[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

Mind to at least give me a brief idea on how you plan on doing so?...Are you gonna make one 7zip switchless that copies all the files.... or to first install normally (16mb msnsgr.msi) and then later replace the files individually?

If you want to recreate the MSI as a whole, i did see a thread here once, I believe i saw it in the addons section of nlite, that did explain a process of disasembling the msi, adding your patched files, and recreating the msi. I have no knowledge of this process so you will have to search the forum and find the relevant thread yourself. I also remember it used xml files, this may assist your search criteria.

shark

regsvr32 -u -s "%ProgramFiles%\MSN Messenger\fsshext.8.1.0178.00.dll"

DEL /Q "%UserProfile%\My Documents\My Sharing Folders.*"

ive found that doing this causes wlm shortcut to reinstall the dll. any way around this?

regsvr32 -u -s "%ProgramFiles%\MSN Messenger\fsshext.8.1.0178.00.dll"

DEL /Q "%UserProfile%\My Documents\My Sharing Folders.*"

ive found that doing this causes wlm shortcut to reinstall the dll. any way around this?

Tutorial updated March 05, 2007

to address disabling the file sharing folder without that action causing useless shortcuts.

These issues are dealt with in the newly updated tutorial.

shark

spanish please upload your web
For languages other than English, you will need to download the tutorial and create your own installer.

If elajua, a trusted source, has a spanish version to share with original files I'll be more than happy to share it on my repository.

shark

Can anybody say me that how can ı disable update notification? I really need that because ı dont want to use newest version. In the latest version livecall.exe uses extra ram how can ı disable it to run or get out from msn? Thanks for helps.

• 2 weeks later...
For languages other than English, you will need to download the tutorial and create your own installer.

If elajua, a trusted source, has a spanish version to share with original files I'll be more than happy to share it on my repository.

shark

I just tried this and it seems to work just fine:

- Download the original MessengerLive in your own language and install it...

- Download the silent installer from Shark and open it with winrar (open, not run).

- Look for the file msgslang.8.1.0178.00.dll in your 'Program Files\MSN Messenger'-directory and drag it into the open winrar-window to overwrite the english one.

That's all I did to change it into my own language (Dutch)...

After that, I uninstalled MessengerLive to test the silent installer...

(there was no 'MSN Messenger'-directory in 'Program Files' anymore after uninstallation, I checked)

But I haven't tried it on a 100% fresh installation yet...

Maybe others can confirm if this does the trick in other languages as well.

Edited by Evolver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi

I'd like to create a messenger installation package that would be svcpack compatible.

I downloaded the french version of windows live messenger v8.1.0178 final.

I then tried your tutorial.

I noticed a few confusing details :

These 3 properties on the left pre-exist in the Property Table - change the values;

PROPERTY----------VALUE

ALLUSERS---------------2

IAGREE------------------Yes

ALLOWRHAPSODY------No-AllowRhapsody

There is no "ALLOWRHAPSODY" property (reserved for us versions ?)

So I left away this value.

For SVCPACK installation compatibility, delete these 2 entries;

msoridCrashReportingPersistentRunKey

OfficeCrashReportingTools

Do I have to look for these entries in the "Registry" table only ?

I found in the "registry" table ("registry" column)

msoridCrashReportingPersistentRunKey.D0DF3458_A845_11D3_8D0A_0050046416B9

and

OfficeCrashReportingTools.29CB3920.D0DF3458_A845_11D3_8D0A_0050046416B9

Are you making reference to these entries ?

I removed these 2 rows.

Before tweaking any other file, I wanted to confirm that my modified MsnMsgs.msi was svcpack compatible.

I choose 7zip to make a silent installer and used 7zS.sfx (v4.42) along with msistub.exe to create the package.

My config.txt

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

RunProgram="msistub.exe MsnMsgs.msi /qb-!"

;!@InstallEnd@!

I injected this package in a clean xp pro sp2 fr (still for testing purposes)

and performed an installation with VMware.

And...

Nothing !

My package is refusing to install a T-13 !

It works if I use the "RunOnceEx" method (in this case, the installation process is taking quite a long time, more than 1 minute !).

Can you please help me ? :)

Did one succeed to install a french modified MsnMsgs.msi through svcpack ?

• 5 weeks later...

Live Messenger 8.5 BETA editable installer is available on my repository.

Currently it installs English.

To change the language you can copy the old language file msgslang.8.1.0178.00.dll

of Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 over the new one using the proper filename.

msglang.8.5.1235.0517.dll

shark

Shark will you also make a tutorial for the BETA one, like where to find the MSI Installer, Editing the MSI and other stuff?
The old tutorial somewhat applies, but isnt perfect. The main portion which allows the creation of an AIP is still viable. Specifically, the import of the AdminExecuteSequence table.

A new tutorial will be available when it goes final. I don't feel like rewriting it for each new beta release. In the meantime, the msi can be found by initiating the installation to the screen where you have choices to install 'MSN Home' etc...

At that time it is found in %allusersprofile%\Application Data\WindowsLiveInstaller\Product

shark

Currently it installs English.

To change the language you can copy the old language file msgslang.8.1.0178.00.dll

of Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 over the new one using the proper filename.

msglang.8.5.1235.0517.dll

shark

I was going to mention this myself.

I did a Spanish installer by installing the Spanish one, tweaking it, then copying over the files from the installation directory to Shark's installer through Winrar. Works like a charm. :thumbup

(I didn't know you could do it by just copying over the "msgslang.8.1.0178.00.dll" file. Cool!)