Link21 lives

wizardofwindows

What do you think about Windows Vista link21 ?

I would say Vista is like a large truck. It is way too bloated and will swallow up all the resources. I'd rather just use Windows XP x64 or Windows Server 2003 x64 for true 64-bit computing needs of Windows applications. Windows XPx64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 are both true 64-bit operating systems. They are not just 32-bit operating systems with 64-bit extensions.

Edited by Link21

Windows XPx64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 are both true 64-bit operating systems. They are not just 32-bit operating systems with 64-bit extensions.

Yeah, unlike POS Win98SE/ME that are just POS 16-bit operating systems with POS 32-bit extensions. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by eidenk

If some of you people keep saying that Windows 98 is more superior than XP, then how so? Please explain. Some people keep saying that and don't give clear examples.

W98 is not "superior" to XP but in some way it's "better" than XP.

"Better" depends on the point of view:

What is better?

An OS that is stable or an OS that is virus/hacker safe?

A good quality Kernel, or a PC the way you like it?

A 2 Gb install or a 350 Mb install?

But XP is is maybe the worse disapointment, if not the worse OS, because it was supposed to be the perfect OS, that fixed all the 9x problems, have better interface etc...

Instead they just made a POS, a stable one.

Vista will be a joke too, you will see.

I'm sure there are already countless viruses for Vista already out.

Linux? Good luck!

It's ok for e-mail and text editing on Open Office, beyond that, as soon as you need a special program, a special driver or a specific task, you end up dual boot with windows anyway.

Linux? Good luck!

It's ok for e-mail and text editing on Open Office, beyond that, as soon as you need a special program, a special driver or a specific task, you end up dual boot with windows anyway.

Linux would be the best if only there were native Linux binaries for all the games and applications I use.

Edited by Link21

im not just sympathising, but i have to agree with link21 for the most part. XP and 2000 and 2003 are so much better. just in the fact that are more stable, i like them. they not only perform better, but they handle the hardware better. my inspiron 7000 laptop, under windows 98, doesnt have the power to run WMP with a visulization at full screen, but under XP it works so much better and stuff. plus, the game red faction runs under 2000/XP, but under 98/ME it just barely gets passed the first level without me gettin irritated and just shuttin it down. so, id have to say that XP is by far the best for the home user, not in the fact that looks nicer, but that it performs better and that its stable. with windows 98, id have trouble just gettin my network working. anyway, so .... idk lol. i like XP, but on some computers, you just have to run what they were designed for, even if that means .... 98.... o_O id much rather run XP if i can though, also it makes older computers seem worth keeping lol. anyway, thats just me.

-brian

Windows 98 less buggy than XP? Excuse me if I'm wrong, but 98, well, the whole 9x kernel has stability issues, frequent BSOD's and crashes. With 2K/XP/2003, I hardly encountered any BSOD's, unless if my hardware plays up. 9x just randomly causes BSOD's and crashes at anytime.

I don't think 98 was very stable. So XP here beats the stability issue of 98. I use XP because I can get my work done better than 98, and more advanced networking support.

Windows 98 less buggy than XP? Excuse me if I'm wrong, but 98, well, the whole 9x kernel has stability issues, frequent BSOD's and crashes. With 2K/XP/2003, I hardly encountered any BSOD's, unless if my hardware plays up. 9x just randomly causes BSOD's and crashes at anytime.

I don't think 98 was very stable. So XP here beats the stability issue of 98. I use XP because I can get my work done better than 98, and more advanced networking support.

It's only unstable if you run badly written applications and drivers. And 98se is more stable than 98fe.

@Link21: "It is not completely true. You don't have your Windows XP setup properly if that is what you are experieicning. " Take a look at how trimmed-down my XP pro is:

Taskmgr:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8608/taskmgr6vj.png

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7959/taskmgr28wm.png

Services:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/82/svcs6un.png

...and it's still noticeably slower than 98se. It may boot faster (approximately 1 second faster than my customised 98se which does load more drivers than the XP) but in use it's slower.

Hi all :hello:

I think each OS has it's advantages for different users/uses

The best solution is to multiboot all the OS's you might need

I have 2 windows98SE, 1 XP, 1 linux

I have a PII 933MHz with 512MB Ram and a geforce2 MX200

Windows98SE gives me a responsiveness(low latency) that I don't achieve with XP, and I'm a gamer so that is more important to me than Stability or Eyecandy.

For me the perfect OS would have the simple Look of BBlean, no colours,no transparencies, no bloat, Performance and the ability to give all the computers resources to the app I wana use.

People say a 3.0GHz PC's can handle Bloat OS's, I say give us more efficient OS's so I can use the FULL POWER new Hardware can deliver,and eXPerience really what I have paid for.

My year 2000 computer can perform well thks to a non bloated Tweaked OS, that hardly crashes(thks 98SE->ME, and UnofficialServicePAck 2.1a)

I have intalled windows98SE on newer Hardware, and is like having a Drag Race car, ok the brakes are not that good but I can fly like a demon, untill once in a while i get a BSOD, then reboot(1 minute at most), then Back to the Race car

XP is like MSN Messenger

98 is like Miranda IM(ugly and no whistles and bells, but i can chat and it uses hardly any resources, plus ti gives me more options to tweak etc...)

