Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Last time I ran it I untoggled your 98SE2ME and 98MP10 modules and did not experience that weirdness. Now you say it was caused by SHELL98? Hmm, was that taken out of 1.7? Or, toggled off by default?

I was guessing from what I was doing at the time. I thought SHELL98 was a good candidate for being the culprit as it looks like something to do with shell32.dll being incompatible somehow. So don't quote me on that (even though you can cause that's what I wrote).

I hope that now that you got the same error that I did and understand what I was talking about we can permanently figure out how to stop it from happening (what to NOT install)!
The problem is I can't reproduce the bug on demand.
Yeah, what about those Environment space warnings? I need to right click and change the memory tab Initial Environment to the (4096?, I forget) largest in the drop down in the batch files I see there. But then I still get the warning in the first screen about it but when I choose to run it anyway it works with no environment errors any of the further screens. That IS something that is a bit buggy about auto-patcher and it will not run without my right click fixing.
Yeah sorry about that environment warning at the start --- the values I set to trip the warning are completely arbitrary and the problem is that if I add more options and modules to auto-patcher, then more environment space gets used. So the problem stems from the 1.7 update -- i didn't increase the value the triggers the environment space warning. I would guess that its saying you are only a few bytes over the limit anyhow and as you've seen, the program works fine. The REAL value for problems with environment space should be 2048 which is a long way away from what you should be experiencing. I'll make this change in 1.8 --- just so you know, my thinking was that if I gave a very narrow environment space range as the values of what the user should be experiencing, then anything different would have alerted them to a problem before trying to run auto-patcher. I didn't want auto-patcher to spit the dummy in the MIDDLE of doing its thing.
soperific
Do ya mind if I nip something in the bud? The first few times I didn't bother thinking it was a typo...

[i typed "dict soporific" into firefox]

sop·o·rif·ic (sŏp'ə-rĭf'ĭk, sō'pə-) pronunciation
adj.
1. Inducing or tending to induce sleep.
2. Drowsy.
n.
A drug or other substance that induces sleep; a hypnotic.

if you met me in person, you would very quickly find out how appropriate my online name is. :rolleyes:

[i typed "dict soperific" into firefox]

Spell Check
Did You Mean:
soporific
hypnotic
sapor
specific
saporific
sleep (condition – in medicine)

This probably hasn't happened to you too often, there's not much you can get wrong with only 3 letters to your name :)

Edited by soporific

Funny thing is that if I do not right click and increase the Initial Environment in the Memory tab's dropdown box, the next window DOES error out and auto-patcher will not proceed.

So it's not just a problem with the first window. Once I've changed all the batch files and shortcuts in the auto-patcher folder's root, there are no more errors. I don't get it.

Sorry about the misspelling. I was worried that sometimes I capitalize it! I had no idea about messing up the spelling as well.

By the way, I'm currently exploring the world of OpenSUSE Linux 10.2. I happened to be kvetching on another forum about how expensive the new Windows Vista was. One guy replied, "You need Linux." The next guy said, "Here we go!"

Heh, heh.

Well everything I can think of has been downloaded and burned. Been reading like crazy. Thank the maker it's mostly GUI these days. Saw those early FAQ's that are still on the main Linux.org site. Sheesh, that command line stuff seems a bit much. I grew up with Windows 98 so even my MS-DOS command knowledge is meek at best. Got no idea how exactly I'm going to set it up as far as partitions, etc. but I'm gonna do something with it. I'll let you know if my computer (or my brain) blows up.

I think I'll stick 98SE on here first just so I can have some normal access to all the old stuff I have. Gosh I hope I don't get that "Error loading device IOS, real mode memory allocation failed" that seems to haunt me whenever I install a real 98SE system instead of VMWare.

Guess I won't say much though. Completely off topic.

soporific,

What's a spliff?

And, maybe we'll get lucky and never see that weird explorer window bug again? Look at the Revolution Pack thread. Tihiy seems to have located a file replaced by 98SE2ME that messes up unless the Revo Pack is installed first. Is that file possibly related?

Did you get error messages about powrprof.dll (or pwrprof.dll, I forget) when you got the weird windows? I did. Seems to have disappeared with the newer 98SE2ME, 98MP10 versions. Hope it stays gone.

Would be nice to know what caused that exactly, though.

