Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Thank-you for the feedback siria, don't think anyone else has put this much effort into the issue. My primary Windows 98 browser is RetroZilla. Unfortunately it does not appear to have similar about:config entries. Have been playing with about:config and various preferences, not much improvement. Unfortunately in RetroZilla there does not even seem to be a way to make View -> Use Style -> None default. Every new tab opens with the 'Default style' view, frustrating and lots of toggling. When i get a chance will review old SeaMonkey extensions again and see if there's anything there that may help. A trivial improvement is unchecking 'Allow documents to use other fonts'. This provides a more consistent font presentation and when visiting pages like Wikipedia, it stops the missing foreign language font popups i can't read anyway. Deselecting 'Always use the colors and backgrounds specified by the web page' is beneficial for unintended overlapped text with a non-contrasted background. It does, however, take away from the intended appearance of the page, so personally i don't like using it. Since roytam1 has updated many of these old browsers for connectivity, query whether future updates are possible for web page layout. My vote would be to improve non-JavaScript rendering. Since trying to count my blessings more in such a troubled world, prepending most problems with 'My first world problem is enter_trivial_problem_here' helps keep things in persepctive.
  3. Thank-you for the input Deomsh. Not 100% sure i've ever used USB with Windows 98. Always PS2 keyboard/mouse and parallel port printers. Years ago a Windows 98 system had a printer and separate scanner, presumably one used parallel and the other USB. This current printer is USB only. Everything USB related in BIOS is enabled. In Windows 98 Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers are enabled. Under this are two 'Standard OpenHCI USB Host Controller' and two 'USB Root Hub' entries, all have associated drivers. Under Other devices is an exclamation yellow 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' with no driver. I tried installing drivers for the exclamation yellow PCI Universal Serial Bus from the motherboard driver package and Windows 98 CD, no such driver. The motherboard has four USB ports, two by the ethernet connector and two by the mouse/keyboard ports. When a generic 32 GB USB stick is plugged in during runtime, the system powers the USB stick and pops up a Mass Storage device driver wizard. Apparently the Windows 98 CD does not have such drivers. The situation appears to be like the link below, the download is 'nusb36e-2694.exe' (969 KB). Has anyone got experience with this, it's just to get a 'mass storage' USB stick working correct? If i don't need mass storage, it appears the USB port is powered and functional to test a printer without the 'nusb36e-2694.exe' install? https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-install-usb-mass-storage-device-on-windows-98/ Just want to get this right to give the printer every chance of working. This Window 98 system does not need access to USB sticks for data storage.
  4. @TechnoRelic > wrote a private message...
  5. All nt5 oses are best and their tan looks cute .
  6. I will try to make a patch . Opatch has documented everything . I have already ported some patches for server 2008 but I didn't share anywhere .
  7. https://0patch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018881053-Which-operating-systems-are-currently-supported-by-0patch- https://0patch.com/pricing.html https://0patch.com/patches.html CVE-2020-0674 Internet Explorer is free
  8. @DrWho3000 Your last post seems to have nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Shouldn't it be here?
  9. Thank you, and coming with a nice modern theme :)
  10. Yesterday
  11. Im sorry to say when testing the latest test binary of iceape-uxp on my XPsp3 this error message is returned: Xul runner Couldnot load XPCOM
  12. Sorry, I don't know how to do that. Seems like maybe I'll just uninstall AG and find something else that works better. Thanks anyway.
  13. That was exactly the solution I was looking for, thank you so much!!!!
  14. have I got this correct ? Create A txt File With Following pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0); pref("general.config.filename", "config.js"); Name It config-prefs.js Place Here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref Create a txt File With Following // needs to start with a comment line Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm"); Services.obs.addObserver(function (aSubject, aTopic, aData) { var chromeWindow = aSubject; chromeWindow.setTimeout(function () { Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/UserAgentOverrides.jsm", chromeWindow); chromeWindow.UserAgentOverrides.init(); }, 1000); }, "browser-delayed-startup-finished", false); Name it config.js And Place Here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox Now you can use useroverride strings this is what i used to have and the general.useragent.override.xxxxxx would work now they don't I would have general.useragent.override Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 then general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0 and whatismy browser would read i am upto date on 8.1 FF 73,,, now it seems as if it is sniffing out the correct version as being on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 where have i gone wrong
  15. Could you be more specific ??? Where (http URL) did you source the Language Pack ??? Did you modify it in any way , in order to have it install successfully ???
  16. If you have the English version you can't change the display language to Hebrew, you just need a Hebrew version for it.
  17. to get mpeg-4 mime videos to work in firefox apparently i need these 2 set to true or defaulte media.windows-media-foundation.enabled (it;s not in FF) but instead of this I got this as default media.windows-media-foundation.allow-d3d11-dxva (this was already in FF) will i have to add this in manually is it a string or boolean media.directshow.enabled which this is as some sites i goto i have video format not supported, yet on html5 test i have ALL blue ticks
  18. The fact that it uses an ancient version of Resource Hacker without support for x64 stuff and that the wfpdisable.exe it comes with doesn't work on XP x64 are probably it's biggest issue. I haven't found a way to edit the contents of the installer to replace these two, and manually editing all the system files is highly error-prone.
  19. Well, that's not good. Folder deleted, system restarted, error persists.
  20. has this now disappeared as i no longer she this instead it is this ""https://www.youtube.com/supported_browsers"" is there another test site to see if you have all installed i found this https://html5test.com/
  21. Delete c:\AeroGlass\symbols folder and restart your PC. If it does not help, then your Windows installation is broken.
  22. Good spot . So is this a unique instance where binary can't be read and deliberately encoded to be such, right? That examples to read binary exist suggests binary values can be read usually.
  23. The OOBEtimer key contains binary values, nothing that you can ever trasform into a "comprehensible string", unless - by sheer luck - those values are in the ASCII range of printable characters AND they are readable. Have a look at the value in Regedit, example: I don't think that "ÿÕqÖ‹joÕ3“ý" means anything. jaclaz
  24. OK, thanks! What I am really trying to do is slipstream updates into the Vista ISO. Except if I just use vLite to integrate all the updates through 2017, it fails (the ISO boots and gets to "Install now" and then i get an error about install.wim or something) So basically I have to try all possible permutations of the 400 updates and see which ones fail and which ones work. It is a length process but hopefully at the end I will have a blacklist and whitelist of Vista updates so that as much as possible can be slipstreamed right into the ISO.
  1. Load more activity