[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

Release and benchmarks as well...boot up times, app loadup times, some 3d benches...see if games get an overall boost or not. Honestly I wont see the appeal in shrinking XP to the point where performance does not go up anymore!

thats my plan, but ive had a long week-end out, i will be working on getting it to 57MB for beta 2 today.

But during this beta 2 phase, im gonna be trying to get 3dmark and stuff running.

boot up times for me went down to 9 seonds (no cd-rom) from os select screen from 16-18 with nlite

anyway, i know there is some nice things, i noticed. Swat 4, would lag hardcore with me, when i'd play my buddy down the street on his server. in an nlite windows, he whoopz my butt, under my windows, i whoop his butt or get close anyway.

anyway, app loadup times, wont be happening, cause i dont got a stopwatch, or nothing, too time consuming.

i might make a video though, of something funny i found out about going no agp gart driver. There are tests in dxdiag, for d3d, a spinging thing that locks you in at your refresh rate for fps. Without agp gart driver on my computer i get 1300-1900 fps, from my refresh rate of 85 with it.

That is awesome! I am looking forward to your presentation! That would be a landmark day indeed when the fastest XP is a community driven project! Heck I would gladly pay for a copy of this OS!

Is there a release available to try out yet?

Jason

The total size of the installation doesn't matter much to me, it's the unnecessary services running and the RAM wasted that matters.

I don't think average fps numbers will change much generally, to prove the advantages better I think framerate graphs would be needed. There would not be so many background processes running that could disturb the game and there would be more RAM available for it. The advantages could be faster loading and more stable performance.

The SWAT 4 numbers posted earlier in this thread suggests that Vsync was in the play. Guessing it was enabled at first with the monitor at 100Hz (it couldn't maintain 100fps so it dropped to 50fps to stay in sync). Next it looks like Vsync was disabled and the fps was limited by software (ingame fps limit set to 85).

Vsync should be disabled for benchmarking and enabled for playing. In-game fps limiters should be disabled in both cases (or set to 0 or 999).

i will see, could have been, anyway, the lag you get in lots of games, is gone, or not as bad at all

only when your not the cause of the lag , LOL

oh and what would be the point of enabling vsync in a game?

Edited by gdogg

The total size of the installation doesn't matter much to me, it's the unnecessary services running and the RAM wasted that matters.

I don't think average fps numbers will change much generally, to prove the advantages better I think framerate graphs would be needed. There would not be so many background processes running that could disturb the game and there would be more RAM available for it. The advantages could be faster loading and more stable performance.

The SWAT 4 numbers posted earlier in this thread suggests that Vsync was in the play. Guessing it was enabled at first with the monitor at 100Hz (it couldn't maintain 100fps so it dropped to 50fps to stay in sync). Next it looks like Vsync was disabled and the fps was limited by software (ingame fps limit set to 85).

Vsync should be disabled for benchmarking and enabled for playing. In-game fps limiters should be disabled in both cases (or set to 0 or 999).

I have a very small installation of XP myself, and I know for a fact that you can't expect more than a 5fps gain if you're lucky. Gaining 30-40fps is impossible no matter how much you tweak your OS, unless you count reducing resolution or something.

i dont know, if that applies to this windows, i have since found out it could of been vsync, but that will be tested as soon, as i get this project to beta II.

but one this is for sure, dxdiag went from being stuck @ 85fps in there tests to 1700FPS in there d3d tests, so fast, i couldn't read it at all, :P

there is a 1600FPS increase, but in the end, that might be a one shot deal, but once i get 3dmark01 on there, i can prove if its just a way to trick benchmarks, if that too changes drastically, then move onto game testing.

one things is for sure, you will get more first shots in FPS game, and encounter less if not no lag, in games where everyone would be lagin. cause that was something i have a bigg problem with not, being on an nlited windows, instead of my microwinX project right now, the change is so bigg, i cant win like i used to. went from getting 30 - 2 to things like 30 - 18 on my friends server of swat 4. but mainly, he'd always get the first shot in an nlited windows, cause he hosted it on his computer, and had less ping than me, i'd see him, but be shot, by the time I shot, in my microwinX project, i'd see him, and get those first shots

Edited by gdogg

I'm new to these forums, and I have to say this looks a really interesting project.

I regularly refurbish old PC's for charitable donations, and I can see that this would be very beneficial as it would enable older, slower machines to run current applications without the horrendous slow-down that would normally be experienced.

I will be watching this project as it develops further.

Keep up the good work.

:thumbup