Upgrade to v3.0.5

xper

Unfortunately, with the current default skin/color schemes from IPB, the text for links is barely different from non-link text. Using bold is actually a good idea - never though about it tongue.gif. I went back and fixed the link in that post to be bold, just in case someone else comes across it, and using bold makes a HUGE difference in readability.

The little arrow next to date of last post which should take you to last post don't allways work?

Also I mean can you make it smaller? :lol: looks like a dot on some resolutions and can barely see it.

Edit: Ok I see that clicking the date also takes you there now but had tried that before, maybe it has been fixed.

Edited by maxXPsoft

asterpix.com/searchlight

Is this ad content deliberate? I started seeing it today at the bottom of every page.

I see this domain is blocked by NoScript, so I do not see it. For your question, yes the board will have ads that appear. I do not know if Xper has them enabled for revenue or if it is because of how this new board is.

The following link has always worked and should continue to always work. I added an unneccesary space to the URL to show how short and simple it is compared to the "friendly links" that the forum software likes to use. "Friendly links" aren't friendly if they don't always work. ;)

http:// www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120444

Edited by 5eraph

I am aware of that, but this is not where the problem is, nor seems proper solution. I hope it's not the only one possible.

Do you suggest going to each and every topic and edit the links, which are not using this syntax? How much knowledge is going to be buried?

Currently links to specific posts also use friendly names, as links to topics do, e.g. if one copies link location for this post he will not get the syntax you mention, but will get the "friendly" name.

The forum software's link processing engine needs to recognize all previously acceptable syntax, but it does not. I'm only offering workarounds.

Here is the short equivalent that points to a specific post in a thread. Modify the number to point to the desired post. As before, this syntax has always worked.

http:// www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=findpost&pid=779970

Here is the currently working friendly link:

http:// www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/page__p__779970entry779970

Edited by 5eraph

Right, here is the interesting part my original question was towards:

The forum software's link processing engine needs to recognize all previously acceptable syntax

If I may rephrase my questions:

Is this issue acknowledged by whoever is needed?

Are there any workarounds, apart from editing old posts and replacing that no longer accepted syntax?

Are friendly links going to remain default after this upgrade?

Does one need to manually edit forum links in his replies and replace those friendly links, in order to stay "future proof"?

Slightly rhetoric one- what is going to happen on the next upgrade (eventually there will be such, right?) if the new friendly links become once again unrecognisable?

We are well aware of the link issue. In fact it was around in the last version. I don't think there will be a major upgrade like this for a while, since we are now up to date. Xper has a bunch of things to work on already, this is one of them. He can only do one thing at a time. I personally do not like the "friendly" mode, I preferred the showtopic=xx method, but as long as the board works, I'll deal with it.

Could you please explain why my personal Profile tells me I have one post more than what I actually have? E.g., the Forums page tells me I have 499, the personal profile page - 500.

Edit: before posting this one ;)

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Could you please explain why my personal Profile tells me I have one post more than what I actually have? E.g., the Forums page tells me I have 499, the personal profile page - 500.

Edit: before posting this one ;)

The profile appears to also count posts made in "non-counting" forums, such as the Introduction forum. This would also explain why my post count is 100+ in my profile than on the board. This is something that *might* get fixed by resynchronising the database, but its such a small issue I wouldn't even worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...

The new forum uses javascript code optimized for newest browsers (Firefox 3.x etc.) and forum developers will not change it.

Under Internet Explorer 6 (Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Prof.) the new forum is extremely slow and uses 100% of single-core CPU - and it will not be better even after some optimization. You should use some light version of the new forum or go back to the old version at least for Win9x/Win2000 users and content.

Well, maybe I was not fully right with all suspicions, but at last I found the bug. It IS in Javascript code, and not only.

1. MSFN site uses iepngfix script for Internet Explorer 6, and this script requires to put blank.gif somewhere on the MSFN server. The file should be in path

http:// www.msfn.org/public/style_images/bingo/blank.gif

...but it is missing. The script works for every png file used as a button or icon on every MSFN page, so it is called even hundred times for a single web page. With every call the browser connects to the web site and tries to download missing file. Now imagine hundreds of calls instead of a single one. And it is not the worst - click on the link above and you can see what is really going on.

2. MSFN redirects every missing link to the main page (why? what for?), so every call ends with index.php (index.html) downloaded, 50 KB for every call. Now you can count 100 * 50 KB = 5 MB in HTML instead of 49 bytes in blank.gif. With JS switched off IE6 ignores iepngfix and downloads only requested files.

No wonder that MSFN site's and MSFN users' computers are overloaded. Look at the counter on the MSFN main page - it probably counts every guest using IE6 many times (the more threads or posts per page, the more hits counted per single user).

In the end: another missing feature - I cannot find how to change date/time format setting, I can see only timezone change in User Control Panel.

Edited by Usher