Opera And Firefox

prathapml

Well, I don't oppose firefox. Anything is better than IE. :lol:

But I don't like its slowness. Plus, I don't need to go to a deliberate-badly made page for firefox to crash - it will crash just by itself if you use it for long enough. :lol:

(yes, I mean it - firefox is too much of a kid to handle the load I put it through - approx 300 tabs opened and closed every ten minutes. Firefox simply keeps having a memory leak and eventually crashes, whereas opera keeps going with just 4 MB of mem usage)

i'd like to oppose to that! i'm using opera nothing crashed!

probably your quicktime plugin didn't work properly and that caused a crash.. nothing wrong with opera!!

http://www.opera.com/support/service/plugins/

http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=141 quicktime plugin

http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=434 media player plugin

:realmad::realmad: opera is good, its better than firefox! yea might be loading the page a little slower than firefox but what else? opera is better!!

XtremeMaC, you are mis-understanding what I said...

I am an opera user too, and I was saying opera loads pages faster and handles itself better than firefox.

Happy? :D

And I'm happy too because you said opera did not crash on that web-page for you. Maybe the reason it crashed for me is that I'm on the Opera8beta2.

Anyways, why are we making statements between firefox and opera, both of these are supposed to be allies. The real "enemy" is IE. ;)

Warning for opera users:

Going to that page crashes the browser. :/

RU using a beta? That's the only reason I could think it could crash on that page. I use Opera almost all the time [when not using FF :)] and so far it has never crashed on me.

• 2 weeks later...

1. I think she's hot. *GAG DOLL* LOL ^_^ I don't say a girl is ugly just because I think she's snobby and untalented. That's just retarded. Anna Nichole Smith however is sickening.

2. IE IS BAD/EVIL/DEMONIC!!!

3. Firefox is good. Opera is good. IE is BAD.

Too many threads out there proving IE inferiority and things in both FireFox and Opera that people like more than others...so its pretty fair to make blunt statements at this point. If you don't use IE, then you're ooookaaayyy....

Cheers,

Jeremy

(yes, I mean it - firefox is too much of a kid to handle the load I put it through - approx 300 tabs opened and closed every ten minutes. Firefox simply keeps having a memory leak and eventually crashes, whereas opera keeps going with just 4 MB of mem usage)

Lol... why would anyone in the right mind have 300 tabs open at once. You are bound to have a program crash. 4mb of mem with 300 tabs open.. not sure where you get that ;)

Opera does the same thing I have used it as well and it is not as flexible as IE or Firefox and ALOT of pages do not load correctly using Opera. Opera uses the same amount of memory as Firefox, yet has very unnessary additons to it. Opera is more for the adictive Advertising/Integrated tools connoisseur.

Either way each user has there own preference.

ahemm.....

dear "right mind" I also used the words "every ten minutes" there. :P With opera you can say that you want only XX MB of mem used and no more - useful even when you have half a gig of RAM.

Firefox is nowhere close to opera's quality. It has lot of annoying fanboys though. The fanboys show their dedication by rabid talk about it all the time, the supporters show theirs by paying for their copy (and so no ads). Opera happens to be the best there is - and I'd hazard a guess that I know what I'm talking about. Anyways, opera and firefox are not supposed to fight among themselves, gang up against the devil (IE), lol.

And its been more than a week since this off-topic discussion was seen - now back on topic pls - paris hilton was what this was about. :w00t:

Opera 8 Beta...... no crash baby....... It did crash once when i opened it with 10 IE windows already going......

I did catch Quicktime default sound out as windows wave, instead of sound codec..

btw i do not seem to be able to test all browsers like before:

besides IE, my isp installed Netscape 6.2, which i updated to 7.1. But after i added Firefox, netscape will not start.

Got Opera going too.

Maxthon i like, but if it's the same IE engine, then i don't see the point.

• 3 weeks later...
Paris Hilton = untalented.  Nahhhh.  She might not be able to act, mind you she had everybody fooled when she went 'slumming' in Arkansas.  Fake posed questions, eg. 'What's WalMart?  They sell walls there?'  She knew what WalMart is and kept a straight face.  She's making big$ off the show and she has the clothing or accesories thing with her sister.  Hilton = Money.

The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat.

Agreed. Everything to do with the media. The Media today indulges to twist what 'was' called the 'truth'.

Firefox is nowhere close to opera's quality. It has lot of annoying fanboys though. The fanboys show their dedication by rabid talk about it all the time, the supporters show theirs by paying for their copy (and so no ads). Opera happens to be the best there is - and I'd hazard a guess that I know what I'm talking about. Anyways, opera and firefox are not supposed to fight among themselves, gang up against the devil (IE), lol.

I have to agree with the fanboys, but most of them are 12-20 yoa, with the intelligence of a rock. However, you can scoff all you want regarding Firefox & IE. IE and Firefox do not have a problem between the 3 applications (Windows, IE & Firefox) they work conjointly unlike Opera. Opera has a fit (i.e. like a rich prude does) and crashes if the slightest issue happens, memory allocation, hogging resources to keep other's like IE from running. For the registered version of Opera, I have several licenses for it, it's still an advertising conesour's browser, meaning it is bundled with uneccesary bookmarks, you can delete them and repackage the msi but defeats the point of a registered version of the application. Opera is no where near the so called Best, but you have the right to your opinion and I will not challenge that.

I am not doubting your intelligence, I and many others have that field covered plus++ the experience applied. Opera has failed countless 'stress' & 'security' tests where-as IE & Firefox have been deployed within many large scale corporate environments. If applied 'correctly' IE and Firefox have the tightest securty you can acheive... one reason us corporate 'noobs' like to use gpedit.msc & secpol.msc /s & raw registry entries, which we somehow manage to (mysteriously, mind you) add security and stability to the environment. But in the interim Opera decides not to follow RFC's, I will not give them any credit. ;)

I have to agree with the fanboys, but most of them are 12-20 yoa, with the intelligence of a rock. However, you can scoff all you want regarding Firefox & IE. IE and Firefox do not have a problem between the 3 applications (Windows, IE & Firefox) they work conjointly unlike Opera. Opera has a fit (i.e. like a rich prude does) and crashes if the slightest issue happens, memory allocation, hogging resources to keep other's like IE from running. For the registered version of Opera, I have several licenses for it, it's still an advertising conesour's browser, meaning it is bundled with uneccesary bookmarks, you can delete them and repackage the msi but defeats the point of a registered version of the application. Opera is no where near the so called Best, but you have the right to your opinion and I will not challenge that.

I am not doubting your intelligence, I and many others have that field covered plus++ the experience applied. Opera has failed countless 'stress' & 'security' tests where-as IE & Firefox have been deployed within many large scale corporate environments. If applied 'correctly' IE and Firefox have the tightest securty you can acheive... one reason us corporate 'noobs' like to use  gpedit.msc & secpol.msc /s & raw registry entries, which we somehow manage to (mysteriously, mind you) add security and stability to the environment. But in the interim Opera decides not to follow RFC's, I will not give them any credit. ;)

Advertising, not the least bit stays out here. It takes exactly 1 minute to download a fully customized setup from the customers area. No MSI re-package here. And beyond this customized setup is the fact that its the most unattend friendly 3rd party browser that exists. Bought several licenses you say? Hmm.... why is it sounding doubtful...

Right on the machine where I'm typing this from, opera (the app) hasn't been needed to exit since 5 days!

Hogs resources? Pardon me... let me check my task manager. BACK - 41 tabs open, 9 MB total mem usage, 0.5% CPU usage - by singular process "Opera.exe".

Stress and security tests, there cannot possibly be a person who puts his browser through more stress and security risks than me (yeah, probably everybody thinks the same of himself :lol:). Have you checked out kiosk mode?

Opera (here and everywhere) has passed every test that could be thrown at it, except what it clearly refuses to (for example, activeX). Ever wondered why the $25 it costs (in bulk) is worth every cent?

Been with it through the insane kind of activity one has in teenage, and later in saner corporate surroundings. A point of note is firefox evangelism mostly happens on an abstract and militant basis (QUOTE: "mysteriously, mind you"), whereas its no co-incidence that opera generally is used by those who value their time, spreads slower and on the basis of debates informed with facts. (try seeing my old posts for reasons why I like opera)

Incidentally, in cases where opera is not able to do the job (like windowsupdate), IE is preferred. (yeah, firefox exists with *YET ANOTHER* extension to enable WU, but since you seem to know about corporate policies, you'd know that we brand installing ANYTHING without permission to be a nuisance). Also, in that kind of atmosphere, IE is by far the preferred browser because of its ability to be locked down centrally in a domain (remember GPMC and GPOs? ;)).

My stance has been to recommend Opera to intelligent, individual power-users and use IE in production environments because anyway the dumb employees cannot hurt themselves considering that we control IE on the domain. Where does that leave firefox? :blink:tongue.gif

Anyone click on the link via DivX? Funny Shizzit. (forward-backward-forward-backward...)

Incidentally, in cases where opera is not able to do the job (like windowsupdate), IE is preferred.  (yeah, firefox exists with *YET ANOTHER* extension to enable WU, ...).  Also, in that kind of atmosphere, IE is by far the preferred browser because of its ability to be locked down centrally in a domain (remember GPMC and GPOs?newwink.gif).

True.

Where does that leave firefox?blink.giftongue.gif

(Firefox is still free! :P:P:whistle::lol: , oohh wait - so is Opera! LOL)