Laptop to be powered on for two weeks... Good or bad?

gamehead200

Hey guys,

Here's my situation... I'm going to be gone for the next couple of weeks (on March Break) and since my neighbourhood has been a bit too burglar-friendly in the past, I've decided to put together a cheap-o surveillance system.

I haven't had any problems with keeping a desktop on for a long period of time... However, I'll be placing a webcam attached to a laptop in the back of my house which will take shots every 10 seconds or so, which will be uploaded to a web server in my basement WIRELESSLY.

My question to you all is the following...

Considering that taking a picture and uploading it wirelessly to a server every couple of seconds isn't too processor-intensive, will the heat generated by the laptop (which has fans, duh, lol) be a bad thing over the course of two weeks? The laptop will be placed on a wooden table and will be within a few feet (say 3 or 4) of a room heater.

Thanks. :hello:

well it also depends on how old it is... if its a newer one, you'll be fine. if its like 5yrs or older, im not too sure, but it should be fine.

Yeah, it's about 5 years old, but still in pretty good condition. Hasn't been used too much, actually.

or depeding on how your laptop is built, if you can unscrew a plate which covers the heatsink and fan from underneath take it off, and place it about a inch or 2 above the table service so on spacers as such, i find with my A6Q laptop, if i take the plate of the bottom, the temp is roughly 17 degrees cooler during idle and 8 degree on a full load.......that way i can leave it running over a few days if i have to, i havent really had a problem.

not neccesarly..........on my A6Q my processor sits on the bottom of the laptop hence why i have to remove the bottom plate so the heatsink and fan are open

but my Inspiron 5150 if i remove the keyboard then the heatsink and fan have open air access

• 2 months later...
haha, yes you are. but how about we just take out the keyboard :)

then you can get plenty of airflow

try just taking out the keyboard, it seems the best way to keep it from overheating

it's pretty difficult to do if you haven't done it before, but it can be done :thumbup

i am working on a old fijutsu e4010, it's like 6 yrs. old, whenever i would boot up, it would make it's fans run like crazy, very loud, you could tell just by listening to it, that it was already getting hot inside...

but i had to take out the keyboard anyway because it was bad, (someone at work spilled soda on it at one time or another) and when i did, it didn't even have to run the fan at all

cooled it down immediately, almost to room temperature

and charging the battery for two weeks isn't a good idea anyway, you should take it out and just plug in the laptop directly,

otherwise it could shorten it's life