Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Didn't see it on a search but I bought Roxio RecordNow 7.3 a few years ago for my xp systems.... but it also works fine with all the win98 systems I've set up here so far.

Popped in quite a few different cd/dvd burners in the machines and RecordNow works fine with just about everything under win98se. A little flakey on one of the oldest 96mb ram 98se machines, but that's life. I'm not sure if it's still sold anywhere. Maybe Amazon etc.

Edited by billyb

sorry for offtopic ...just do not know where to ask more

..set opera 11.62

1. do not tell how to remove the black box (see screenshot)

*I remember that once solved this problem when the opera was 10.62

2. how to fix problems with the display of speed and size of files being downloaded? (see screenshot)

Windows ME, kernelEx 4.5 final .. Opera 11.62 run in compatibility mode for Windows 2000

grateful for the help))

post-296309-0-85917600-1336010117_thumb.

post-296309-0-04529900-1336010523_thumb.

I know there has been much discussion about Opera for Windows 98, but what is a current version of Opera that has decent speed for downloads, not too worried about Java etc. oh and where can I download it from?

I know there has been much discussion about Opera for Windows 98, but what is a current version of Opera that has decent speed for downloads, not too worried about Java etc. oh and where can I download it from?

Without KernelEx, 10.10, with KernelEx, 11.64. Google for links they are not difficult to find at all.

And btw it's not because your max internet bandwith has been increased by a factor of 3 that your download speed will similarly increase for everything you download. Many (most) websites will limit the bandwidth/datarate per connection to a certain maximum and if your connection is capable of more it simply remains unused.

Without KernelEx, 10.10, with KernelEx, 11.64. Google for links they are not difficult to find at all.

And btw it's not because your max internet bandwith has been increased by a factor of 3 that your download speed will similarly increase for everything you download. Many (most) websites will limit the bandwidth/datarate per connection to a certain maximum and if your connection is capable of more it simply remains unused.

I know I said not to worry about Java, but just curious if Java works with version 11.64 of Opera?

I tried to install Opera 11.64, when I clicked on the exe file it said it was extracting but at the end nothing happened!

I checked to see if it had extracted in the temp folder but it hadn't.

I also checked whether the KernelEx mode was showing on properties and it had it as XP Mode, I also changed it to KernelEx default mode but the same thing happened, any ideas why?

When I clicked on properties of the install icon the version description said 7z Setup SFX, do I need any particular software to extract this package? I would have thought that it wouldn't have looked like it was extracting though if that was the case, any ideas?

Edited by frogman

FWIW, 7z-SFX can be "split" (7zsplit.exe) to get the "install command" (ref. Self Extracting 7-Zip Install Creation thread on this) and the 7-Zip ZIP file (which can be extracted). From there, attempt to run the Setup manually (instead of from the TEMP folder).

Note: You can also use a Hex Editor to find the "config.txt" as per "layout" (the Install Command), go to the end of it, and delete it and all preceding (the SFX module) then save as "something.7z" for extraction.

HTH (I don't use Opera or Kex...)

You can extract Opera installers with the explorer context menu if you've got 7-zip installed and then you can just copy over an older installation or run it from the extraction folder for testing (as it then won't use settings of the installed version). ;)

You can extract Opera installers with the explorer context menu if you've got 7-zip installed and then you can just copy over an older installation or run it from the extraction folder for testing (as it then won't use settings of the installed version). ;)

Ok, I know what you mean now, I use the right click explorer function, as I don't have Opera on my system any longer which option do I take from the 7zip explorer menu and what do I run?

Edited by frogman

If I were to extract all the files say into a folder I have called Opera, is it the Opera.exe file that I run which is file version 1403?

Is this actually installing the program though? somehow I think I don't have this right. :}

Next you just right click on opera.exe, set it to NT4 or 2000 compat mode and then you run it by double clicking on it, that's all. ;)

Btw, when you install 7-zip it installs a shell extension in explorer with which you can extract archive, including self-extracting executables such as the Opera installer, without needing to launch 7-Zip itself, that's the context menu I was speaking about.

Also be aware that if you've got another version of opera somewhere else in a folder named opera they will both share the same settings, history etc... I f you want to have separate settings for different versions of Opera, make sure they are in folders that have different names as Opera will use, or create if none exist, a folder of the same name as the one containing the Opera.exe under C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera.

If you've got Opera in a folder named Opera, its settings will be stored in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera

If you've got Opera in a folder named Opera 11.64, its settings will be stored in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera 11.64

And so on.

Edited by loblo

Hello Frogman you should change the properties of the opera setup exe file under the kernelex tab to win 2000 sp4 and then it works.

Ah ok, but is that actually installing the program?

Now that I have managed to extract the files I take it that it's the Opera.exe file I should change on the properties for the KernelEx mode change? then you say it will work.

By the way, before I go for this, how does the Java work on it, and also is there loads of page annoyances with this version of Opera? I ask as I had installed version 10.10 but then I removed it, and at the moment I have I.E 6 and Firefox 3.6.28

Edited by frogman