nLite XP DVD will not start - SOLVED!

Mobes

The device is both a DVD/CD reader/writer. It is an internal HP740B. I found a couple of firmware updates but still nothing.

As Ponch and 5eraph mention I'm sure now it is the device that's the problem. I also tried to burn the image using the HP740B with ImgBurn and ImgBurn did not recognize the media. Even though this PC is 6 yrs old, I rarely used the DVD writer. I did test with a video DVD as well and it recognized the media but did not play it.

Thanks for all of your input and help.

Definitely not nLite issue!

Mobes

Haven't investigated yet getting a new drive. However, funny you mention the install from usb, I was thinking about that! :yes: I will check that out. That would be a nice alternative!

I will give that a try.

Thanks

Doesn't look like the BIOS supports boot from USB. :( I'm not familiar with how new that ability is in BIOS. Again, this thing is about 6yrs old...

I still think I want to learn how to create the install from USB.

PCs began to boot USB starting ~2004. If unlucky, check "Plop Boot Manager", if you can still boot from a cd or a floppy, it could let you boot from USB via a new menu (it's fairly simple).

PCs began to boot USB starting ~2004. If unlucky, check "Plop Boot Manager", if you can still boot from a cd or a floppy, it could let you boot from USB via a new menu (it's fairly simple).
Sadly, I just refurbished a POS PCChips (circa 2007) that does not USB-boot (not in BIOS, only "Other"), so that all depends on the Manufacturer. I've yet to try PLOP so I can't vouch for it and also note that it's still in development but apparently works fine.

(note - the "stick" I used w/LiveXP worked on Acer NetBook but not this, even "plugged in" before turned on w/"other".)

Hey Guys,

Just getting back.

I have some questions about booting from USB. Once I'm able to boot from USB, is it as simple as moving the ISO to my USB and installing from there? Or, do I have to create a "bootable" USB prior to putting the ISO on the USB? Also, is the ISO file the only file that should be on the USB?

I was looking at burning the ISO from PLOP and running it from a CD or should I install PLOP on the hdd of my desktop PC? Sorry for 20 questions!

Thanks

Hey Ponch.

Unfortunately, my wife has me doing this thing called work! :( I'm hoping to spend some time on it now. I think what I'm going to do is burn the ISO to a CD and then use PLOP that way on my Desktop PC.

Ok.

I tried a couple of things. I initially tried to follow the Install from Win XP instructions to make PLOP one of the Boot choices.

When I tried to edit boot.ini and save it I got an error that "could not create boot.ini check filepath". I then tried burning the plpbt.iso to CD. I initially ran the CD without my USB plugged in and I correctly got the PLOP boot menu. I successfully booted Windows from PLOP.

Then I tired plugging in my USB and restarting. I go to the menu and selected USB. Unfortunately, I got this message "No configuration file found, no default of UI configuration found". My USB only contains my ISO file from nLite.

I'm going to try to research some. If anyone knows what I'm missing please let me know.

Thanks

Mobes

Ok! I can see it is not as simple as moving the ISO file to my USB! :blink: I'm following the How to Install XP from USB. I have formatted my USB using HP format tool and then I downloaded the multiboot.cmd.

I am only using a Sandisk 4gb USB. How do I know if it has a high enough read/write speed?

Will get back to this tomorrow and hopefully have a bootable XP USB!

Question. In the tutorial it refers to the XP Source file. Do I need to begin with a "clean" copy or can I use the nLited copy I have that I know is the one I want to use?

It looks like from reading through that you can use the nLited version and this is what will be copied to the USB by USB_Mulitboot.cmd, right?? My nLited version includes addons and also a silent Office install. Will there be any problems with this?

Mobes

UPDATE:

Ok, first things first; maybe this was really dumb on my part. But, when I mentioned that my desktop pc did not support from USB, I did not have a USB stick plugged in! :whistle: I really thought the Option would show in BIOS regardless if there was a usb plugged in??

Anyway, so I didn't have to use PLOP. However, I'm keeping it handy.

I followed the "USB Multiboot.cmd Install from USB" tutorial. I did use my nLite'd files previously tested in Virtualbox. Everything went well and the files were successfully copied to my USB.

I booted the desktop pc and booted from USB into TXT mode, no problems. Upon reboot, I did get the hal.dll error, but resolved that by changing the boot.ini to use partition 2 (HP desktop). I reinstalled the USB and selected Step 2 and 3 and successfully booted into the GUI installation.

Everything went fine until it rebooted and I chose Step 3 from the boot menu for USB. Windows booted up but prior to actually getting to the desktop, I got a NO DISK error - Exception Processing Message, options to Cancel, Try Again or Continue. I chose to Continue and Windows continued to boot successfully.

Now, I was expecting (hoping) my unattended install of Office would occur. It did not. Can I get this to work from the USB?

Thanks for everyone's help!