Mindows Project

Aegis

Although it never really helped me remove any files, that site did inspire me to start this project.

Future unlisted goals: Remove exe's and dll's debug info, compiler version info, and lots of other PE-related junk, find alternative system executables similar to minlogon, and take useful Longhorn features!

At least with the CAD_Trap stuff acknowledge the original author rather than ripping all the info pertaining to them. I know the author of the software and know for a fact they won't be too happy that it has been placed for distribution without his permission especially not in its full original form in the compressed package.

Wow I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread...I am kind of lost though as to the actual process of doing all this stuff but then again I have not checked out all the links and the files posted already. So correct me if i am wrong, but you guys are creating a hybrid OS with pieces of XP SP2 and 2k3 SP1 and a tad bit of Longhorn maybe?? Just taking the best and mixing and matching while making it as minimalist as possible?

It does sound like a good idea suryad to make a hybrid OS our leader is working on something else just as interesting. If he wants he may make the results known but until then. But if you have anything to contribute to pursuing this particular project I cannot speak for Aegis but he may not mind. Aeqis what do you say :whistle:

dirt

Wow I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread...I am kind of lost though as to the actual process of doing all this stuff but then again I have not checked out all the links and the files posted already. So correct me if i am wrong, but you guys are creating a hybrid OS with pieces of XP SP2 and 2k3 SP1 and a tad bit of Longhorn maybe?? Just taking the best and mixing and matching while making it as minimalist as possible?

Hybrid OS sums it up, but I'm not actually taking files out of Longhorn, but features (if it still has any features at all). Feel free to start submitting feature requests. Just make sure they're OS-related.

Thanks for the reply Aegis. Great project you are undertaking here...hope you succeed. I still have not gotten around to reading up and trying to even acclamatize myself to all these mods that you guys seem to have already done on your OSes...all I have done is so far nLite my XP install cd to about 170 mb with SP2 installed. Thats about the extent of my modding skills in XP so far :blushing:

I will try and be helpful and try to contribute something worth the time but for now, I need to start reading!!...and also backing up my hard drive hehehe :whistle: just in case

well i personally would like to see

one of the things on the list

alternative file system

one that does fragment preferably, :thumbup

i was successful at booting your first project, in vmware

would love to see what you have in store for us next

Yeah I myself use Winamp lite and dont use the other fully loaded version of Winamp cause frankly I dont need to. I have all the features I need in a music player. And it starts up instantaneously and does not require much memory at all. Also I lisen ot ogg files as well so I have a plugin for it. Lite rocks!

As for the file system option, I dont know how plausible that would be because Windows might not just be compatible with any of the JFS or the ext2 filesystems that Linux is using. Fragmentation is a problem yes...and I would love to have an fs that does not fragment as much...but I doubt it can be pulled off...but then again you guys have been donig some impossible stuff lately!!

im using this program called xp system builder, it uses the xp embedded database to remove more compents from an xp install before you install windows, i know this is off topic, but, maybe there are more things you can remove?

i have 29MB commit change, with themes and well everything needed for games, and 32 bit colour

im not gonna post links here to this off topic thing, cause it wouldn't be fair.

if you think it could help, just pm me

Edited by gdogg

Just sent some PMs out for beta testing of my project. People that I feel have a desire to contribute somehow to this project, or is otherwise very knowledgeable in the subject of minimal installs have been invited.

I really enjoy this forum so far. This thread I have a particular interest in learning. I am looking to meet new friends who have this same interest. My msn messenger is mortalmatt[at]gmail[dot]com

I really enjoy this forum so far. This thread I have a particular interest in learning. I am looking to meet new friends who have this same interest. My msn messenger is mortalmatt[at]gmail[dot]com

I take it that you want to participate in the beta? :D

Edited by Aegis