WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

OK,  I wasn't aware that the growth rate would be that high. No sense in pursuing this further. I need to find a better way of getting a reasonable  file diff  of the  VHD.  A full backup of a big VHD each time doesn't seem to be  the way either. Any recommendations how to best backup VHDs or is everyone just using them as throw-away systems without doing backups for them?

Mount the VHD and than create backups like you do on every other normal disk system.

Either a disk imaging software like Acronis TI, Macrium Reflect or a file backing image like a WIM backup.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:10 PM, JFX said:

Mount the VHD and than create backups like you do on every other normal disk system.

Either a disk imaging software like Acronis TI, Macrium Reflect or a file backing image like a WIM backup.

Ah ok. I wasn't sure if backup/restore of/on a mounted VHD  would work the same way as with local partitions.

A popup for VOLUMECOPY mode to notice the destination drive will be formatted (as contrary as WIM apply which keep data by default).
Or better, an option with VOLUMECOPY to keep existing data on destination ?
and even better an option to VOLUMECOPY with WimScript.ini support to skip Temp files, etc  ? (perhaps already asked, I'm not remember if it's possible )

A warning, yes that should be added.
But more options will not be added. It's just a simple action like get used clusters and copy them.
Adding exclusions would require complete MFT parsing, what I don't have the time to implement.

• JFX changed the title to WinNTSetup v5.3.2

WinNTSetup 5.3.2

- native ARM64 code for WIM apply and capture
- WIM apply and capture will be executed as "trusted installer"
- WIM capture UI adds compression level, defaults to wimlib's LZX Fast
- wimlib wimboot apply - changed overlay type to WIM_BOOT_OS_WIM
- wimlib capture WIM - deletes incomplete WIM after operation cancel
- wimlib smooth progress bar for appending operation
- using customized wimlib.dll (do not update!)
- automatically switch to wimlib, if wimgapi can not load WIM file
- fixed cancel setup was ignored during DISM operations
- fixed WinCopy Volume mode problems
- fixed some issues with ARM64 sources
- added advanced VHD creation options
- respect NTFS indexing option on target partition
- no longer downloads ADK files on Win10/11 Host

I am a bit confused by the ini that you get when saving with WinntSetup and the WinNTSetup.ini.txt delivered with each release. Some entries from the saved ini do not appear and explained in the WinNTSetup.ini.txt. Some reflect GUI and Tweak entries, but not always self-evident to which ini entry the GUI or Tweaks relate to. Others are in the help. I thought WinNTSetup.ini.txt was a reference for everything WinNTSetup related.  Some examples:

[WinNT6]
Edition=1
	[WinNT6\TWeaks]
noonedrive=0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    DISM= 
	[VHD] (VHD entries below explained in the help file)
index=0
TxF=0
Log=0
8x3=0
Compress=0
	[WinCopy]
Mode=0
MergeIDE=0
Shrink=0
[WimCapture]
Engine=1
Compress=2
CompressLevel=0
[Diskpart]
Script=
Disk=4294967295

If you want, I could create a txt file for the ini saved via WinNTSetup and comment the entries and to what part of WinNTSetup they relate to. This could be an additional help along with  the WinNTSetup.ini.txt. Some comments would be missing that I don't know, but most of the work would be done.

Edited by click-click

WinNTSetup.ini.txt only show the hidden options. Most of them are uses in initialization and can't be changed later while loading a new ini file.
if you want to document the normal GUI options, sure do and I will add it.

MergeIDE tweak can be useful, if you capture a fully installed Windows and apply it on different hardware.
With older OS you could often get a 0x7B BSOD caused by different SATA drivers.

I don't know if it makes much sense with Win8 and later.

On 10/6/2023 at 4:30 PM, JFX said:

WinNTSetup.ini.txt only show the hidden options. Most of them are uses in initialization and can't be changed later while loading a new ini file.
if you want to document the normal GUI options, sure do and I will add it.

I sent you a PM ...

If anyone is interested, I made a  PDF  which JFX kindly added to  the frontpage that gives you an idea how the saved .ini settings from WinNTSetup relate to the different GUIs.  I tend to preset the ini when installing different Systems and I did not always know  which ini entry is set by the GUI. If anyone finds any mistakes or a missing GUI not in the PDF, let me know and I'll update the PDF.

Edited by click-click

MergeIDE is useful, even nowadays, no more for the old IDE controller but for SATA AHCI / NVMe it allow the hardware switch without a first safemode boot.
MerdeIDE import reg entries from MerdeIDE_*.ini to the applied system registry.