VMware Equivalent

Jlo555

Modicr, Ricardrosen, do you happen to know where you can still purchase Connectix VPC 5.1? I did a search & didn't come up with an answer.

Jason, since your not going to add anything of value, toddle on back to XP forum!

In the first place, I'm rarely ever at the XP forum to begin with. In the second, I DID add something of value, with a brief overview of WHY they don't make VMWare for non-NT or Linux systems. Those are good reasons, and they're worth knowing.

Jason

Modicr, Ricardrosen, do you happen to know where you can still purchase Connectix VPC 5.1? I did a search & didn't come up with an answer.

Jason, since your not going to add anything of value, toddle on back to XP forum!

the filename for the 30 day free trial is "VPC_51_Trial.exe" google it you should find some links.

QEMU's going to be the fastest you can get... but you can't run KQEMU (NT4/2000/XP/2003 only)

Not many people actually want virtualisers on Windows 9x, that's why there are none.

In the first place, I'm rarely ever at the XP forum to begin with. In the second, I DID add something of value, with a brief overview of WHY they don't make VMWare for non-NT or Linux systems. Those are good reasons, and they're worth knowing.

Jason

It would be possible to implement a virtual machine with much better performance and dependable real-time characteristics on top of DOS or from scratch - including boot sector program and all. However, it would require a lot more work, and anyone who is more interested in quick results and commercial success than in building the best possible VM would certainly prefer to do so on top of NT or Linux.

I'm not saying that's unreasonable, but let's be honest about it.

Jason

Actually the only reason you gave is the following :

Windows 9x/Me are basically junk.

A bit poor don't you find ?

Hey hey, I don't want another XP vs. 98 war; I've already seen pleanty of em...sometimes they amuse me, other times (like now) they're just inconvenient.

Thanks for your suggestions on VMware equivalents; I think I'll be doing some OS emulating this weekend...

Hey hey, I don't want another XP vs. 98 war; I've already seen pleanty of em...sometimes they amuse me, other times (like now) they're just inconvenient.

That was not my point or intent to start a XP vs 98 war. My point was just saying to this person that he claims having given reasons about something when in fact he gave none. That's all.

Edited by eidenk

• 3 weeks later...

I make this post with PureWinLin (Minimal Debian/Gnome in QEMU) running on Windows ME. A bit slow (3 and a half minutes to boot onto the gnome desktop) and no right-click. I just had to unpack the archive, double click on a batch file and once booted and running, I just had to allow QEMU to access the internet in Zone Alarm after launching Firefox in QEMU (I am on broadband). Try it, it's fun.

This time I make the post with a fresh install of Win98SE in QEMU running on WinME. Took around one and a half hour to install. Boots to the Win98 desktop in less than a minute. Everything works well. 1024 x768, 32bit color depth, audio and network support and it is surprisingly fast and responsive.

I have used Qemu Manager, a splendid GUI to create, manage and launch virtual machines in QEMU. Also I used Magic ISO to create a bootable image of the 98SE install CD.

Absolutely splendid.

PS: My above problem with the right-click in PureWinLin was due to Stroke-It I use in WinME. Disabling it solved the problem.

@eidenk - Nice job with the OS emulating, but I can honestly say that I understood about 15 to 20% of what you said. I guess I'm in over my head with the whole operating system emulating. There's a lot I don't really know about it cause the only thing I've used is VMware, which I've gotten to run Windows 95/98 and Me successfully.

This time I make the post with a fresh install of Win98SE in QEMU running on WinME. Took around one and a half hour to install. Boots to the Win98 desktop in less than a minute. Everything works well. 1024 x768, 32bit color depth, audio and network support and it is surprisingly fast and responsive.

That does sound pretty impressive - about as fast as my 98 SE install on a

Celeron 400 with 10k rpm SCSI. What kind of hardware are you using?

That does sound pretty impressive - about as fast as my 98 SE install on a

Celeron 400 with 10k rpm SCSI. What kind of hardware are you using?

I use an Athlon XP 2600 on an Abit NF7S mobo, standard 7200 rpm WDC hard drives, old Geforce2 MX 400 graPHIC CARD, 19inch HP M900 monitor in 1280 x 1024 and Broadband modem.

Audio is usable only for short system sounds, otherwise it stutters too much.

I have now installed WinME as well and it boots to the desktop under 20 seconds (about 3 times faster than 98SE) which amazes me even more.

Yes it seems to run about as fast as a 500 MHz real machine for everything except for multimedia. Audio stutters if longer than a short system sound and the intro Windows ME video which has no close button forced me to abort my first ME session and restart with audio emulation disabled as to get rid of it.

I have not tried full screen mode. Host OS Hard drives cannot be directly accessed. There is a good GUI tool available to extract files from disk images. Importing stuff is a matter of creating an ISO image of a folder and set it as CD-ROM. Theoretically it is possible to use FTP to import and export files as well but I have not tried that.

I'll be writing a small tut today or tomorow under a new thread with links to all the needed downloads.

Edit : QEMU for 98/ME dummies

Edited by eidenk