KernelEx 4.5.2

That's my fault since i'm the feature-pusher. So far there are following release do-wants:

- Printer problems (not reproduceable)

- Flash problems (minor / no clue)

- AlphaBlend improvements

- setup improvements

- MSI compat db

- wiki

Are people trying to get XP or later only printer drivers to work in Windows 98 using KernelEx, or are they saying that drivers that are supposed to work under Windows 98 aren't now working because of KernelEx!?

My printer (Stylus Photo R285), supplied with Windows 98 compatible drivers, works fine, both before and after applying KernelEx.

:)

My Epson printer colour stylus 680 still works with KernelEx RC5 installed, it just doesn't print web pages from FF 3.6.

My Epson printer colour stylus 680 still works with KernelEx RC5 installed, it just doesn't print web pages from FF 3.6.

Which to my understanding is an intrinsic problem with Firefox 3 under Windows 98, even with KernelEx installed, nothing to do with the printer driver itself. I don't think it works with any printer drivers.

Personally I think it's been a great achievement by the KernelEx devs to get Firefox 3 to run under Windows 98 at all!

IMO getting the Firefox printing to work comes under the same category as getting Java to work in the latest Opera versions.

Something to investigate for the next version of KernelEx, not something to delay the release of this version for!

I've been following the "printer problems" with some interest, as I use an Epson USB printer myself.

Are people trying to get XP or later only printer drivers to work in Windows 98 using KernelEx, or are they saying that drivers that are supposed to work under Windows 98 aren't now working because of KernelEx!?

All the drivers I have installed were released for Windows 9x

As I said, I have Epson drivers for a printer and a scanner installed, but the problem appears with an HP printer.

All are USB 1 connected.

Which to my understanding is an intrinsic problem with Firefox 3 under Windows 98, even with KernelEx installed, nothing to do with the printer driver itself. I don't think it works with any printer drivers.

Personally I think it's been a great achievement by the KernelEx devs to get Firefox 3 to run under Windows 98 at all!

IMO getting the Firefox printing to work comes under the same category as getting Java to work in the latest Opera versions.

Something to investigate for the next version of KernelEx, not something to delay the release of this version for!

Dave,

Can I ask, have you stopped new PM's for yourself on here?

Trying to make more programs compatible with it before then will only result in it never being released.

New compatibilities can surely wait for the next version!

I can tell you that there are a few programs (not many) I can't run but would love to and it's been quite hard to refrain myself asking whether they could be made to work until now.

I personally don't care about FF3 printing issues at all but would love to be able to run:

Picturenaut 3 - http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html (crashes on launch in msvcrt)

Aodix 4 - http://www.aodix.com/pageaodixv4.html (runs but does not display the UI inside the window)

FFRend - http://ffrend.sourceforge.net/ (runs but crashes in nvidia dlls as soon as I load a video or image file)

VST plugins written with the Juce GUI framework such as those: http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html (they load in hosts but either display a blank UI or the UI seem to have a zero vertical size and extremely big horizontal size). Handiest host to quickly test this out is savihost - http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm (drag drop the vst plugin dll onto the savihost executable and voilà)

That's about it for my wish list besides the regression which makes the recent versions of Apophysis 2 (those who can load plugins) display indefinitely a big hourglass again. (used to be fixed in an older release of KernelEx). - http://sourceforge.net/projects/apophysis/files/

:sneaky:

Edited by loblo

Picturenaut 3 - http://www.hdrlabs.c...naut/index.html (crashes on launch in msvcrt)
You need to define APPDATA and USERPROFILE environment variables.

CharlesF , we need you help. The printer drivers you have are old and most likely can't be affected by KernelEx. Crash you had happens in spool32 which is excluded from KernelEx. There were no core changes between RC4 and RC5 either. Please elaborate on your problem:

* does problem occurs with KernelEx installed in 'disable by default' mode?

* how bad is hang and what it seems to be caused from (message loop, high cpu usage, i/o, windows drawing, etc)

* does problem happen with spoolss.dll from winme?

* if you decide problem is surely RC5 specific, try RC5 with kernelex.dll from RC4.

Edited by Tihiy

CharlesF , we need you help. The printer drivers you have are old and most likely can't be affected by KernelEx.

Thanks to take time to look in my problem!

The drivers are the last version (at least, I found) to be Win 9x compatible.

* does problem occurs with KernelEx installed in 'disable by default' mode?

If you mean to tick 'Disable KernelEx extensions' in compatibility tab, I have try it without reboot but it doesn't help.

* how bad is hang and what it seems to be caused from (message loop, high cpu usage, i/o, windows drawing, etc)

What am I suppose to do to know that?

With a light doc file, printing only is freezing with the printer icon remaining in systray.

If I try with a heavier one, all system is hanging.

* does problem happen with spoolss.dll from winme?

SPOOLSS.DLL version 4.10.2223 French 103 KB

I can upload it if you need.

* if you decide problem is surely RC5 specific, try RC5 with kernelex.dll from RC4.

I will have to reinstall KernelEx RC 5.

I do as soon I find the time, maybe tomorrow and come back with report. :)

This thread is for discussing KernelEx *only*! :realmad:

Start another thread, if you need, but do stop hijacking this one!

I understand, I did try and PM Dave-H but his message box was full and I was unable to leave him a message, so I thought it was only courteous thing to do was to reply to him, but I take what you say.

That's about it for my wish list besides the regression which makes the recent versions of Apophysis 2 (those who can load plugins) display indefinitely a big hourglass again. (used to be fixed in an older release of KernelEx). - http://sourceforge.n...pophysis/files/
Researched that. It was working in 4.5b2 and won't work anymore since it's makes bad assumptions about process/thread IDs. This change was removed in RC1 since it caused a lot of troubles.

Following of post # 1016

CharlesF, we need your help.

I will have to reinstall KernelEx RC 5.

I do as soon I find the time, maybe tomorrow and come back with report. :)

OK, here is my report:

• Starting from KernelEx 4.5 RC 4 -> printing on HP LaserJet 1022 is fine.
  • Uninstall KernelEx -> printing is fine.
  • Reinstall version RC 5
    -> Scanner Epson Perfection 2000 USB is running fine.
    -> once again same problem (freezing) when I try to print from Word 2000 (9.0.8961 SP-3). I have to do Ctrl+Alt+Del to go out.
    I have uploaded a few stuff (ressources in Task Manager, Filemeon & Regmon log):
    After several minutes, I get a page printed with only the few first words of my printing try (but nothing else).
    -> printing from IE6SP1, Maxthon or Opera 10.63 seems without flaw presently.
  • Replacement of KernelEx.dll(RC5) by KernelEx.dll(RC4) using a WININIT.ini and reboot, doesn't change anything.
    I have even made another try by replacing the default content of the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx' registry key from RC5
    by the content from RC4 (in addition of KernelEx.dll replacement), but it doesn't help.
  • At last, new uninstall of KernelEx 4.5 RC 5 and downgrade to RC 4,
    ... and once again printing is smooth & instant!
  • Something else: if I go to Control Panel->System, my printer appears in error(= yellow question mark) ,
    with stated in Properties (free translation): 'Device state: Driver not installed (Code 28).'
    It is the same with no KernelEx installed, RC4 or RC5.
    I have also tried to unplug the printer from the USB2 card to a USB1 port (and reboot) but it doesn't change.
    ... but the fact is that it had always been working fine like that in all circumstances.

HTH

Charles.

That's about it for my wish list besides the regression which makes the recent versions of Apophysis 2 (those who can load plugins) display indefinitely a big hourglass again. (used to be fixed in an older release of KernelEx). - http://sourceforge.n...pophysis/files/
Researched that. It was working in 4.5b2 and won't work anymore since it's makes bad assumptions about process/thread IDs. This change was removed in RC1 since it caused a lot of troubles.

Too bad :} Thanks for looking into it anyway. :hello:

Something else: if I go to Control Panel->System, my printer appears in error(= yellow question mark) ,

with stated in Properties (free translation): 'Device state: Driver not installed (Code 28).'

It is the same with no KernelEx installed, RC4 or RC5.

I have also tried to unplug the printer from the USB2 card to a USB1 port (and reboot) but it doesn't change.

... but the fact is that it had always been working fine like that in all circumstances.

Now that's insane. Look around, you have NT drivers! In filemon and drwatson logs, there are mention of dlls which don't belong to drivers you posted: SDIMF32.DLL, QDPRINT.DLL, SD32.DLL, SDDM32.DLL, SR32.DLL, ZGDI32.DLL, ZSPOOL.DLL, etc. Wtf? It's possible that's NT drivers and they started to work with RC5 :blink: but not well ofc. Tell me where to get these files, or i'll have to treat this an invalid situation and not a regression.