Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

Hi. Does basilisk 55 (x32) use more ram than basilisk 52 (x32)? New Moon (x32) should use even less ram?
  4. I did a test and confirmed it for myself. Page Faults go way up when you use EmptyWorkingSet habitually. It seems all it does is push as much as it can to the disk cache. But what did you mean by "usually"?
  5. ... that any time has sadly come I haven't tested newly released v12.1.0, though; pity that in 12.1.0 they chose to upgrade to .NETFramework 4.6.2, when the last installable on Vista is 4.6.1 !
  6. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

But according to Changelog and GitHub issue #3201 ... so, it's ShareX 12.0.0 (2017-11-27) the very last one usable on XP (& Vista); and it's ShareX 12.1.0 (2018-03-19) and later that require Win7+
  7. @VistaLover First of all, thanks for testing. And bk52 is not very well tested, and will have a deeper look in next snapshot build.
  8. ... For people not following this, I am testing both Basilisk browsers by @roytam1 on a Windows Vista SP2 32-bit Toshiba laptop, with an Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz processor (physical RAM is 3.00 GB) . Reasons are: 1. Official Basilisk (/Moebius) from Moonchild Productions is Win7+, only 2. Basilisk/UXP is also only Win7+ ; while Official Pale Moon still supports Vista SP2, once it'll be ported to the UXP platform it won't ; so I have a vested interest in working Basilisk (52/55) browsers on my Vista OS @roytam1 : I have good news and bad news ; good ones first: I have thus tested Basilisk v55.0.0 (2018-03-17) 32-bit (buildID 20180317010020) and can confirm that 1. DuckDuckGo search engine results (e.g. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=basilisk&ia=web ) display fine 2. Webpage http://oscar.go.com/red-carpet renders fine 3. Mixcloud site now loads OK (without crashing browser) , screenshot below: Bk55 has some lesser issues on Vista, one I'd like to mention here is: a. Windows Media Foundation is broken (i.e. the browser can't access system decoders - pref media.wmf.enabled isn't valid on Vista SP2 (whether true/false); this is because the original Mozilla source Moonchild forked for Moebius was already broken in that respect As I'm sure you know, WMF is absent on WinXP and present in an improved form in Win7+; in fact, I tested Roy's Bk55 builds on a Win7 system and there WMF works as expected... OTOH, Roy has restored html5 playback of MP4 (h264/aac) on both XP+Vista through his ffvpx patch, so that on Vista it's actually media.ffvpx.enabled the pref that controls that (instead of media.wmf.enabled); it appears though that certain functions, like DRM, depend on system decoder pathways to function properly, so this brings me to b. WidevineDRM is broken on Basilisk55 on Vista SP2 ; while Roy's Bk55 builds have --enable-eme=widevine in their configure options, the CDM itself is present (v1.4.8.903) inside about:addons (and in my profile dir), plus all widevine prefs are at their correct values, I can't get it to work on Vista ; not a surprise, but Widevive CDM inside Basilisk55 works fine if the browser is tested on a Win7 SP1 machine! FTR, Widevine works fine on this Vista SP2 laptop if I use current FirefoxESR 52.7.2 32-bit (one site you could test is ITV2 live stream ; you need an ITVHub account and a UK IP address - real one or pretend to be in the UK via proxy/VPN ). WMF/DRM issues aside, Basilisk55/moebius holds the best promise as a FirefoxESR replacement on Vista, when that time comes... ... Now the bad news: So I then tested Basilisk 52.9.0 (2018-03-17) (32-bit) (buildID 20180317021409); my results with regards to reported issues: 1. DuckDuckGo search engine results (e.g. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=basilisk&ia=web ) display fine 2. Webpage http://oscar.go.com/red-carpet does not render OK , it still looks as posted previously here 3. Most unfortunately, mixcloud still provokes a browser crash : What do you make of that? Why reverting matbech/zlib was enough to cure things on Basilisk55 but not on Basilisk52? I am at a loss here... Some additional info on Basilisk52/UXP on Vista: 1. While the Moonchild devs first laid their hands on a perfectly Vista-compatible source of Mozilla FirefoxESR 52.6.0, the massacre that followed created sheer havoc to many aspects of the code relevant to XP+Vista; while @roytam1 did his best to revert as much as possible of the damage done, Basilisk52 has noticeable GUI issues on Vista, especially with the default setting of WinAero enabled ; here come two screenshots of the default (Australis) skin with WinAero on: Normal window Maximised window The solution I've chosen at present to mitigate those GUI glitches is install a third party complete theme (FTDeepDark); since it's only one person involved in these forks, I fear it'd be difficult to fix them... 2. As for WMF on Vista with Bk52, the FirefoxESR 52.6.0 original source had it working OK, Moonchild broke it on purpose but, thankfully, Roy brought it back! . On Vista, either media.wmf.enabled;true or media.ffvpx.enabled;true can control html5 playback of h264/aac media files... 