Computers Through the Years

Nerwin

I found this quite interesting, Using vacuum tubes before transistors where invented, quite a few chapters here and very informative !

The ENIAC contained 17,468 vacuum tubes, along with 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 1,500 relays, 6,000 manual switches and 5 million soldered joints. It covered 1800 square feet (167 square meters) of floor space, weighed 30 tons, consumed 160 kilowatts of electrical power.
:wacko:

The whole story here !

Edited by kartel

oldest computer i ever used was in 3rd grade we got these radioshack tandys that were black n white, keyboard,monitor,floppies were all in one unit with worse than atari 2600 graphics, you turned it on and all you see is a white blinking cursor awaiting rediculously long commands lol

reminds me though of the coolest game i ever played was on some late 80's ibm, it was fully 3d polygons with formula 1 racers on a floppy disk with the most destructive crashes i ever saw...i'd love to find that game again with an emulator,if only i knew the name

oldest computer i ever used was in 3rd grade we got these radioshack tandys that were black n white, keyboard,monitor,floppies were all in one unit with worse than atari 2600 graphics, you turned it on and all you see is a white blinking cursor awaiting rediculously long commands lol

reminds me though of the coolest game i ever played was on some late 80's ibm, it was fully 3d polygons with formula 1 racers on a floppy disk with the most destructive crashes i ever saw...i'd love to find that game again with an emulator,if only i knew the name

The oldest desktop computer I have is this baby right here:

post-1828-1135824787_thumb.jpg

It still works, as you can see!

A whole 40MB hard drive, floppy drive, 4MB of RAM and an 8MHz processor! Its been maxed out!!

Full details here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_...ac_classic.html

Works great for old games! :D

The first computer ever was called Colossus. It was used to break the Enigma Encryption Cypher during WWII, hence making the Germans lose the war. It was the size of the room and took days to break one polyalphabetical substitution.

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

The oldest computers i have is a Spectrum ZX, and a Spetrum ZX81 (around the same time). The ZX has a tape drive, the ZX81 has an 8mb cartridge. They were the first thng I learned to program :). (in the cupboard. Was 5 when i started programming it)

Then had an Amstrad PC1640, with a monocrome screen, a 500MB hard drive and 51/4 inch floppy disks. (was dumped)

Had Superbrain for a while (was running on BBC OS), then after a year got rid of it. (around 1987, I was 7)

Finbaly in 1999 we got a PC with windows 98, and since then I have become addicted to them (again :) when I was 19)

So out so much for being called a geek or a nerd, Im a newbie as far as most people are concerned *lol*