98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

New .Net Framework updates were released yesterday in security bulletin MS07-040. It correctly states that it replaces MS05-004 for .Net 1.0 and 1.1, but it incorrectly states that it doesn't replace MS06-033 and MS06-056. The update for .Net 1.1 does not replace KB925168.

the_guy

hey the_guy. can you revise your unofficial Q927779.exe MDAC 2.5 SP3 fix. the Q927779.INF file needs to be changed because a few updated files could not be installed because they were named incorrectly.

In the [AD] section, change msdaomd.dll to msadomd.dll and change msdaox.dll to msadox.dll

MSVCRT.DLL 6.1.9847.0 from KB838751 works flawlessly with Win 98SE [...]. It is described in <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838751> and is available from MDGx's site at <http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q838751.EXE>. It has to be installed manually, since this hotfix is intended for Win 2k. [...]

msvcrt.dll v6.1.9847.0 works on BOTH Win98 SE AND WinME, dencorso. I know this because that file works fine under WinME and even under Win95. I've used that file on other 9x versions of Windows and found no problems with that file.

Thanks for the feedback, erpdude8! :thumbup

UPDATED · 7-13-2007

Please see the top of this topic for most recent updates.

Updated:

- KB838751

- EXPLOR98 + ITEXPL98

- Roots Cert

- Flash

- Revolutions Pack

- HOSTS.

HTH

Had very bad experience with this.

Installed: Explor98.exe and rebooted. Then installed Kb838751.exe and rebooted.

Got msvcrt.dll (IIRC) not found and windows needs reinstalling. Tried to boot into Safe Mode and got similar message.

Ended up restoring from Ghost 2003 a July 4th backup. (Lost all config changes done since then.)

No problems for me. I installed in this order:

1. Flash

2. Roots Cert

3. KB838751

4. EXPLOR98

As a general rule, always backup the files that are going to be upgraded, before the upgrade, so in case of failure you can restore them (in DOS mode).

Latest Explorer98 installs OK but Control Panel is slow to render then freezes or is extremely slow after a few clicks, have had to revert back to -1700 version of Explorer.exe

Using 982ME option 2

What are the differences between -1700 and -1710 versions?

There is a bug that can be seen in the service packs for 98 (Gold) and Me - the Windows version diplayed on desktop is
Windows 98H4.10.1998

instead of

Windows 98 4.10.1998

I'm not sure where is the root of this problem, maybe in some unofficial fix?

It should be corrected in the next (beta) release of these service packs.

Petr

It looks really terrible.

I hate to keep posting the same replies but it continues to get ignored

so i gotta keep posting sorry for the annoyance

the bug is in 98KRNLUP.EXE

rename the txt extension to exe

MDGx will have to revise the installer

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

UPDATED · 7-18-2007

Updated:

- NV8269 [late update]

- KB838751

- 98KRNLUP

- VBVM60

- 98SE2ME

- 98DDK.

HTH

BTW:

EXPLOR98.EXE was updated to install a newer version of EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1710 [discovered by erpdude8] from MS IE 4.01 SP2 [contained inside IE4SHL95.CAB].

Complete details:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/explor9x.php

This Explorer.exe has been modded [same as older 4.72.3612.1700 build] to include the "Windows 98 Second Edition" Start banner and Dr. Hoiby's 256 colors icons fix:

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/

Only Microsoft knows what has been updated/corrected in this version, please ask them.

I have been testing this EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1710 for more than 1 week, and works OK on my Win98 SE computer [with 98SE2ME option 2 and all other official + unofficial updates], never noticed any delays/slowdowns/bugs.

Therefore I have removed older Win98 SE EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 from 98SE2ME [options 1, 2 + 6].

98SE2ME now installs only WinME EXPLORER.EXE 5.50.4134.100 , and only as part of option 3.

98SE2ME has now only 5 options total.

Had very bad experience with this.

Installed: Explor98.exe and rebooted. Then installed Kb838751.exe and rebooted.

Got msvcrt.dll (IIRC) not found and windows needs reinstalling. Tried to boot into Safe Mode and got similar message.

Ended up restoring from Ghost 2003 a July 4th backup. (Lost all config changes done since then.)

Sorry about your trouble.