:whistle: heres the problem you got 4 guys trying to fix 98se and when u patch modify a user dll etc with a newer one etc u will use functionally with a older program looking for the orginal 410.2222 dll .one program helps then the next conflicts with another and i read how it use to work before i installed such and such etc etc is there not a better way instead of installing one over another perhaps one exe with proven success.similar to gapes sp2.1 but including all usefull stuff. because it gets frustating if i install 98setome and rp7 etc one always affects the other in some bad way and u either gotta reinstall remove or replaced with orginal dll . Edited by Randy_Rivers

What's a spliff?
serious? .... well if I went with stereotypes, a spliff would be something a hippie passes you to smoke at a party... B)
And, maybe we'll get lucky and never see that weird explorer window bug again? Look at the Revolution Pack thread. Tihiy seems to have located a file replaced by 98SE2ME that messes up unless the Revo Pack is installed first. Is that file possibly related?

i'll have a look and no i didn't get any errors to do with powrprof.dll

The good news is that v1.8 is just about ready to go. This is basically my preview release as it now comes with an installer and uninstaller, and the final release I hope to spread far and wide. The final will probably be the last version for a long while, barring any big bugs that I should fix, so get your feedback in now !!! The change log will eventually record all the changes from v1.7 ... stay tuned ...

oh and I gave up on my project for this project to be in perfect harmony with Microsoft's Windows Update, i mean, what was I thinking? If i didn't have 1,543,788 other things ahead of it in priority, i'd be working on it right now, honest!

Edited by soporific

oh and I gave up on my project for this project to be in perfect harmony with Microsoft's Windows Update, i mean, what was I thinking? If i didn't have 1,543,788 other things ahead of it in priority, i'd be working on it right now, honest!

Thanks sporofic for this great project. Its great.

yeah, WU is a tricksy beast...

couldn't you just add a text file on the desktop detailing which updates aren't needed after this is installed?

that's the only confusion I have about this, buddy.

pass that this way, my tumors hurt...

::cough cough::

Well, what Windows Update says might differ depending upon what other software is installed. A lot of software, especially from Microsoft, installs system updates and some of those are duplicated on Windows Update. Even if already installed, or a corrected unofficial version is installed, these updates go ahead and do their thing regardless.

I don't think re-running auto-patcher would fix an older update being installed over a better update installed by auto-patcher previously. But we would want some way to correct the problem as whatever older, buggy dll's or other dependant files installed by the older version of an update could mess things up.

What's nice is that although auto-patcher would not be itself reinstall an update detected as already being on the system, it DOES have all the updates in the auto-patcher folders. So as long as we are aware of which update we need to reinstall, we can simply go to the folder and run the update again ourselves.

If we don't know which one? Well, we don't live in a perfect world, unfortunately!

Anyway, basically after running auto-patcher there is nothing we need from Windows Update. The only thing we need to keep watch on is the sticky thread which is regularly updated with new releases by our guru's that contain security, updated fixes, etc. Whatever is on Windows Update is not going to change for 9x as Microsoft no longer is making fixes for these operating systems. So that thread here becomes our personal Windows Update!

Just be careful as there's no automatic system to determine the proper operating system to install which versions of the newer 3rd party guru releases to install. We must read the information provided and decide for ourselves accordingly.

I think that between the auto-patcher's final release, 98SE2ME, and 98MP10, we have a great start for a fresh 98SE installation. Then we just need to keep watch on that sticky thread for future updates.

Gosh I'm really excited about the sort of final we'll be getting of this with most things finished such as the improved installer/uninstaller stuff. The computer's about to be wiped for fresh installs of 98SE, XP, and OpenSUSE Linux. I'm still downloading stuff and reading like crazy.

I bought BootIT NG so I won't have to be a prisoner to all these operating systems choices of how to partition and boot. They'll all think they're the only game in town as each partition will contain all the boot files that particular operating system needs instead of them being all dumped on the first partition and dependant upon the last operating system installed to handle things. I just hope I will understand BootIT NG enough to do it correctly. I've watched every video and printed out all the documentation but my brain still needs to process all this new stuff. It's always the guy/gal at the keyboard that actually has to use stuff properly. And it's not all easy stuff either. Just trying to get through the Novell startup stuff is making my brain hurt! But I insist that I at least understand the commands, even if I don't remember them all, before jumping in headfirst.

Nice that SUSE by default now automatically installs GRUB to the Linux partition instead of overwriting the boot sector like it used to. One less hurdle.

Oh! So that's what spliff's are. I'm from an older generation and/or geographic location. I never heard that description before.

Edited by Eck

couldn't you just add a text file on the desktop detailing which updates aren't needed after this is installed?

