Future versions of Firefox on Windows 98

ivanbuto

I did a quick review of 3.0a7 code and was shocked with Gecko developers' laziness:

In fact, nothing prevented them to make absolutely 98 compatible version: they even have own GetGlyphIndices wrapper, there still a hell lot 98-compatibility code, and SetWorldTransform() is used only for scaling.

It does not seems hard to make 9x-friendly version, i think it is harder to understand their creepy build system :blink:

2. Assuming official support for it drops in 2009 (?) there's still at least nearly two years of using it left.

I don't know where you get that date from. Firefox 3 will be released by the end of this year or beginning of 2008.

Mozilla supports the previous version for six months only.

2. Assuming official support for it drops in 2009 (?) there's still at least nearly two years of using it left.

I don't know where you get that date from. Firefox 3 will be released by the end of this year or beginning of 2008.

Mozilla supports the previous version for six months only.

Just had an official reply on the FF support newsgroup; looks like official support will end "sometime" in 2008 :-(

I did a quick review of 3.0a7 code and was shocked with Gecko developers' laziness:

In fact, nothing prevented them to make absolutely 98 compatible version: they even have own GetGlyphIndices wrapper, there still a hell lot 98-compatibility code, and SetWorldTransform() is used only for scaling.

It does not seems hard to make 9x-friendly version, i think it is harder to understand their creepy build system :blink:

Tihiy, they simply don't want to make Win9x compatible version because users base of those systems is relatively small.

But for me as the user of Firefox it's more interesting that such talented programmer like you thinks it could possible (not only theoretically but also practically). :)

Tihiy, they simply don't want to make Win9x compatible version because users base of those systems is relatively small.

But for me as the user of Firefox it's more interesting that such talented programmer like you thinks it could possible (not only theoretically but also practically). :)

I just read 58% still use 98se. Of course not all use Firefox.

One thing, I wish people would not use is User Agent Switcher unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by gpatrick

K-Meleon is also based on Gecko. It'll stop working just the same with Gecko 1.9 on Win9x.

If remains previous version of Gecko 1.9 between downloads could be great.

On their little forum there is a certain number of people using win9x.

K-Meleon is also based on Gecko. It'll stop working just the same with Gecko 1.9 on Win9x.

Or you could still use Firefox 2.0.0.?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Or you could still use Firefox 2.0.0.?

You can only use Firefox 2.0.0.x under Win98/ME/NT4, gpatrick. FF 2.0x doesn't run under Win95 as it crashes under that OS. Win95 users may want to try out the latest FF 1.5.x nightly build here since no more official FF 1.5 releases are being produced.