98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Hi Problemchyld,

I have noticed that pdm.dll is not included in SP3 !! I still have version 7.00.9466 running on my system but on my XP I found 9.0.30729.1.

Is the XP-version (or later) not compatible with Win98SE ?? Or is it just not necessary to update this file ?

All the best,

Mikl

I don't have this files on my computer. I have no software that requires it.

If it is needed by others, then I will add it. Thank you :yes:

I have it on my machine, in the Windows 98 system folder (version 6.0.0.8424) and in the XP Internet Explorer folder (version 9.0.30729.1) and in Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug (version 7.0.9466.0).

It appears to be part of a Microsoft Visual Studio debugger.

:)

It doesn't matter to me.

If the file is needed I can add it, if not then people will have to manually add/replace it.

If I were to add it, I would treat it like most files inside the SP. It would only install if a older version of the file

is already present on your system.

Another little candidate for the SP :

REG.EXE :

Extract with 7-Zip from 'sp4supporttools.exe' from :

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=18614

Copy to %windir%

I needed REG.EXE to install SAP GUI for Java. Although this example needs KernelEx as well, there may be other Java-based packages that don't need KernelEx but do need REG.EXE to do their registry stuff.

Joe.

REG.EXE is the windows NT-family command-line registry editor. Take care. The registries of the NT-OS family and of the 9x/ME family differ considerably in their internal-structure.

I'm really sorry I cannot back-up the above statement with a reference right now, but I recall discussions from way back when about this. But I'm sure jaclaz, when he reads this, will have some references for it, since he also participated in those discussions, if I'm not mistaken.

REG.EXE is the windows NT-family command-line registry editor. Take care. The registries of the NT-OS family and of the 9x/ME family differ considerably in their internal-structure.

I'm really sorry I cannot back-up the above statement with a reference right now, but I recall discussions from way back when about this. But I'm sure jaclaz, when he reads this, will have some references for it, since he also participated in those discussions, if I'm not mistaken.

Reg.exe is also part of the Windows 98 Resource Kit:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/REGISTRY

You both raise interesting points. I don't know how different are the 9X vs. NT registry structures, I thought the latter was a superset, in which case the 2K version of REG should be OK in most situations.

As for using the 98 version of REG, alas, the only application where I've needed REG, it was the 2K version that was needed, as both the command line syntax and the output format of these two versions are incompatible, as demonstrated here :

reg_98 query hkcu\software\7-zip\extraction\extractmode
REG_DWORD extractmode 1

reg_2k query hkcu\software\7-zip\extraction /v extractmode

! REG.EXE VERSION 2.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\7-zip\extraction
extractmode REG_DWORD 0x1

Joe.

Edited by jds

Another little candidate for the SP :

REG.EXE :

Extract with 7-Zip from 'sp4supporttools.exe' from :

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=18614

Copy to %windir%

I needed REG.EXE to install SAP GUI for Java. Although this example needs KernelEx as well, there may be other Java-based packages that don't need KernelEx but do need REG.EXE to do their registry stuff.

Joe.

I had thought about adding it a while back. Once I found the tool reg2inf.exe then I had no use for.

The tool converts all reg files to inf format making it easier to install files and reg keys for SP3. Thanks

I had thought about adding it a while back. Once I found the tool reg2inf.exe then I had no use for.

The tool converts all reg files to inf format making it easier to install files and reg keys for SP3. Thanks

Well, that's OK if you're developing your own package, but if you need to run someone else's package that calls 'reg.exe', you can't just substitute 'reg2inf.exe' for it, you have to supply the required version of 'reg.exe'. BTW, finding which (9X or NT) version is required (the command line and output syntax differ) can either be by "trial and error", an "educated guess" or by more cunning means (eg. writing a dummy 'reg.exe' that records its command line parameters). I've so far had only one situation where I've needed 'reg.exe' and it was the NT version I needed, the 2k build I've described seems to run fine on W98.

Joe.

Even though I have yet to install Problemchyld's U98SESP3.4 I would like to extend my thanks to him and all of the people who've worked with him on this effort. I'm literally trembling with anticipation to see how much of an improvement I'll see after SP3.4 is installed.

Happy Birthday, Problemchyld. May you see many more celebrations in the years to come.

Edited by Laser98IX

I will be releasing an update Wednesday, August 1, 2012.

Which is my birthday. I made some mistakes along the away by not registering some DLL files.

I have downloaded most of MDGx Unofficial packs and analyze them to the fullest :rolleyes:

I have rectified the issues. It is recommended to install main updates. Sorry guys :wacko: