Search Or Post

Rekenaar

Do you submit a search before you submit a new topic?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you submit a search before you submit a new topic?

• Always Post first
    • Always Search first
    • Mixture of Search and Post

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely ever post questions. I usually find my answers by searching the web. Once I find the answer to what I'm looking for I usually do a search then and if it's not here, I post so that maybe others can learn from my research.

Also, I have been comming here so long, and spend much time of my day on here... I usually know if something has been posted on before. I don't spend my time in any one forum, I always use the "View New Posts" link.

News-posting I don't do much, so that's a different matter.

But as far as the forum is concerned, I search a lot. Normally ppl keep on asking the same things again and again, so I just do a search with that keyword for posts already made by me, and post a reply (which is a clone of some previous post of mine :P).

Other than that, if I am posting a new topic, its not normally a question so I don't search. I read pretty much all posts on this site (right from the ones in 2001), so I know what is present already, and post new topics only when that info is not already present here.

@prathapml: noticed you have been pretty riteous about replying to questions that have obviously been asked & answered before, or clearly not 100% kosher with the rules of posting. It gives a very welcoming feel to the boards.

As far as I/me... I've always TRY to search, be it forum keyword or google. But trying to come up with the right keyword / phrase combo can be frustrating. I'll get sick of dozens of screens of HiJackThis logs when all I really want is info on a mystery process or startup item. Is it considered lazy when I don't look at every single screenfull of these log posts (just an example, but hopefully the bright minds here can extrapolate to other sortta similar situations). I don't think it's wrong to post after TRYING to search and coming up with lots of nothing. Maybe it needs to be mentioned in the post to avoid a little "try to search first" and "read the rules" responses.

What gets me is all the replies in the forums (not just here) that say Google is your friend!!! I then try to do a google search and lots of times turns up two things... Jack & Squat. (nothing for the non american expressionists out there :) ) so doing a google search for the subject in the post per the suggestion doesn't always turn up info... plus info can "dissappear"/be removed.

A few tips... since google isn't the endall of the 'net (gasp.... did I "say" that outloud?) recently I've found myself using alltheweb, and dogpile.

Sorry... wasn't trying to rant... anyway just a few late night views... need sleep snzzzzzzzzz

• 2 weeks later...

I always try and search google first, then search the forum, but sometimes I get too many misleading results and i can't be bothered to wade through them all :whistle: so I post and new topic. :P