Windows XP SP2 updates and hotfixes

Tomcat76

Quick question: will xp sp1 still be supported in hfslip when microsoft ends support for it?

As far as I'm concerned, I think HFSlip for XP SP1 should be put into another cmd file. There is no need to keep it in the main code since there shouldn't be any new update.

(and I am still runnning XP SP1)

Edited by Camarade_Tux

If it were up to me I'd even strip XPSP1 "fixes" out of HFSLIP but it's TommyP's script so he'll have to answer that question. I won't be adding new fixes/workarounds for XPSP1 myself, though.

<snip>

Current Windows XP SP2 updates

Browsing

Windows Script 5.6 post-68008-1133836777_thumb.png

<snip>

DirectX

• New DX9 gaming binaries from DirectX 9.0c April '06 Redist (52MB)

Required files: [date]_d3dx9_[number]_x86.cab

<snip>

Current critical Windows XP post-SP2 hotfixes

WindowsXP-KB917344-x86-ENU.exe (Vulnerability in MS JScript)

<snip>

Have you noticed that there are now two KB917344? The new Script56 is named WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe.

Which do we need? since only one of them required G.A validation to download! I know that if they both go in only the newer versions will apply, but that doesn't answer the question.

Also, there is a June version of the directx 9.0c Redist

Edited by Yzöwl

Also, there is a June version of the directx 9.0c Redist

hi Yzöwl! :)

New update (June 8, 2006). See main post.

Edit: Whoops, false alarm! There is no new d3dx9 CAB file this time. Only a(n) XACT update.

Uh, there's nothing TO PUT in HFCABS.

currently, HFSLIP doesn't support the XACT updates ...

hope this helps somehow ... ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Yzöwl...

The new version of Windows Script 5.6 contains the KB917344 hotfix which is why it's in its name. I'm going to update my lists once the new HFSLIP final is released (it's namely not supported in the current final). The old construct (scripten.exe + KB917344) will still work.

The June DX9 update doesn't contain any new binaries for use with HFSLIP. HFSLIP integrates BDANT.CAB/BDAXP.CAB, DXNT.CAB, and the *D3DX9* files.

• 3 months later...
Is this a critical update?

For me not

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920342

..."This update upgrades Windows Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP) to PNRP version 2.0. PNRP version 2.0 for Windows XP provides the same features as PNRP version 2.0 for Windows Vista.

This update enables Windows XP SP2-based programs that use PNRP to communicate with Windows Vista programs that use PNRP.

Note PNRP version 2.0 is not backward-compatible with earlier versions of PNRP. If you install this update, you cannot use programs that use the updated version of PNRP to communicate with programs that use earlier versions of PNRP. Also, Windows XP does not let applications use the getaddrinfo() Windows Sockets function to resolve PNRP names that are encoded as fully qualified domain names.

"