Stop it…

Yzöwl

I don't think it would be difficult but I'd suggest a different folder (eg, HFext). That would allow people to write their own CMD plugins and give them the power to name the files as they please.

I second that, since i've made one :D

It's there : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=70302

Nothing complicated : it only slipstream fonts (fonts gets installed like the original ones, with a custom registry hive, after a little "validity check" to get their names)

The CMD is to be ran *before* HFSLIP.CMD (if in a separate file) ; or before :HFEXPERT (if some wants to insert it in HFSLIP.CMD)...

There's nothing to do for making HFext, only one line at the beginning :

IF EXIST HFEXT\*.CMD FOR %%i IN (HFEXT\*.CMD) DO CALL %%i

:lol:

I've seen some cleanup in the latest "test releases" : this makes it easier to customize... So what's the point ? HFSLIP could become a very powerful tool, with ability to make RyanVM-like addons (it's not as complicated as a diff =)...

Thanks tommyp, you're on the right way :thumbup : i've not see any error since monthes (but maybe i'm making a *too simple* disc :P )

edit: oh, i forgot CalmiraXP

Edited by Delprat

There's nothing to do for making HFext, only one line at the beginning :

IF EXIST HFEXT\*.CMD FOR %%i IN (HFEXT\*.CMD) DO CALL %%i

Yup. That's what I meant. When using the HFTOOLS folder, it becomes more complicated.
i've not see any error since monthes (but maybe i'm making a *too simple* disc :P )
I think that's the problem, haha! :D Edited by Tomcat76

A modular setup would be nifty but I still think that this project rocks the house as it is.

FDV maintains a short checklist for users who just want the core HFSLIP funtctionality. For those who adventure further there are TONS of additional features. This works well but FDV is right about the documentation keeping pace with the development.

Feature creep affects every project at some point but I think that its effects on scripts vice compiled programs are much less pronounced. It doesn't take any longer to run or require a stronger machine; compiled programs slow down a lot, require more horespower, and the .exe size tends to skyrocket...none of this happens to HFSLIP.

Some have stated that a feature-rich HFSLIP may as well be nLite. I disagree strongly with that notion. The difference? In addition to the previously stated advantages, HFSLIP is open source. The project will survive even if the devs all get hit by a bus tomorrow. We can make changes. We can look at the code. These are priceless things.

I say bravo to the HFSLIP devs. They do an outstanding job in every respect, including the most excellent end user support that I've ever seen.

/me is still looking for the paypal button to donate to the HFSLIP project.

No that's not good enough, HFSLIP should not be calling your new cmd files, your cmd files should be calling HFSLIP!
Not possible. Those "extras" should be run while HFSLIP is running and that at different times. If you don't want HFSLIP to run any external CMD files, the only solution is two different programs.

I got a new version running with quite a few "features" taken out of HFSLIP into external files:

- make backup

- restore backup

- extra DX9 files, IUCTL.CAB, OPUC3.CAB, SWFLASH.CAB, MSXML, Application Addons, UPHClean on Win2K and MDAC_TYP

- XPize (SVCPACK)

- XPize (slipstream)

- time calculator

There are in total 8 calls of which 6 (see above) are used. You can always remove those calls if you don't like them.

This version is working 100% as far as I can see so it's ready to be released. Oh, and %XPAND% has been replaced with EXPAND again. I'll hear with TommyP about what should be done.

No that's not good enough, HFSLIP should not be calling your new cmd files, your cmd files should be calling HFSLIP!
Not possible.
Are you quite sure about that?

There is no difference in calling some code in another file and calling some code in the same file, you're still going to have HFSLIP full of references to things which are basically the 'bloat' to which we refer.

Thanks for noticing my missing #4. Maybe the there are readers out there still. :)

Here's what I see as a "base" HFSLIP, with rationale.

service pack slipstreaming - an HFSLIP must

hotfix integration - this is what HFSLIP is all about

ie6 integration - an HFSLIP exclusive

codec slipstreaming - I use this all the time

your HFEXPERT section - I use this all the time

driver integration - in honor of Oleg2

HFCLEANUP - a personal favorite of mine

msxml slipstreaming - this is needed for some of my apps

wga slipstreaming - it's only a few lines of code and is worthwhile

media player 10 slipstreaming - it's easy so why not

directx9c and the stupid new directx9 dlls - needed for some things I use

windows update agent - seems to be needed

windows update catalog - seems to be needed

microsoft update catalog - seems to be needed

questionable

mdac_typ - unsure about this one. I don't see how this is really needed.

application add-ons - there seems to be too many untested ones out there that cause probs

xpize - does this seem buggy or is it me when using svcpack?