I use XP for slow tasks:

multitasking ie.-Photoshop +Freehand + Flash

Using Messenger, Skype and any aplication/game that is not supported by 98SE, or that I don't want installed in my 98SE OS

I love 98se cuz I have very few system services running after I logon(4 only :-) )

Xp has 4 times as many even on my gaming Hardware profile (thks Viper)

c:\windows\system\kernel32.dll

c:\windows\system\msgsrv32.exe

c:\windows\system\mprexe.exe

c:\windows\explorer.exe (sometimes i change the shell to BBlean or a game of choice ie.- Tactical Ops, UT99etc..)

+ firewall and Antivirus

* I only load this 3 at start up

command: C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun

command: "C:\Program Files\xxxxxx\Eset\nod32krn.exe"

command: "C:\Program Files\xxxxx\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe"

* The rest I disable

Located: HK_LM:Run, LoadPowerProfile (DISABLED)

command: Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

Located: HK_LM:Run, NvCplDaemon (DISABLED)

command: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Located: HK_LM:Run, nwiz (DISABLED)

command: nwiz.exe /install

Located: HK_LM:Run, SystemTray (DISABLED)

command: SysTray.Exe

Located: HK_LM:Run, TaskMonitor (DISABLED)

command: C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe

Located: HK_LM:RunServices, LoadPowerProfile (DISABLED)

command: Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

** and this one I kill with as the OS starts with a pv2k.exe script

c:\windows\system\mmtask.tsk

If microsoft gave us the flexibility to really disable all the Bloat including its GUI, Xp would really improve a lot, meanwhile I'll keep fragging away on my 98SE, untill all the UNOFFICIAL support dies.

Yet I'll keep a windows98 partition to compare how the bloat improves or viceversa, wich i think is the sad future.

>>>>>>>>>> FASTER HARDWARE + BLOAT OS's = same PERFORMANCE <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Well love to all and be happy, life is beatifull

Edited by mamas6667

I have a Intel Celeron 1300 MHz

1.30 GHZ, 256mb of ram with xp on it

then i have a compaq 5150 with k2-500 mhz

128 mb of ram with win98se on it

and my win98SE loads 10x faster than xp even after its trimmed down

so i say win98se have quite a few advantages of XP and i mean many

I love 98se cuz I have very few system services running after I logon(4 only :-) )

Xp has 4 times as many even on my gaming Hardware profile (thks Viper)

c:\windows\system\kernel32.dll

c:\windows\system\msgsrv32.exe

c:\windows\system\mprexe.exe

c:\windows\explorer.exe (sometimes i change the shell to BBlean or a game of choice ie.- Tactical Ops, UT99etc..)

That's what is showing up in your task/process manager but in reality you have many more "services" running that you don't see.

KRNL386.EXE and gdi.exe for example and also reams of VXDs.

9x just randomly causes BSOD's and crashes at anytime.

If that was the case, I would have gone to another OS since a long time, believe me.

Windows XPx64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 are both true 64-bit operating systems. They are not just 32-bit operating systems with 64-bit extensions.

Yeah, unlike POS Win98SE/ME that are just POS 16-bit operating systems with POS 32-bit extensions. :lol::lol::lol:

Exactly!! :thumbup:thumbup

Brian,

New games, applications and drivers are designed exclusively to work with XP/2000 and sometimes they manage a w98 or cross platform compatible version that of course perform worse but they don't care because that's only 1% of their users.

That's especialy true with laptop that have practicaly, build-in XP OSes.

w98se++ is quiet stable.

Actualy my current system is not and freeze from time to time, but one month ago it's been broke for some reasons that would have crashed XP too,and still running anyway.

I'm still doing lots of experiments and software testing on it.

I mean with all the update, if you want to crash w98, it means that you realy mean it.

I know of at least one instance of an XP PC being completely out of use because of a file corruption. Never heppened with w98. So XP is not the stable-for-ever OS that some pretend it be.

Xp is slow, it takes ages to boot and even longer to shut down.

That's anothe reason why I think it's a bad OS.

i respect your opinion, but i find that XP is quite suitable for what i do. for some reason, when running win98, my network card would always cause me problems and cause my router to actually crash and need to be rebooted. but with xp on the same machine, its much more stable. i never have problems with my router now and my laptop actually seems to last longer on battery. i dont know how thats possible, but it does.

i beleive that stability, for the most part, is usually dependent on hardware. some computers handle 98 better than they handle anything else (my compaq armada 1700 is this way) and some handle XP better (my inspiron 7000) its really personal preference when it comes to using a certain OS, but for the most part, imo i think that XP is the best for me. it might not be the best for other people, just for software or hardware support.

i like what i can do with windows XP on my laptops, and i like how it runs. sure, it takes a little while to boot up and shut down, but to be honest, with XP on my 366 laptop, i dont notice that big of a difference in performance between 98 and xp. they boot the same and pretty much overall, run the same. but i still like XP better because it seems to handle my hardware better than 98. plus i just like the new look with XPize :D great program.

anyway, thats my opinion, and i respect yours. windows 98 was a good OS for when it came out, but i always did have a suspicion that MS kinda pushed it out the door too quick. but anyhoo, if you like 98, great, more power too ya. but id like to stick with XP. my OEM dell cds that i bought dont need to be activated , so i just install and im good to go. plus, with the great program nLite, it now makes installing them on my laptops so much faster.

-brian