I've added some information to the readme.txt file but what I should also do is name the updates so the USER can relax in that the 7 updates that WU reckons are needed are named and shamed beforehand.

pass that this way, my tumors hurt... ::cough cough::
you don't need a medical reason ... as you well know!! I thought the comments by singer George Michael were good ... he said that if his drug of choice was alcohol he wouldn't be nearly as healthy as he is from being a pot head instead, in terms of how much he's taken over the years. He said if he had, he'd look and sound like Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones ... anyway, don't get me started, especially not about this question of who parents want their kids to have relationships with, ie the government in the form of taxed regulation, or drug dealers and organised crime.... we gotta legalise it obviously ...

More info on that Windows Explorer bug I reported recently --- it seems it was the test system I was using - there was already an earlier version of MDGx's killer WMP replacements and so I uninstalled it, the bug went away, I re-installed the latest WMP pack and no bug. Yay.

That's cool! Very happy if that weird stuff won't show up again.

Don't see legal happening in the political, religious, all kinds of complicated kind of environment we have. But I agree 100 percent that it should be. Would solve lots and lots of problems and would enable me to actually have access to it as I no longer have contact with anybody from my youth that can get it. Miss it! Absolutely will not seek from strangers or grow. I still see headlines of homes with plants being raided. So nothing for me unless it's in a store (or if I ever travel to Amsterdam I guess). Been more than 20 years since I've so much as smelled it in the air!

Anxiously awaiting the new release. An-ti-ci-pa-a-tion is keeping me waiting. :rolleyes:

Ohhh, you put tobacco in it? Ewww. I smoke Marlboro but wouldn't want to hold my breath taking a drag. Ouch!

Edited by Eck

What's with this emule? Okay for those that want it installed, but I use uTorrent. Why not have a normal torrent file available? And perhaps some RapidShare.com and/or Megaupload.com links for those who don't want to install anything?

I did try emule at one time because I needed something that only was available on it. I never used it for anything else. I suppose I could go through that again since I'll be wiping my hard drive anyway once I get the new auto-patcher, but a torrent would be a lot more conveniant.

I understand you can only do what you can do. So whatever, I'll do what's needed to get it. I just feel that installing unnecessary software shouldn't be needed.

AFAIK, the "free" hosts you mentioned above do not support resume and/or download managers. Given that not all of us have blazing speed Internet connections, the eD2k solution might be a good compromise.

As for torrents... it's just a bit more complicated, with seeding and all - I never understood the system nor fancied the clients, so I can't offer detailed explanations, but I've read answers to a very similar question recently.

I always use GetRight for both RapidShare and MegaUpload. No problems. There are certain files that for some reason do not support resuming but most are fine with that too.

It might be because I pay for Premium accounts. Perhaps they don't allow download managers or resuming on free downloads? Not sure. Of course I wouldn't pay for Premium (and never did for a long time) unless I encountered some of the huge downloads. I just didn't have patience to wait hours and hours for being allowed to download.

Torrent's are easy. I only adjusted one option in the options (encrypt files and allow legacy downloads), and just needed to check my speeds at Speedtest to fill in the proper numbers at the beginning. Otherwise it's all automatic. I just download a torrent, start uTorrent and let it login and update, then choose File, new torrent, and browse to the torrent I downloaded. It puts it in My Documents\Downloads. Then I leave it there for a period of a day or so while also leaving uTorrent running so I can be a good boy and seed it back for others. Unless I'm in a big hurry to use the stuff. Then I'm a bad boy and close down everything so I can get busy. I try not to do that too often. The seeding is also automatic.

Out of curiosity, I ran a report on my current system, which only has a few official updates and some manual upgrades installed. The list of *not found* updates is impressive, however I found some of the items that I do have installed are still reported as uninstalled. Grrrrr... So here we go:

• dun14-se: Dial-Up Networking 1.4 for Windows 98se (official package installed)

• DirectX9: DirectX 9.0c (October 2006) (August 2006 installed; does it know it's August and not October?)

• q323455: Directory Services Client Update for Windows 98 (official package installed)

• UCopy2GB: Unofficial Fix for Bug When Copying Files Over 2gb in Explorer (manually installed)

• 48BITLBA: Unofficial Update for Drives over 137gb (not for IBM portables) (manually installed)

• 7-ZIP: 7-Zip 4.42 (file archiver) (already installed 4.43 beta - don't ask where from, it was out there)

That's all I can do for now; I don't have a testing machine yet, will try to put one up soon.

Eck: http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-11-29/