Western Digital Or Maxtor?

22 members have voted

1. 1. Western Digital Or Maxtor?

• Western Digital
    • Maxtor

yellllllllllllo,

im going to buy an 80gig hdd, but i dont know who i should go with..

the western digital has an 8meg cache compared to maxtors 2meg.. but im wondering about what you guys think.

thanks,

Cazzman.

i have a 600jb, an 800jb, and a 1000bb from western digital. great drives.

i also have a maxtor diamondmax 160gig/8meg that i picked up dirt cheap ($0.61 per gig after rebates). and its an ata133(and came with a pci ata card). granted you dont see a hugh boost going from 100 to 133, but it does test higher than my 1000bb.

I have all 3 mentioned here plus seagate.

They all run the same speed as benchmarked in HDtach. I'd recommend you making sure they come with a 3 year warranty. Some of them only come with 1 now a days, but they are all good HD's.

Since any speed difference is hardly noticeable by the end user, Western Digital for their excellent three-year warranties.

I had one die on me, entered my serial on the internet, and found out I was under warranty until 2006! They sent me the new drive, no questions asked. I sent them my old one at the same time, so from the time I told them I had a problem until the time I got a new drive:

Five days.

I just bought a Seagate Barracuda 120 GB. It is very quiet and has some sort of cushioning system they claim makes it better for recording music as it helps eliminate the hiss associated with hard drives. I really do not know if it does what it claims to do or not as I do not record music. It is quiet though and has performed nicely for the past two months as a file server. All my other hard drives are IBM DeskStars better known for data storage and real work horses.

I would always opt for a hard drive with a 8 MB cache instead of a 2 MB cache. It is also important to select a drive that matches your motherboards ATA specification as previously suggested. Without looking at the model etc I would look for any major manufacturer hard drive with these minimal specs: ATA-133, 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache if possible. Even if the motherboard does not support the ATA spec (mine is ATA-33 in the above configuration) you would still be prepared for the future if you find it necessary to change the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

edit. the 3 year warranty is also desireable.