[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

Here is the new tutorial to modify the MSI from the 8.5 versions.

I don't have highspeed Internet access so it may be a while untill I upload an editble installer for BETA 2.

Maybe my buddy Ricktendo will take care of that.

Let me know if the tutorial has any errors....

EDIT - tutorial moved to 1st post

shark

QuickLauch shortcut still had Trade Mark symbol... And Shark how about more info on how you successfully get the StartMenuShortcut working. I had to export/import the ones from your beta 1 to get it to install the shortcut (BTW I removed the ) Edited by ricktendo64

QuickLauch shortcut still had Trade Mark symbol... And Shark how about more info on how you successfully get the StartMenuShortcut working. I had to export/import the ones from your beta 1 to get it to install the shortcut (BTW I removed the )

lol ... I have no idea about the StartMenu shortcut at this time because I havent downloaded BETA 2 yet. (dialup really sucks)

I'll update that portion of the tutorial when I get my hands on the orignal MSI.

rick, thanks for your assistance with this one, getting BETA 2 posted would have taken MUCH longer without your help.

20MB download on dialup with a 26k connection takes aprox. 3hrs to download.

shark

Thanks Rick again.

For the language files.... Live Messenger 8.5.1288.816 BETA2 is officially out. 35 Languages!

Fast link (it seems like there are no direct links) for Dutch version from live-messenger.nl

Edit: MSFN can't redirect the first link (it will change the link, bug?), so:

http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!29044.entry

Edited by Inferi0r

Hi all! Thanks Shark007 for sharing stuff here ;)

I have a question: can I completely remove this dir?

LiveMessenger8.5.1288.816BETA2\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW

Then can I remove the localization folder/file other than my language (italian) in this dir?

LiveMessenger8.5.1288.816BETA2\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\Device Manager\Loc

Have I to edit any table with Orca? Or can I simply delete these folders from the exe with WinRar??

How do you extract files from original msi? Are you using Universal Extractor?

My extracted files from *ita*.msi are in a different folder structure than yours.. :huh:

Edited by pipster

I have a question: can I completely remove this dir?

LiveMessenger8.5.1288.816BETA2\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW

Then can I remove the localization folder/file other than my language (italian) in this dir?

LiveMessenger8.5.1288.816BETA2\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\Device Manager\Loc

Have I to edit any table with Orca? Or can I simply delete these folders from the exe with WinRar??

As soon as you test those scenario's and report back here we will all know the answer(s)
How do you extract files from original msi? Are you using Universal Extractor?... My extracted files from *ita*.msi are in a different folder structure than yours.. :huh:
My files arent extracted. They are an AIP. [explained in the tutorial(s)]

shark

Ok. Thank you!

I created an AIO, as you said, starting with the italian original MSI.

I removed the localization folder/file other than my language (italian) in the dir:

PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\Device Manager\Loc.

I left only ..\Device Manager\Loc\16 that is for italian.

Then I removed the folder PFiles\Windows Live\Messenger\Program Files and all its content (DrWatson)

I replaced the aPatched (plus ResHacked) files in the right places.

Edited extracted .msi with Orca as written in your tutorial.

Then I packed all with in a WinRar self-exe with the right commands.

I tested it and during setup It shows errors about missing folders/files in that Loc dir.

So I re-edited .msi with Orca to delete every reference, in the tables, to the file missing file msndevmanres.dll

for the other language but IT(italian) and it works well. Setup succesfull and the programs works well.

In brief:

Delete the other lang files in the Loc dir.

Then open .msi with Orca and search for the string "devmanres.dll" (without quotes).

In the Component table you will find rows starting like that:

V2SHWRESEN.4A20E693_103A_461B_B815_41F28630AA26

V2SHWRESFR.4A20E693_103A_461B_B815_41F28630AA26

Note the Bold text. Delete all the rows except the one for your language (EN I think)

Continue the search and you'll find similar thing for the File table. The rows start by:

Microsoft.MSN.V2S.HW.EN.DevManRes.dll.4A20E693_103A_461B_B815_41F28630AA26

Delete all but your language.

End. Ok now the files are gone with their setup errors.

I hope it can be useful.

Thank you Shark for your Tutorial!!

hey shark dude great work .......

i downloaded your Windows Live Messenger - version 8.1.0178 FINAL version but there is some problem it is asking me for a dll file ..... "msoert2.dll" every time i start the program ..........

can u help me on this

thanx :)

Have you read my post on to remove some other files? ... What do you think about it? Could be useful? :)

I have read your post.

I think its an idea that may be useful to some people.

The purpose of providing an 'editable installer' for WLM is not to remove files or reduce distribution size, it is to allow users to install WLM in corporate environments or with already patched files in a simple to edit installer. If your wish is to reduce the size of the installer by eliminating redundant files, by all means, pursue that choice. In the meantime I'll continue to assist people with getting WLM installed under circumstances not originally provided for with the Microsoft built MSI.

shark