Mindows Project

Aegis

Windows already does a good job of freeing up memory. All of the "memory freeing" and "defragmenting" tools out there are really just a bunch of bull. They hinder performance instead of increasing it.

Even though I'm a CarPC modder, I've removed all the crap from windows and the redundant entries in the registry to get my windows nice and well... small :P

Lookies :thumbup

post-51416-1118794330_thumb.jpg

Oh and btw, I only run Winamp as my shell, nothing else, as thats all I need to make my CarPC function :)

Edited by undeadsoldier

It is possible to reduce Windows XP install to zero, by simply installing another operating system you know.

(he tries to keep a straight face, then starts to laugh...oops)

sigh

Tom

PS. I am trying all these suggestions (yer, even the other os), just because i love fiddling - if it aint broke, then you have done something wrong!)

It is possible to reduce Windows XP install to zero, by simply installing another operating system you know.

(he tries to keep a straight face, then starts to laugh...oops)

sigh

Tom

PS. I am trying all these suggestions (yer, even the other os), just because i love fiddling - if it aint broke, then you have done something wrong!)

And another saying is that if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it at all !!!

Geez, some people, the reason why I'M making windows smaller is so that I can fit more music onto my CarPC since I only have a 1GB CF card...

:realmad:

Plus the fact that you said make XP to zero by installing another OS... it isn't quite XP then is it !!! :realmad:

Edited by undeadsoldier

Yup, from my experience 2003 draws some 10mb more in commit when idle...but, far more effective when using memoryresources.

When I compare my ripped sersion of XP with 2003, XP comes out on top when it comes to "snappy performance"..but allways looses when moving files and other memoryintense activities.

Kinda lost interest in pokin' in my 2003 experiment after a while, also now when the x64's is rollin out it's the same stuff "under the hood" on both XP and 2003.

...so the gain of using 2003 is in a performance point of view is not that obvious anymore :unsure:

But still my Celeron 400 laptop with 128mb runs smoother on 2003 than XP :whistle:

..haven't plugged my last whopper-XP in though, no CD or floppy makes it kinda complicated to plug in a modified OS (uses RIS/PXE for install)

just my 2 cents.. :P