After sleeping on it last nite and not thinking about it during the day, it seems that there really doesn't seem to be much to remove. Perhaps lots of script cleanup.

Yzowl, what exactly did you have in mind on what to keep and what to exclude. I'm on Tomcat's side trying to figure out what you mean with something else calling hfslip. YOu said that you like to rewrite cmd files, and you stated one time that you redo HFSLIP on occasion. Perhaps you can post a cleaner section of the HFEXPERT section. I had tons of troubles with the last script that you sent me (which is why that part looks like a kid with a coathanger sticking out of it's head). :)

If there's a way to call SECTIONS (labels) in secondary CMD files I'll take it upon me to take out all the bloat from HFSLIP, and then write a different app that calls specific sections in the main HFSLIP application. I'll maintain the documentation on that "different app" so FDV can take some time off with the misses again...

If there's a way to call SECTIONS (labels) in secondary CMD files I'll take it upon me to take out all the bloat from HFSLIP, and then write a different app that calls specific sections in the main HFSLIP application. I'll maintain the documentation on that "different app" so FDV can take some time off with the misses again...

Fortunately, there is!

When you wish to call a certain section (let's say, MAKEISO) in a certain batch file (let's say, CREATEISO.cmd), insert the following line.

CALL CREATEISO.cmd MAKEISO

Then, at the top of CREATEISO.cmd, insert the following code.

@ECHO OFF
CLS
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
IF "%1"=="" ECHO This script cannot be run by itself. It must be called upon by HFSLIP.&PAUSE&EXIT
GOTO %1

Simple explanation:

The argument used in the CALL function is passed to the %1 variable.

Near the top of CREATEISO.cmd, we have the line GOTO %1. This tells the script to go to the section specified as the argument.

The echoed line I added is just to prevent people from running the extra batch file.

If there's a way to call SECTIONS (labels) in secondary CMD files...

Another solution would be to make HFSLIP "auto-scriptable", like "multiple AHTEST".

I explain a bit further :

HFSLIP displays a prompt asking you which section do you want to run (eg: MAKEISO), saves the input in a file, and displays the prompt again until a blank line is entered.

Then, this file is processed, and each section is called one after another.

(Obviously, this idea is based on nlite interface :whistle: )

(And it's the "ultimate anti-id***-proof feature" :rolleyes: )

The main benefit is that the saved input could be re-used easily with something like "TYPE MyOwnScript.txt | HFSLIP.CMD" ; or even with a test to see if the input is an existing file ; or ...

PS: do not imagine i'm serious

Edited by Delprat

A modular HFSlip seems wonderful. :woot:

I thougt about the modularity and I think CALLs should be introduced at many places. I think HFSlip should call batch files with constant names. Let me explain : IMHO using dynamic names is not a good idea as it will probably introduce some bugs or difficulties.

For example, after hotfixes have been slipstreamed, it will call "post_hfslipstream.cmd" which contains a list of .cmd files to run. Thus it is easy to add a script of your own when you want.

Also, I think all steps should be listed so we know what is available for expansion.

But I still think is not bloatware. For sure it is complex but 100% usefull. ;)

If you want calls "in many places" then you'll have to do that yourself. I've been talking back and forth yesterday evening with TommyP about this and we agree that if any external files are going to be called it will be limited to two.

The current "internal" build calls two files, HFSPLUG1.CMD and HFSPLUG2.CMD, aside from the answer file (of which the functionality will be reduced). HFSPLUG1.CMD currently processes MDAC_TYP.EXE, UPHClean (for Win2K), application addons and the WMP Classic skin. HFSPLUG2.CMD handles XPize (both SVCPACK install & slipstream).

The demands/wishes in this thread are far apart so it's impossible to please everyone. I don't think the next version will be a "basic" version but it won't have all the bells n' whistles of the current versions either. Some features/enhancements will be removed, among which the possibility to have EXPAND.EXE in a different location, the section that creates the short KB titles you see flash by as hotfixes are processed, and the new backup routines. The current internal build also handles the Service Pack from the HF folder so the HFSPACK folder can be removed.

Edited by Tomcat76

Ok. No problem, hopefully HFSlip is opensource. ^^ :lovethat:

About the EXPAND thing, wouldn't it be possible to use

ren expand.exe expand_t.exe
copy HFTOOLS\EXPAND.EXE SYSTEM32\EXPAND.EXE
del /Y SYSTEM32\expand.exe
ren expand_t.exe expand.exe
EOF

Yes, it's been a long time since I last used batch scripting. :P