3. WidevineCDM on Bk52 on Vista SP2: It was working fine in Roy's build of Basilisk 52.9.0 (2018-02-24) 32-bit (buildID 20180224095320), but it is broken in all subsequent builds ! My understanding is the Moonchild devs did something and broke it themselves, in an effort to tailor the browser's EME system to their view of things (and their known aversion to DRM modules inside browsers - Pale Moon doesn't support DRM, despite the fact many more media providers turn to DRM for their content); I've tested Bk52 on Windows 7 SP1 and discovered that Widevine is broken there also... FYI, any of the following commits could've broken it: Move --enable-eme out of mozconfigure · MoonchildProductions/UXP@507827c Don't build GMP-clearkey when not building EME. · MoonchildProductions/UXP@011dac2 Don't include MediaKeySystemAccess without EME. · MoonchildProductions/UXP@55d0373 Don't build EME-specific subroutines without EME. · MoonchildProductions/UXP@46ad119 Remove unnecessary front-end features and pres when not building EME. · MoonchildProductions/UXP@c88c161 Fix up leftover merge conflicts. · MoonchildProductions/UXP@1dbd979 Merge branch 'master' into EME-work · MoonchildProductions/UXP@2772787 Merge branch 'EME-work' · MoonchildProductions/UXP@e10dfb6 All these commits were pushed after dc7cecc , which was the code snapshot buildID 20180224095320 was compiled from... Apologies for this lengthy post, I wanted to be as detailed and thorough as possible... Keep up your brilliant efforts
  9. That's strange... I'm not receiving any sort of kernel errors with this version of Handbrake on my fully updated, Vista Business x64 SP2 install. I'm not able to further test functionality of the program on Vista though, as I'm still waiting on a new PSU for my Vista machine. I'll have to test it when I replace the PSU, which should be within the next couple of weeks. Anyway, yet another program has (unintentionally) dropped support for Vista... The newly released Java Development Kit 10 and Java SE Runtime Environment 10 will not work in Vista, due to a missing function: And @VistaLover and I were just discussing Java support in Vista just two weeks ago... SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 20, 2018: Updated Sandboxie to UNS status, as the software no longer officially supports Vista as of v5.22. Despite this, the software continues to work in Vista. This could change anytime. Removed last night's Norton 360 addition as I didn't know the software had been discontinued when I added it. Added ShareX to "Screenshot Software" section. Removed ONG tag from Java Development Kit 9 and Java SE Runtime Environment 9 entries; added Java Development Kit 9.0.4 and Java SE Runtime Environment 9.0.4 as last versions for Vista in "Software Development" section.
  10. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Darn, the problem seems to be just on my end so, though it's odd your browsers ran sandboxed, and Notepad wouldn't. My brain is boggled trying to figure this out, hopefully the Sandboxie Devs come up with something. Thanks for testing, I owe you one . Yeah... sad news, been running Sandboxie on my Vista system for 9 years now, my favorite Windows App. Completely changed my computing experience.
  11. Hello, I used this tutorial https://www.raymond.cc/blog/create-an-integrated-up-to-date-windows-7-install-disc/ which recommends using nLite and WUD to slipstream into an installation image. I'm new at this and I just wanted to ask you guys if you also use these programs, or would you recommend something else. I also have a question about the ULs. Does it make sense that the newest UL from March has fewer updates than an older one from February? Does the newest ULZ always contains ALL updates since SP1 release? Thanks!
  12. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

