Mindows Project

Aegis

I'm changing the installer so that it removes files from the XP CD.

That's a VERY good idea. That way you won't have any legal problems. I don't think people will get this confused with nLite, but you should probably alter your first post to have a better introduction to what this does and also explain the difference between MinInstall and nLite.

Hope Inno doesn't give you any problems. Good luck and just ask if you need any help.

well i could never get it to work, even following these steps

i guess if minlogon was installed before hand

it will just result in it not working?

or is it xp home oem doing this?

i get it to boot, but its just a blue screen

never loads into windows or anything

Here's my way: http://digitalfrost.planetzord.de/minxp.rar

It contains Minlogon & CAD_Trap, open cmdlines.txt and remove the appropriate lines if you don't like it. It is ready for use with any XP CD, and should also work with a installed xp (just copy the files in $$ to %WinDir% and run DelFiles.bat).

Aegis: You might wanna take a look at LiteShell, as the name implies it is very lite. Also there's a ext2 file system driver for XP (ext2fsd), but I don't think it is stable enough for serious use, besides the fact that you can only install xp to ntfs/fat32 with the textsetup.

Screenshot up!!!!! As the screenshot shows, I found that the file list currently up will not allow any colors beyond those found in the screenshot. Currently working on a fix :thumbup.

I'm still debating whether an alternate file system will provide better performance or not.

wish we could get better than 27 commit change, as i can do 35 with themes , with the other method that i wont mention here, cause it would be off topic.

A new file system will be sweet, if my games could still install,

i heard the linux ext2 file system is good

but question is, will it still need to be defragmented being windows?

or would this make it not need a defragmenter like linux

Here's my way: http://digitalfrost.planetzord.de/minxp.rar

It contains Minlogon & CAD_Trap, open cmdlines.txt and remove the appropriate lines if you don't like it. It is ready for use with any XP CD, and should also work with a installed xp (just copy the files in $$ to %WinDir% and run DelFiles.bat).

Aegis: You might wanna take a look at LiteShell, as the name implies it is very lite. Also there's a ext2 file system driver for XP (ext2fsd), but I don't think it is stable enough for serious use, besides the fact that you can only install xp to ntfs/fat32 with the textsetup.

Yours works pretty good with a couple of problems though. It asks for WSOCK32.DLL (easily added to the keep list) and you most likely have to use a shell other than explorer unless you keep a bunch of other files like oleaut32.dll, etc.

So how do you delete system32 files? And how do you move the files (created using mininstall.bat) from mininstall folder into system32 folder?

ive tryed:

xplite

booting xp then rescue mode

linux live cd (slax version)

none will allow me to remove and copy too system32

So how long is it until this installer is ready? :}

Quite a while since I now have to learn a completely new format :(. But the good news is that I'm working on reducing the files even further. Thus far, I have achieved a 25MB (69 files, 46 DLL's, 10 EXE's, 11 other files) system32 directory excluding folders.

Just curious, how many people actually got this project working?

Edited by Aegis

Just curious, how many people actually got this project working?

I've had it working by adding the minxp.rar that DigitalFrost posted to my installation source and testing it in Virtual PC. It is strange the way he did it though. Leaves about 217 MB in the system32 folder (ack...). Maybe yours will come out smaller.

BTW are you doing regtweaks and inf tweaks to remove crap that is left over from removed components?

Edited by slippykillsticks