recommended version of office

sven

I just bought a new dell laptop, and i really don't want to have to use corel word perfect for all my documents. i'm looking for a good version of office to install on here. my other computer has office 2002, but i'm still debating whether or not to buy an upgrade to office 2003. i'm not interested in office 2007, i've gotten too used to the menus i have in the old versions of office.

thanks

I've tried every release for office 97 ... 2007

for laptop and work... I recommend 2003 typical install, and just install the application you want to use only, do not install every thing, also download the SP2 for 2003 will improve the performance.

I'm used to work in that filed for more then 7 years, I've wrote a lot of documents types. so 2003 is really much better and I did not find any bugs yet.

I'm curious to hear what's really better about the older version. I just can't stop wondering.

There's many improvements to PPT 2003 - and not only backgrounds, animations and transitions (mind you that's already quite nice to have). Things like smart tags, package for CD (no need to have ppt nor the viewer installed on client PC - it makes your presentation 100% self-contained!), better menus and task panes - including new slideshow toolbar (very neat) and reasearch pane, thesaurus (finally), ink support (just give it a try - there's no turning back), sharepoint support (a must for those working in teams), improved viewer, better image support (when exporting or optimizing), better auto layout, the little autofit thing that appears when you paste too much text in a box (offers to autofit text or to split it to another slide automatically - I use it quite often), new media player for those who tend to put some clips on presentations (not uncommon at all) - which is quite improved and supports things like playlists or playing fullscreen, producer 2003, very cool custom animations (you can even use paths - even hand drawn ones! And it has good sequencing too) - I mean, just check these...

Honestly, I've tried very hard, but couldn't think of a single thing that was better in the previous version, yet doing the inverse was trivial.

Powerpoint 2003 is FAR better IMO, they don't even compare. Same applies to every single one of the other apps from the suite.

Actually, thinking of it, it can't be too much longer before they release version 2007. One just might be better off waiting and buying that one then.

I hadn't mentionned it as I have not tried it yet, nor had I looked much at it. I wasn't sure of how the new GUI would be and things like that. But i just saw a couple videos and it's looking very very nice.

5 min video using word 2007: create "21st century" documents in word. There's a bunch of other videos too. It looks promising - at least when it comes down to styling stuff and XML support/usage. I'll definitely be upgrading :)