WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

@JFX

Well, whatever it was, I can't recreate the problem above right now. Things are working again. It may have been caused because I renamed an OS Title that appears in the boot selection menu. I want to keep a test VHD that always shows the same name in the boot menu no matter what OS gets installed in it, but Winntsetup always uses the name from the OS in the image when it updates the BCD for that VHD. Is there a way to tell WinntSetup to use a different name for the OS Title?

Edited by click-click

20 hours ago, JFX said:
On 2/22/2024 at 11:43 AM, sakatgg said:

But the folder is deleted in both Server 2019 and Win11

If there is a way to make the filter work in NetFX.txt? Thank you.

Are you sure you don't delete it somewhere else. Lines that get skipped will be logged:

\Windows\Logs\WinNTSetup\*\MinWin_WimHost.log

Thank you. I figured it out, it turned out to be my mistake

6 hours ago, click-click said:

@JFX

Is there a way to tell WinntSetup to use a different name for the OS Title?

No. And i don't want to add UI options for everything.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:27 PM, JFX said:

I would say steve6375 has already given the right answer.

WinNTSetup only applies the WIM to the VHD and create boot files.
The image is still in sysprep phase and therefor will try to "specialize" the BCD store on first boot.

If he immediately boot that VHD with Ventoy it will cause that error.
I don't know how Ventoy boot it, but i guess it uses a virtual boot drive like NTBOOT.
And that can't be seen later in the boot process.

For the "hidden menu" he will need to use newer version.

I think that's happens because of outdated executables in loader (ventoy_vhdboot.img)

14 hours ago, Drin said:

I think that's happens because of outdated executables in loader (ventoy_vhdboot.img)

Could you clarify a bit more, please? I'm always using latest releases of the software whenever I can.

By the way, I'm currently following a variation from my og method:

• On WinNTSetup, specifying a temporal media for the Boot Drive, instead the one from the local disk or inside the same VHD.
  • Boot the 1st & 2nd time from that media (iex USB stick) just for the specialize and generalize passes.
  • Swap the drive with the one with Ventoy installed on it (which loads the VHD).

The reasons for using Ventoy is that allows me booting different image formats easily, and supports virtual disks. 

There are some more requirements for my specific case, but I prefer not to discuss them all in this thread...

Hi JFX...

How we can detect if Disk n is a bootable Disk using command prompt in boot.wim WinPE environment . I have seen that WinNTSetup have following indicators in the UI.

GPT / MBR

BOOTMGR PBR

EFI PART / BOOT PART

How exactly WinNTSetup get above three parameters. How we can do the same using .cmd batch for detecting if Disk 1 is bootable or not ?

Please help...

Edited by devdevadev

First of all, I would like to thank JFX, the developer of WinNTSetup, for developing this excellent software!
Of course, I have a doubt. I used WinNTSetup and used the MinWin function to release the ESD image. Of course, I also checked some optimizations before the release, such as "turn off OneDrive". But after entering the desktop, the original C disk becomes X disk, and this drive letter is really very strange. I didn't use VHD, I just used WinNTSetup in the WindowsPE environment and released the ESD image with the MinWin function, but I don't know why disk C became disk X. I still very much hope that JFX can fix this problem, which may benefit all WinNTSetup users.
In any case, thank you very much for JFX's great contribution to the Internet!

Minwin
There are no settings, but the files in the following folder are deleted, why?

\Windows\System32\DriverStore\en-US
\Windows\System32\DriverStore\zh-CN

Posted (edited)

@suxichao You the first one having that problem. Try to nail down what causing it.

@wuliyen Seems the MUI progression if a bit a aggressive. This should limit it to *.mui files only.

Edited by JFX

2 hours ago, JFX said:

@suxichao You the first one having that problem. Try to nail down what causing it.

@wuliyen Seems the MUI progression if a bit a aggressive. This should limit it to *.mui files only.

WIMHost_1.0.0.9.zip 32.97 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks, DriverStore WORK!

There is still a problem that needs to be fixed
Windows\Boot\PCAT\zh-CN\bootmgr.exe.mui
This file needs to be kept

QQ图片20240304203125.png

What does this parameter do in the system in AntiLog.ini?

[Options]
PerformenceV2=1

Because of it, an error occurs when starting the game Mafia - Definitve Edition on Server 2019

You can somehow roll back this parameter on an already deployed system, so as not to reinstall everything. Thank you.

Edited by sakatgg

PerformenceV2 deletes the registry keys under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\_V2Providers

On 3/4/2024 at 5:57 PM, JFX said:

WIMHost_1.0.0.9.zip 32.97 kB · 2 downloads

I have an idea...
First, when you enter the WindowsPE environment, the WindowsPE files are mounted to disk X, which is allocated by WindowsPE from memory.
I reasonably guess that maybe the optimization project in WinNTSetup's "Optimization Adjustment" may use relative paths (such as% System%, etc.) to apply some optimizations, so in the WindowsPE environment, using WinNTSetup and some optimization adjustment options in WinNTSetup to release the Windows image will cause the final Windows to be applied with some wrong optimization paths, eventually causing the C drive letter to become X disk.
Of course, this is my guess, I do not guarantee that it is completely correct...
This content is translated by translation software, there may be grammatical errors, please forgive me...

Posted (edited)

Drive letter assignment is really simple stuff.

WinNTSetup will calculate and write \DosDevices\C: to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
On first boot Windows will recognize a different drive letter and does all the work. 

On 3/4/2024 at 1:35 PM, wuliyen said:

There is still a problem that needs to be fixed
Windows\Boot\PCAT\zh-CN\bootmgr.exe.mui
This file needs to be kept

This version will add logging for black and whitelist as well MUI and MUN file removal.

Edited by JFX

On 3/7/2024 at 2:22 AM, JFX said:

Drive letter assignment is really simple stuff.

WinNTSetup will calculate and write \DosDevices\C: to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
On first boot Windows will recognize a different drive letter and does all the work. 

WIMHost_1.1.0.0.zip This version will add logging for black and whitelist as well MUI and MUN file removal.

Thanks for the update!