Monitor Dying? Weird black lines and white boxes..

ThA_FiLeR

Well, since today I have been getting weird white boxes on my monitor screen, when they are on they don't cover up the whole screen and take up about 25% and make that spot very bright and the rest very dark, I can still continue as I want but it is very annoying, then I also have this black line thats about a pixel high running from left to right in the middle. I am sure this has something to do with my monitor and not my video card, I tried taking a screenshot and it showed perfectly fine so its all in the monitor, when I turn my monitor off/on it dissapears, both effects do it, I have not had the same effect at once so far but it's really annoying me and I've only had this monitor for about 2years.. It's a Philips 107S 17" ..I'll try to get pics of it, but I can't find my digital camera atm, here is a example of what the white box looks like (made in ps)

-Thanks for any help :)

post-2-1054091088_thumb.png

I have had no luck with monitors at all, so far:

88-95- hmm.. old garbage: lol, commodore screen and old pos generic monitor

95-98- GoldStar..? 17"

98-00- Lenco 17"

01-03- Philips 17"

:) I must be having bad luck..

Since 1995 1 MAG 15 in. and 1 Viewsonic A70 17 in. The MAG burned out but lasted about 4 yrs.The Viewsonic still looks good,and my next monitor will be the same brand(or Optiquest).

I've got 2 Belinea 17", wish I didn't buy them.

One of them goes on standby when running a game that uses directx.

The other sometimes causes a darker shade on the right hand side. Have to turn it off and on again to fix it.

I'm too lazy to RMA both of them, even though they're still under warranty. Maybe I should. :)

I wub ViewSonic monitors. High quality they are.

Tha_FiLer, since the monitor is failing you may want to lower the refresh rate to squeeze another month or two out of it and this may resolve the problem for a short time. Your monitor can no longer turn its electron beams on and off fast enough that results in what it is doing now. Lower it to the lowest setting for now.

Also, if this is the monitor that you use with games that demand a high refresh rate for optimal game performance look hard at its specifications. The next monitor you buy should be equal or better. I know you play a lot of games and are a wizard with video cards. Jacking up the vid card drivers when experimenting with new drivers on a low-end monitor will eventually cause this problem as well.

Again, Happy Birthday :)

Try changing out the Vid card, just for the hell of it, i have seen some odd things when vid cards are dying. But besides that it does defintly seem that your Crt is on its way out....too bad

I got me a Nec C550 and its been kicking a** for atleast 6 years now!

=Drew

Are you sure you didn't disable the box for "show only capable refresh rates"?

I unchecked that once and jacked my refresh rate as high as technologically possible.

In 8 hours the smoke detector was going off, my monitor had up and died.

:)

Humm, no, been running at this res for about half a year now.. 1152X864@75hz which is most it goes and it has the latest monitor drivers, I've degaused it a couple of days ago and didn't have any of the problems so far in 2days.. new record set!..lol

I'm not too sure what the degauss option does (take out all magnetic charge?) but it seemed to have helped a bit..