Remove Catalog Files: Yes or No?

ZileXa

According to Siginet it is not wise, problems with drivers could occur. Also it would NOT speed setup up. Altough it says so in nLite.

Any comments about this? I'd rather go for stability, but if removing those files has no influence then I go for speed ofcourse.

The option is under the Advanced button in the Hotfix Integration part.

EDIT: I know about SFC, people say it's not a problem if you don't use SFC. But even if you don't use SFC Siginet doesn't recommend it (I asked in Siginet's forum why the option is not in RVM and I got that answer so now I wonder why it is even in nLite).

Edited by ZileXa

I have heard (Not seen for myself) that missing cab files can cause problems with drivers.

Also yes removing the cat files can speed things up but that is only in the case where you get over the 150 # of cat files limit. somewhere over 150 cat files windows experiences a gigantic slowdown at the t-39 mark.

The reason why the integrator no longer supports removal of cat file is that it is no longer neccessary as Ryans update pack and wmp10 packs no longer hit that limit. Plus it ensures their is no problem with any missing cat files.

i used to NOT disable it, because windows would ask for driver approval when plugging in usb hard drives / keys, i think in the newer pack ryan has removed the updated usbstor.sys file (think its called that), so you no longer get the message

i now remove cat files, can't say i've noticed any other 'bad' things happening,

siginet will know 10x more than me on this though :)

150 limit for direct or non-direct integration?

I've heard about the 150 limit too.

However, I was wondering if the fixes are directly

integrated into the OS, will there be any cat files generated? Will it slow down when you

exceed 150?

If one doesn't directly integrate the fixes into the OS, then the 150 limit may/will apply then.

Any comments on direct vs. non-direct integration and the 150 fix limit?

You only get the .cat files when you do direct integration.

Hmmm really good point there as far as I understand it the 150 limit would not count because non direct integrated hotfixes are proccessed at t-13 not t-39. However, you will still experience a slowdown over direct integration because the whole package needs to be proccessed and installed but with direct integration most of the work is done pre-install so it computes it faster.

Think of it this way what would be quicker and cleaner running 1 install with 150 mini installs for patches. UGH! Or running 1 install with all of the updated files and regentries already built in.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

If the 150 cat limit is ever exceeded again I will put the option back into the integrator. But I don't see that happenning any time soon. nLite is a tool for slimming things down... so it makes since that nuhi leaves that option built into nlite. I was supprised to see so many people use that feature still. But it isn't a feature that I want to have in the integrator. It is possible however to create an addon for removeing the cat files if someone wishes to create one. But like I have stated... removing cat files does more harm than good at the moment. If someone creates an addon for removing cats they could find the needed cats and make sure they aren't removed. Removing cats does not save much space at all either. The integrator automatically compresses all cat files for you as it is.

I mentioned this previously, however I would like to see an option in nLite to remove .cat files after integration - e.g. I have integrated RyanVM into my XPsp2 source using Siginet's tool, but now wish for nLite to strip these files away when it works it's magic.

Cheers,

James

x

If you're disabling WFP, the only CAT files that are really needed are the ones corresponding to drivers so that they'll appear digitally signed to Windows (otherwise you'll got prompted whenever you need to install a piece of hardware that happens to use that driver).

The reason I was asking this, nLite warns about the catlimit:

nliteok4.png

And I want a fast Setup so I did nLite again removing the CAT files. I disable WFP and also the digitally signed warning so I suppose there won't be any problem.

list of hotfixes I have integrated (RyanVM's Dutch updatepack from january (has QFE updates, thats why I still use the january version) + hotfixes after january):

RVMUpdatePack1-06NL.cab

WindowsXP-KB908531-v2-x86-NLD.exe

Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB911280-v2-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB911562-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB911927-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB913580-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB914388-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB914389-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB916595-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB917159-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB917344-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB917537-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB917953-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB918005-v2-x86-NLD.exe

WindowsXP-KB918093-x86-NLD.exe

Edited by ZileXa

it is better to remove cats if u have more than 150 hotfixes

otherwise setup will bedmn slow

i eXPerinced it

i had my boot to Desktop time( including app install)s abt 20~25 mins

when i added hotfixes from autopatcher without removing cats

it stuck abt 15 mins on the t39 mark

hi! i've tried both removing .CAT files & just leaving them in SVCPACK folders & they both work for me ... initially, i took the advise of Bledd:

click advanced, remove cat files ;) + disable windows file protecion in the patches section

its not stuck, just going through the files really slowly!

& it worked for me ... .CAT files are needed by SFC :)

• 3 years later...

Bump, it's an old thread but it's still an open thread!

so, if i disable the SFC i can safely delete all KB******.CA_ from my svcpack folder ?

i use an update pack for xp sp3 and i have about 200 of those.

If you're disabling WFP, the only CAT files that are really needed are the ones corresponding to drivers so that they'll appear digitally signed to Windows (otherwise you'll got prompted whenever you need to install a piece of hardware that happens to use that driver).
But, then again, one could set a global policy not to check digital signatures, and then get rid of all .CATs. Just go to Security Settings/Security Options/Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior and change this setting from "Warn but allow installation" to "Silently succeed".