Fixed KB838751 INF, please try again:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/KB838751.EXE

The problem was that the INF install routine could not rename/backup and then rename/copy MSVCRT.DLL by using just plain INF directives. I had to find a workaround [similar to installing ATL.DLL] for this to work.

Also, had to remove the backup feature.

FYI:

If this happens, no need to restore your entire OS, just copy over [in this case] any version of MSVCRT.DLL to %windir%\SYSTEM [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS] from native MS-DOS [example]:

1. Exit to native/true/real/pure MS-DOS mode:

Start button -> Shut Down... -> Restart in MS-DOS mode -> OK button.

2. Run these commands or save them using Notepad as DOS style BATch file and then run it [change C:\CABS to whatever other valid path if different on your computer]:

IF EXIST %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.* ATTRIB +A -H -R -S %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.*

IF EXIST C:\CABS\MSVCRT.DLL COPY/Y/Z C:\CABS\MSVCRT.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM

Batch file created in Notepad [in Windows] or EDIT.COM [in MS-DOS] from these lines [example]:

@ECHO OFF

IF EXIST %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.* ATTRIB +A -H -R -S %winbootdir%\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.*

IF EXIST C:\CABS\MSVCRT.DLL COPY/Y/Z C:\CABS\MSVCRT.DLL %winbootdir%\SYSTEM

3. Type WIN and press Enter to (re)load Windows.

This can be done for any system file(s) "missing in action" from %windir% or from %windir%\SYSTEM [for example].

HTH

MDGX:

regarding your VS6SP6U.EXE ...

This seems to be a combination of 2 things:

- Visual Basic 6 runtimes installation package

- Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update

i haven't come across it before. It would be good to clarify if we need any of the other packs i'm currently offering in AP. The following files are in the official hotfix but not in yours:

asycfilt.dll (2.40.4275.1)

comcat.dll (4.71.1460.1)

oleaut32.dll (2.40.4275.1)

olepro32.dll (5.0.4275.1)

stdole2.tlb

and this file is in my version of the "Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update (kb896559)" but isn't in your pack:

comct232.ocx (6.0.80.22)

Having said all the above, your pack has many more files in it than i have. So i'd ideally prefer to use yours but i don't want to leave out any of the files mentioned above. Can you or anybody shed some light on this situation?

and regarding your note about KB838751:

FYI:

If using in Service Packs, Auto-Patcher, PowerPack or similar packages: must use MV6.DLL [MSVCRT.DLL renamed] with KB838751.INF directives. Extract MV6.DLL + KB838751.INF from KB838751.EXE.

Same goes for ATL.DLL = installed by VS6SP6U.EXE.

Could you possibly expand on this?

Cheers for all the recent updates!! :thumbup

EDIT: While i'm asking questions, pardon my ignorance, but any info on what the following update fixes?

Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE KRNL386.EXE 4.10.1999 Fix

- oh, is it "This Fix may correct Kernel errors after installing Cursor + Icon Handling Fix" ... is that all it does?

EDIT2: --- regarding your announcement of the Flash 9.0.74 32-bit Web Player release .... did you mean 9.0.47? --- that's what looks like is installed

Edited by soporific

Hello peoples

i just installed office 2007 on my Windows XP machine and quite a few

files were updated

HLP95EN.DLL

MSONSEXT.DLL

MSOWS409.DLL

MsWrd832.CNV

RICHED20.DLL

USP10.DLL

write32.wpc

and a bunch of nice looking fonts

i was wondering if guys/gals can test the files for me due to my power supply going out

on my windows98 machine

heres the link to the files

http://rapidshare.com/files/44082883/Fonts.zip.html

There are so many free hosting services. RapidShare is the most stupid of all. I can NEVER download anything from there - I only get an .htm file instead, telling me my IP is already downloading that file, which is NOT true. My download manager (FlashGet) is disabled, links are only handled by the browser (SlimBrowser). :-(

Sorry, but I can't test those fonts if I can't get them. Oh and over 40MB of a file... it does need a download manager, at least for some people.

MDGX:

regarding your VS6SP6U.EXE ...