You're welcome! I am able to run the latest Pale Moon, IE9, and Opera 37 (last version that runs on Vista) sandboxed just fine. However, when trying to run Notepad sandboxed, nothing happens (the program simply won't open - no errors are shown). I didn't know Sandboxie no longer supported Vista... I'll have to mention this in my Last versions of software for Windows Vista list. At least they don't block the software from running entirely.
  13. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Thanks @WinClient5270 & @mike_shupp for the replies, much appreciated . @WinClient5270 , I'd searched online, with no luck, for any problems with KB4089344, and it never dawned on me to check the KB article , ...oh well, lesson learned for next time . RE: Sandboxie. With KB4089229 & KB4090450 installed, I'm unable to launch any programs sandboxed. Like your image above, I can install the latest version of Sandboxie (5.24), and open the Sandboxie Control Window, just cant run anything sandboxed. If you get a little free time, I'd be much obliged if you could you do me a favor, and see if you can run your browser and/or notepad sandboxed. Just right-click their .exes and select Run Sandboxed from the context menu. Thanks. I've already posted over at Sandboxies forum, crossing my fingers I can get it fixed. https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25590 No bother at all, thanks for your help .
  14. Yesterday
  15. IE 8 in 2018?

@heinoganda Of course, that would certainly explain it! Thanks yet again!
  16. IE 8 in 2018?

@Dave-H If you run ProxHTTPSProxyMII, it would explain this phenomenon. The following website works for me under IE8 in Windows XP only with ProxHTTPSProxyMII. https://dev.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html
  17. Boot Issues

Yes. Thanks. I will download them and have a play. Since I am testing at least I can break anything ! I have never used the XP Disk Manager. Only GParted and BootIt. Cheers
  18. IE 8 in 2018?

I'm a bit puzzled here. I have KB4019276 installed, and have had for some time. When I visit those test sites in IE8, https://www.howsmyssl.com and https://cc.dcsec.uni-hannover.de/ with no registry modifications, and just TLS 1.0 checked in the Internet Options, both tell me I'm using TLS 1.2! Is that correct, and if so isn't it working anyway?
  19. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

No trouble (yet) with March updates, but I had a problem with KB4073080 from back in January -- shortly after installing it, the things I was running on PC basically froze (as I recall, IE 9, eMule, Win Explorer, Notepad or something on this order). I restored my last backup and reinstalled the January updates at a one per day rate. and the same update caused the same problem when I got to it. I'm running Vista HP SP2 x64 on an AMD FX870 on an Asus Sabertooth MB. I've 16 GB of memory. Vista's on a 1TB WD disk, Win 7 and 10 on 2TB Seagate disks.. FWIW, my copy of the that update was downloaded 1/16/18. MS reissued the update in February, perhaps with changes, but the 64-bit file (AMD64-all-windows6.0-kb4073080 ....621fe.msu) retains the same size, same long filename, same internal time stamp. I seem to be running okay without it.
  20. Hi Sfor, Thank you for your donation of --. We look forward to improving the forums and stay online with your donation. Thanks MSFN
  21. Aero Glass Deactivates Automatically

It worked! Thank you! That cleared things up a bit! Now my computer looks like it is now running Windows 7! (I hate flat ui)
  22. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

https://getsharex.com/ ShareX 12 now requires Windows 7 or Higher. Version 11 - XP
  23. Boot Issues

