Mindows Project

Aegis

I dunno how to break the bad news, but...it has been very stressful to keep this project up with the demands of the forums and I have lost some motivation, so for now I'm taking err...a "break" from this project.

Don't worry about it!

I've been keeping a very close eye on this thread and although initially confused I feel now after going over it a few more times I can take this on and pull it off.

So for just that alone I'll thank you for the huge effort you have made!

And it sounds like you deserve a 'break' as you so put it lol, enjoy it! Chill out B)

I dunno how to break the bad news, but...it has been very stressful to keep this project up with the demands of the forums and I have lost some motivation, so for now I'm taking err...a "break" from this project.

We didn't mean to stress you out. We're just a bunch of goofballs trying to do something crazy with our computers.

We know how it is though -- sometimes crap can just friggin' stress you out. Chill out for now and we'll catch you later. Thanks for your ideas and work though. :D

Hmm, I appreciate that Aegis must be a bit sick of seeing posts relating to this lol, but I have encountered a slight problem I wonder if anyone can help me with.

I downloaded the reg file and the batch file to copy the required system32 files to the mininstall folder. That worked out ok and I had the folder ready with those files backed up.

Because of this I thought that I could now simply delete every file in system32 (and just replace the ones deleted of course) so I highlited them all and hit the delete, but there were alot of files that weren't even on the required list that were denied for deletion so I couldn't touch them at all. :(

Might I add that this was a fresh installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 on VMWare.

If anyone knows how I can get those files deleted easily, I'd very much appreciate it.

*EDIT* Never mind, I'm gonna try out Digital Frosts method, but I've been on this for a good couple of hours or so now so I'm gonna leave it and do it tomorrow lol

Also digifrost, just a couple of questions:

1. What is CAD_Trap that comes with the package and is it at all nessecary for what is intended with this thread?

2. Will just whacking the OEM folder in my XP cd (Like I would a normal unattended cd) also do all of the minilogon stuff for me. Maybe I overlooked the files and what they do but I didn't quite catch if the minilogon reg is also applied.

Edited by lylo

Is this right?! :blink: #

I'm positive I pulled this whole thing off right lol, and apart from losing 16/32 bit colour as well as being unable to change my screen properties, I haven't actually gained a huge amount of free space from this.

The screenshot shows VMWare with the fresh installation of XP Pro SP2 after its rebooted (and gone through the deletion and minilogon) and I've still got well over a GB used up, that said, I think XP installs to around 1.8GB.

I don't wanna sound as if I'm p***ed or anything so I'll apologise if I'm giving that impression, but its just that I thought this was going for a minimalist kinda thing.

untitled.bmp

Because of this I thought that I could now simply delete every file in system32 (and just replace the ones deleted of course) so I highlited them all and hit the delete, but there were alot of files that weren't even on the required list that were denied for deletion so I couldn't touch them at all. :(
You can't delete them because they have open handles. You could try unlocker to unlock them, but I doubt you could delete them all.
Also digifrost, just a couple of questions:

1. What is CAD_Trap that comes with the package and is it at all nessecary for what is intended with this thread?

2. Will just whacking the OEM folder in my XP cd (Like I would a normal unattended cd) also do all of the minilogon stuff for me. Maybe I overlooked the files and what they do but I didn't quite catch if the minilogon reg is also applied.

CAD_Trap is for Ctrl-Alt-Del functionality in conjunction with Minlogon, without CAD_Trap Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work. Minlogon is installed by the inf-file that is run by cmdlines.txt, so in short, yes.
Is this right?!  :blink: #

I'm positive I pulled this whole thing off right lol, and apart from losing 16/32 bit colour as well as being unable to change my screen properties, I haven't actually gained a huge amount of free space from this.

The screenshot shows VMWare with the fresh installation of XP Pro SP2 after its rebooted (and gone through the deletion and minilogon) and I've still got well over a GB used up, that said, I think XP installs to around 1.8GB.

I don't wanna sound as if I'm p***ed or anything so I'll apologise if I'm giving that impression, but its just that I thought this was going for a minimalist kinda thing.

Loosing 16/32Bit is normal, also this windows isn't really usable because a lot of stuff is missing. About that GB: Try disabling SFC with nLite and look if you still have the \LastGood folder in %WinDir%. I had my Windows Folder down to about 130mbyte.

Welcome back We are trying to carry on your work. You gave us inspiration on how windows should be

Back? Just because I post a single, little comment, I'm back?!?!?!?! J/k I myself have found a new "inspiration". I found that MS has released a new Windows Server 2003 trial download! But I'm officially not going to work on the project until summer vacation, which is 14 days from now.

Thanks for the tips DigitalFrost and Aegis, I think I'll leave this for now but I'm gonna keep a very close eye on this :)

Also Aegis, when you do get back into working on this, what are your next few aims or objectives to reach for the project. I don't know a whole lot about ripping crap out of windows (up to now I've just been following guides and doing everything step by step), but if you want somebody to test what you come out with, I'd be more than happy to try out whatever you come up with. :D