This seems to be a combination of 2 things:

- Visual Basic 6 runtimes installation package

- Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update

i haven't come across it before. It would be good to clarify if we need any of the other packs i'm currently offering in AP. The following files are in the official hotfix but not in yours:

asycfilt.dll (2.40.4275.1)

comcat.dll (4.71.1460.1)

oleaut32.dll (2.40.4275.1)

olepro32.dll (5.0.4275.1)

stdole2.tlb

and this file is in my version of the "Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update (kb896559)" but isn't in your pack:

comct232.ocx (6.0.80.22)

Having said all the above, your pack has many more files in it than i have. So i'd ideally prefer to use yours but i don't want to leave out any of the files mentioned above. Can you or anybody shed some light on this situation?

and regarding your note about KB838751:

FYI:

If using in Service Packs, Auto-Patcher, PowerPack or similar packages: must use MV6.DLL [MSVCRT.DLL renamed] with KB838751.INF directives. Extract MV6.DLL + KB838751.INF from KB838751.EXE.

Same goes for ATL.DLL = installed by VS6SP6U.EXE.

Could you possibly expand on this?

EDIT: While i'm asking questions, pardon my ignorance, but any info on what the following update fixes?

Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE KRNL386.EXE 4.10.1999 Fix

- oh, is it "This Fix may correct Kernel errors after installing Cursor + Icon Handling Fix" ... is that all it does?

EDIT2: --- regarding your announcement of the Flash 9.0.74 32-bit Web Player release .... did you mean 9.0.47? --- that's what looks like is installed

1. I've just updated VS6SP6U.EXE :

- new method of install for MSVCRT.DLL ["borrowed" from KB838751.EXE = http://www.mdgx.com/files/KB838751.EXE ] = renamed twice, otherwise does not install properly.

- added COMCT232.OCX 6.0.80.22 = this is a very old file, not part of VS6 SP6, but part of ol' VS4, I guess [?].

Please try it [2.11 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/VS6SP6U.EXE

2. All these files [actually newer versions]:

asycfilt.dll

comcat.dll

oleaut32.dll

olepro32.dll

stdole2.tlb

are installed by OLEUP.EXE [512 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE

except for comcat.dll, which is installed by 98SE2ME, because the newest version is on the WinME setup CD-ROM.

But I have not tested this comcat.dll with Win95 or NT4.

3. Extract VS6SP6U.INF from VS6SP6U.EXE, and open the INF in Notepad.

MV6.DLL [MSVCRT.DLL renamed] + ATL32S.DLL [ATL.DLL renamed] must be listed as such in the SED code, and in the INF sections that rename/copy them, which are necesary for proper install.

If you would try to install those files the usual way, just by running an iexpress installer or running an INF to copy them to %windir%\system , you would get errors, and Windows would lock up after reboot, because those files canNOT be replaced the "normal" way.

That's why I came up with this workaround, which was actually suggested by erpdude8 a while back, he "dissected" an INF from an old installer, I guess.

4. KRNL386.EXE 4.10.1999 = the anonymous author who sent this fix a while back, said that this patched file may fix some kernel issues, and that it is mostly useful if also installing the .ANI Cursor + Icon fixes.

HTH

i just installed office 2007 on my Windows XP machine and quite a few

files were updated

HLP95EN.DLL

MSONSEXT.DLL

MSOWS409.DLL

MsWrd832.CNV

RICHED20.DLL

USP10.DLL

write32.wpc

Actually most of those files are older versions, except for:

RICHED20.DLL

USP10.DLL

which are newer.

I have not properly tested them yet.

I'll let you know if/when I do.

I don't see the usefulness of HLP95EN.DLL , unless using MS Office, this file doesn't do anything in Windows, any release.

Most of those fonts are also older, as far as I can tell.

And some of those fonts cannot even be used with 9x OSes, they are Unicode [NTx OS] specific.

HTH

Most of those fonts are also older, as far as I can tell.

And some of those fonts cannot even be used with 9x OSes, they are Unicode [NTx OS] specific.

Thanks for your response

when you have time can you let us know the fonts that do work even though

they have a older dates.There are fonts like chiller.ttf with 1999 date stamp

that was installed by office 2007 that is not installed by Win98/SE/ME Office 2000 etc....

and MSONSEXT.DLL

is newer

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD