Upgrade to v3.0.5

xper

@LoneCrusader

We had a lot of issues with IPB 2.3.6. Issues such a registration failure, cookies issues, login failure and a lot more. I guess it is because of several upgrades in the last 5-6 years.

Not to mention this: IP.Board 2.3.6 and Related Applications: end of life announcement

"Our products work in any modern, standards-compliant web browser, such as Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 2+, Safari 3+ and Opera 9.5+. While Internet Explorer 6 will generally work with our products, it is not a supported browser." (IPS)

IPB 3 Features Tour

Sorry for this to short description. It's to late here.

I've been experiencing fluctuations on the site twice today. First I thought it could be something with my internet connection or the browser I'm using, but I quickly eliminated them all. So, from time to time, on both Firefox 3.6 and IE8, the site is inaccessible or there is a connection timeout when I try to filter new content and open any MSFN link from a google search.

Thought you might like to know.

I'm running a dual boot configuration of Win2K/Win98 (actually 98SE2ME) using Firefox 2.0.0.22pre on both O/S and have experienced no slowdowns of any kind on the board. (My computer has a 3.4 ghz. Pentium Prescott with 1 g. of RAM-admittedly not much in today's world but 2K never uses more than about 1/3 of it and 98 even less). I have IE removed on 98 (via 98lite) and soon on 2K as well.

I am using NoScript on Firefox and a hosts file with over 100,000 entries (MDGX's version plus several thousand from another site and my own additions.) Between the two, I rarely see ANY kind of an ad, banner or other unwanted crapola on any site.

To the person earlier on this thread who asked about NoScript: If I could only have one add-on for Firefox it would be NoScript. (At one time, Firefox even considered adding it to their browser.) The latest version works great with 98 and FF 2x. I've even made a donation to the developer of NoScript. Get it!

The site does seem much slower than before. Don't like this new setup at all.
I am using Opera v9.64 and Firefox 2.0.0.20 under Win98SE on my 10-year-old Inspiron 7500 laptop, 700MHz, 512MB RAM. Firefox on this old laptop has no problems with scripts at msfn.org, even when 11 other websites are open in other tabs. The fan, however, is continuously on, and CPUIdle shows heavy CPU usage.

I don't like the new appearance of the forums of msfn.org either, there is too much spacing between the lines. Somehow the readability of the forum pages has decreased substantially.

You're between a hard place and a rock.
Our products work in any modern, standards-compliant web browser... While Internet Explorer 6 will generally work with our products, it is not a supported browser.
A low backward compatibility is the hallmark of buggy and mediocre software: Compatible only with other software with large market share, saving support$. And when the backlog of bugs to be fixed gets too big and too difficult to solve, a new version is released, together with an end-of-life announcement of the old can of worms.

A high degree of backward compatibility is the characteristic of top products. When a hardware or software product, for example, has listed both Win98 and Vista/Win7 compatibility, you can buy it nearly blind out of the box, it's most likely an excellent product. Beyond Compare, for example, is an excellent program, and v2.5.3 works with Win95 thru Win7x64; they are even supporting v1 for Win3.1. And you can have both v2 and v3 installed at the same time.

The lack of backward compatibility of IP Board would raise a red flag with me; over the intermediate term I would look at alternatives. I would even venture to predict that v3 will prove to be more buggy than v2.

We had a lot of issues with IPB 2.3.6.
This may confirm my comments above

Don't get discouraged by the difficulties and keep up the good work!