch.cmd launched?

Which RunOnce command do you use?

What's the contents of %Source% at run time? Add a echo to Batch.cmd.

What's the whole contents of Batch.cmd?

REM Office 2003

start /wait %Source%$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

shutdown -r -t 70 -c "Restarting in..." -f

How is this Batch.cmd launched?

The Batch.cmd is launched using cmd /r %source%batch.cmd. This is the RunOnce command I use.

What's the contents of %Source% at run time? Add a echo to Batch.cmd.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to answer this question. wacko.gif Can you tell me where I need to add the Echo?

Edited by Mobes

This is the RunOnce command I use.

Which RunOnce registry setting do you use?

Can you tell me where I need to add the Echo?
Add to your batch.cmd.

echo Source %Source%

echo Source %Source% > %temp%\source.log

echo Source %Source% > %SystemDrive%\source.log

echo Source %Source% > %SystemRoot%\source.log

Thanks cdob. I will give a try. Does it matter where the "echo Source" lines appear in the batch.cmd??

Which RunOnce registry setting do you use?

Can you tell me how/where to find the registry setting?

mobes

Edited by Mobes

Ok. This is what I've done so far.

1. Used nLited file previously tested and successful installing Winxp and Office both in VB and desktop PC.

2. Needed to have ability to install from USB. Able to install same nLited file from USB to a PC. However, Office did not install. Also, got a "no disk" error message upon last reboot.

3. I did modify the batch.cmd from %Source%$OEM$.batch.cmd. Changed to: start /wait %Source%$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

4. Per cdob I used:

echo Source %Source%

This was the batch.cmd last used.

REM Office 2003

echo Source %Source%

start /wait %Source%$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

shutdown -r -t 70 -c "Restarting in..." -f

This did not install Office. However, I did not get the "no disk" error message.

What else am I missing??

Thanks

@Mobes

The batch should have generated THREE logs:

1. %temp%\source.log
  2. %SystemDrive%\source.log
  3. %SystemRoot%\source.log

Just use this batch:

echo Source %Source%
set temp
set System
PAUSE

And read it's output before hitting "any" key.

jaclaz

Don't know if this make any difference or not. But, when I copy the files to the USB via Multi Boot USB, again I'm using my nLited files and then I have to copy and paste the Batch.cmd?? Is this correct? The Multi boot tool does not copy the batch.cmd to my USB.

I copy/paste the batch.cmd to the %WIN_NT%.~LS folder so that it is next to the $OEM$ and the i386 folders. Hope this is accurate.

How do you build the runonce registry entry?

I'm not sure what you mean by "build runonce registry"?? The only RunOnce I use is on the nLite tab that has all of the other general info. I add the cmd /r %source%batch.cmd on this tab. This is what worked for me in building the ISO to use from DVD. It launched the batch.cmd and installed Office.

jaclazz- I will use the batch you describe below and hopefully get output.

Thanks for the help

Edited by Mobes

Another thought about cdob's question about my runonce. Does the batch.cmd actually kick off from the runonce command I added in nLite? - cmd /r %source%batch.cmd? Or, does there have to be another command that calls the batch.cmd??

Sorry guys, I'm still learning!