Is it MBR? Get Beeblebrox: https://web.archive.org/web/20090225081908/https://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/ It should work fine on XP, but depending on a number of factors it may not, or another tool, like - still say - dmde: https://dmde.com/ or *any* other tool that: 1) can access the physicaldrive 2) shows the partition table Check this image: the "old" alignment was based on cylinder/heads, ultimately it resolved to LBA offsets of 63 or multiples (the StartSector field in the above). The "new" alignment (that is what you actually want for a SSD) is obtained with LBA offsets of 2048[1] or multiples. A word of warning , If you have any logical volume inside extended you should NEVER, and I mean NEVER use the Disk Manager of Windows XP to change ANYTHING on the disk, see: http://reboot.pro/topic/9897-vistawin7-versus-xp-partitioning-issue/ jaclaz [1] strictly speaking this is not accurate, the point is having on SSD's multiples of 4KB, i.e. 8 sectors, but MS decided to default to 1 MB, i.e. 2048*512.
  24. Please can someone help me out? It's concerning MPC-HC.

25. Boot Issues

Hi, Not sure this belongs in this in this section but here goes. I recently ran into an issue in aligning my new SSD drive. The problem revolved around moving and growing partitions which resulted in boot errors. I managed to resolve the problem but wanted to make sure that my solution was sound so that I could rely on it in the future. To this end I was wondering if I detailed what I did whether someone very much more knowledgeable could offer some advice. I received a new SSD drive to upgrade my current HDD (non ssd). I cloned all the partitions with Clonezilla, the partitions are in the following order: XP, Win 7 and a data partition. Everything went ok and I could boot into both o/s from the SSD. I then proceeded to check the alignment of the SSD drive which showed that the SSD was not aligned correctly (in System Properties). I used GParted (have used it before) to move the partitions as per this article. http://blog.eracks.com/2012/08/proper-alignment-of-your-ssd-using-gparted-open-source-software/comment-page-1/ However, upon trying to boot into XP, I got the following message (as per screenshot). Win 7 would not boot either At this point I did try to use the recovery console on XP and Win 7 but will skip detailling this for now. I then decided to move the partitions back to where they were before. XP booted ok but with Win 7 I needed to use the recovery disc method to fix it. In any case at this point both o/s partitions were booting fine. I read through several posts and some were advocating the use of Mini Tool Partition Wizard (free). I downloaded this tool and installed it on XP. I proceeded to open the software and align the XP (1st partition) which it did correctly. Mini Tool Partition Wizard said that the Win 7 did not require alignment. There were no issues booting to XP or Win 7 after using Mini Parttion Tool Wizard.. I also used Mini Tool Partition Wizard to test and move the Win 7 partition along the disc, which it did correctly and again there were no booting issues. It moved Win 7 within XP ie no reboot. So any reason why Gparted is giving boot errors when I try to align / move partitions? Should I just be using Mini Tool Partition Wizard as it seems to work? Was this the better way. Not sure what to make of it as I have read many post about users who run into boot problems when they resize their partitions especially if they dual boot XP and Win 7 As I said at the beginning of my post I wanted to make sure that what I did was correct, for future use. Sorry for long post and many thanks for any info provided Cheers
  26. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

@Ruan - I can confirm that I experience the bluescreen issue on my Vista Business x64 virtual machine: However, the article on the update that you linked (KB4089344) points out this problem: I performed the workaround on my Vista install, and found that the problem no longer occurs. However, since I (and most likely most Vista users these days) prefer to have the Desktop Window Manager enabled, this solution will likely only be viable for users of Windows Vista on older video cards which don't support Aero/DWM, or users of Windows Vista Starter (which doesn't support Aero). The issue likely occurs in Server 2008 as well, but being a Server OS, most users are going to have the DWM turned off anyway so I doubt it will be much of an issue for users of that OS. As for the Sandboxie issues, what symptoms are you experiencing exactly? I don't use the software myself, so forgive my ignorance, but I am able to run the program just fine on my fully updated Vista VM: Thanks for reporting these issues.
  1. Load more activity