VMware Equivalent

Jlo555

Alright, I've been able to use VMware on windows 2000/XP and it works pretty well. The problem is that it ONLY runs on NT4.0/2000/XP and NOT 98SE. So, does anyone know of a program that does most of the same things as vmware (or better) like provide the OS emulator with sound, network, usb etc AND runs on windows 98SE?

I've heard from many different people that VMWare is the best, I find it very bizarre that VMWare wouldn't work with 98SE, well made virtual software doesn't care what OS you throw at it.

Your next bet is Virtual Server or Virtual PC. Unfortunately both of which only officially support Windows OSs (but the app does have support for Linux and other OSs until/unless MS removes that support in the future).

Edited by Rhelic

Meh, I'll try Bochs I guess in a couple days. I don't know why VMware was never released for any non-NT or non-Linux systems. Might have something to do with the virtual networking stuff; I think that's why Hamachi (virtual private networking app) wouldn't work on 98se. But maybe the VMware programmers are just lazy...

Might be more likely in the future when AMD's CPU virtualization hits the street, though does look like Intel is doing the same, and apparently they are so "compatible" that code written for one will work for the other. Amazing 2 breakthroughs that are so compatible from 2 different camps.

Hello!

Connectix Virtual PC 5.1 works under Windows 98 SE.

Servus, Roman

Connectox VPC 5.1 is in my opinion better than Microsoft's VPC2004 as it is much much faster to run dos games on. Apart from that it is nearly the same with features.

Connectix Virtual PC 5.2 was the last one and is the best for an NT based system but doesn't support win9x.

Get the free Connectix VPC 5.1 demo for win9x.

Edited by ricardrosen

Or that you don't know how much programming goes into programs like these!!

Agreed. Creating a virtual pc is probably one of the hardest programming task imaginable. The only thing that may be harder would be to create a whole operating system.

I am willing to bet that a lot of the code for a virtual pc is written in assembly which also adds to the dificulty.

I would never call a programmer for such a project lazy.

Meh, I'll try Bochs I guess in a couple days. I don't know why VMware was never released for any non-NT or non-Linux systems. Might have something to do with the virtual networking stuff; I think that's why Hamachi (virtual private networking app) wouldn't work on 98se. But maybe the VMware programmers are just lazy...

Perhaps because Windows Non-NT OS's are junk? Seriously, A VM software needs excellent support for things like Protected Memory Access, robust scheduling of system resources, etc., none of which are items that a Non-Linux, Non-Windows NT based OS can provide. Windows 9x/Me are basically junk.

Jason