Why do you still use 9X

win95guy

Just for what it's worth.....I'm set'n here using a 98se box because it's fun...I flat out enjoy it.

It doesn't try to 2nd guess my every move, it doesn't plead with me to phone home everytime

I plug some piece of hardware in. It's been here connected thru a dsl line behind a Netgear router

for 2 1/2 years without a single virus. I use it for a mini ftp server when working on machines for

friends, using a progam called babyftp.

I have a laptop here that came with Xp Pro, and I use it when I wanna set on the couch to do some

research, but somehow, I'm always coming back to this machine to get any serious work done.

Maybe it's because I cut my teeth on Dos, who knows.... and as far as innovation, to my way of thinking,

Windows 95 layering a 32 bit OS overtop of a 16 bit machine was true innovation. I still remember trying

to get my brain wrapped around the idea of protected mode drivers... :rolleyes:

Anyway, something tells me there will always be a 98se box active around her somewhere. :hello:

Jake

I have a pen attached with a thread to my monitor screen.
Sveikas Fredledingue, good idea for a desktop, but hard to do with a laptop.
I also don't need to wait one minute (two with vista) before starting to look for a document... Finaly notes on paper are an absolute necessity to reinstall any windows OS properly.
I have been entering most of my notes into InfoSelect, since 1991. I had the problem of never finding my hand-written notes. My installation notes, e.g. for operating systems, I print out under InfoSelect before proceeding with the installion. InfoSelect 3 (of 1995) works fine under Win9x and WinXP, it's my most-used application, it's portable (no installation needed, just file-copy). In usually less than 20 seconds (the time it takes to think of and enter a good search string) I can find all notes of interest in my pile of notes accumulated during the last 18 years.

Just for what it's worth.....I'm set'n here using a 98se box because it's fun...I flat out enjoy it.

It doesn't try to 2nd guess my every move, it doesn't plead with me to phone home everytime

I plug some piece of hardware in. It's been here connected thru a dsl line behind a Netgear router

for 2 1/2 years without a single virus. I use it for a mini ftp server when working on machines for

friends, using a progam called babyftp.

I have a laptop here that came with Xp Pro, and I use it when I wanna set on the couch to do some

research, but somehow, I'm always coming back to this machine to get any serious work done.

Maybe it's because I cut my teeth on Dos, who knows.... and as far as innovation, to my way of thinking,

Windows 95 layering a 32 bit OS overtop of a 16 bit machine was true innovation. I still remember trying

to get my brain wrapped around the idea of protected mode drivers... :rolleyes:

Anyway, something tells me there will always be a 98se box active around her somewhere. :hello:

Jake

Oh yes. One thing I will never forget is Real Mode...

So, anyway, after reading all the back and forth that has little to do with the original topic, let me offer the following ...

Win98 does what I need. How much do I need to read eBooks waiting for a doctor's appointment or take notes during a session? How much do I need to send & receive RTTY or copy weatherfax transmissions? Not a heck of a lot. In a couple of cases, stepping up to Win2K is necessary but there aren't a lot of them. One of them is the only machine that will have an internet connection.

This machine is what it is and runs XP for one reason only - it's identical to one I made for my daughter so I could help her with any problems by "remote control" (but not remote attachment) and trying to make them happen on mine. (Okay, yeah, she's spoiled but isn't that what daughters are for? :D)

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it ... unless I get a better offer. :P

... and a WC, and I love them all.

Well, I'll confess you all my hidden secret: I try to keep attentive to use each of these things for its own finality... :thumbup

:lol::yes:

Oh yeahhh!

Being PC and WC two very similar words, when I try to enter in the internet I always keep attentive to use the keyboard and not the flush chain instead... :rolleyes:

Edited by cannie

This machine is what it is and runs XP for one reason only - it's identical to one I made for my daughter so I could help her with any problems by "remote control" (but not remote attachment) and trying to make them happen on mine. (Okay, yeah, she's spoiled but isn't that what daughters are for? :D)

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it ... unless I get a better offer. :P

:P

[OT]
(Okay, yeah, she's spoiled but isn't that what daughters are for? :D)

This statement makes me feel uneasy. I hope you're joking.

[/OT]

LOL if you have problems with people that spoil their children then youll love this:

post-158212-1250027835_thumb.jpg

Thats my 6 year old son sitting at his PC at his desk. (watching wipeout on Hulu)

His PC specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6

4GB Ram

250Gb HD

DVDR/W Drive

MS Intellimouse Explorer & Spongebob Squarepants Keyboard & Mousepad

22" Acer monitor

Windows Vista Home Premium (cant have him using an OS thats older than he is thats just not right)

Also pictured:

UB Funkeys

Nintendo DS

Mess

I still use Windows 98SE because my WinXP system's hdd, after 4.5 years of continuous running, died two days ago (same reason I'm using my IBM 300PL also).. and besides that I know many more ways to break windows 98 and also many more ways to fix it when it breaks.

By the way, being that this is my first post, I feel it a great time to commend the message board and site for being an excellent resource.

I still use Windows 98SE because my WinXP system's hdd, after 4.5 years of continuous running, died two days ago (same reason I'm using my IBM 300PL also).. and besides that I know many more ways to break windows 98 and also many more ways to fix it when it breaks.

By the way, being that this is my first post, I feel it a great time to commend the message board and site for being an excellent resource.

A similar thing happened to me in March of this year. Something happened where my motherboard died and I could only use my 98 PC until I was able to get it fixed. I wouldn't say 4.5 years old drives exactly means they are bad. My XP computer has 2 10 year old drives in it and run fine. They are C Class Maxtors too!

Well, the hard drive isn't exactly dead, but the firmware seems to have become corrupted, or something similar. First time it has happened to a Western Digital for me anyway. Funny how my Seagates from 25+ years ago still run perfectly. Other than that reason I also use Windows 98 because It is often better for running software that my XT can't handle, and my WinXP machine is too fast for.