Opera And Firefox

prathapml

prathapml
Not going to start a all out war here it's off topic and unnecessary, but to close it up.

It cost me $15/per 100 licenses. Someday Opera will get there act together for the corporate environment, but for now it's IE & Firefox. And branding... if your in a corporate environment you have a perpetual license which allows you to do any type of branding of the browser (application).

My stance has been to recommend Opera to intelligent, individual power-users and use IE in production environments because anyway the dumb employees cannot hurt themselves considering that we control IE on the domain. Where does that leave firefox? blink.gif user posted image

Swap out Opera for Firefox and you have a green light. I also find it interesting you admire Opera so much. Seem's you do not realize Firefox and Opera are both built upon the same engine. ;)

Not going to start a all out war here

You're right mate!

This is just about the comparative merits, with no external factors brought into play. :)

it's off topic and unnecessary, but to close it up.
Your will has been done! ;)

Its now a different thread, and is on-topic, lol.

I also find it interesting you admire Opera so much. Seem's you do not realize Firefox and Opera are both built upon the same engine.
Oops there, epic.

Despite accepting that you may not have personally used it, it appears you missed ALL the major comparisons that mention that the 3 main browser engines (as far as win32 platform goes) are IE, mozilla, and opera.

No, both use totally different engines - mozilla (and derivatives like firefox) uses the gecko rendering base, and opera has its own opera engine.

Despite accepting that you may not have personally used it,

Really, where did I openly admit not using Opera? :lol: I believe I have mentioned we have tested this in a corporate environment & I personally own a copy myself. Do you read anything people post or just skim... ;)

it appears you missed ALL the major comparisons that mention that the 3 main browser engines (as far as win32 platform goes) are IE, mozilla, and opera.

No, both use totally different engines - mozilla (and derivatives like firefox) uses the gecko rendering base, and opera has its own opera engine.

Glad you caught that. Yes, Opera runs on a seperate engine besides Mozilla/Firefox(gecko) and IE. There is no doubt about that. The issue is compatibility, interoperability (;), blame Gate's), and stability.

I will openly admit that Opera 8b is a work in progress and has overcome leaps and bounds from it's recent deployments.

(yeah, firefox exists with *YET ANOTHER* extension

That's what you get with an OpenSource application. Different users have their interpretation of what an application should contain. It's the one of the advantageous of OpenSource is to share your version. No one is dispossessioned you to install the application (plugin), it's just a feature that is available to users whom beleive it would help them. Also a lot of hogwash out there... good ideas but useless. However, the best part of OpenSource.

Glad you caught that.

Yup. And that was what makes it look like you haven't used it (or not much atleast) - which explains that remark....

But well, it simply is an amazing lot of features that the opera suite packs into itself by default. Its a browser that "grows" on you (kinda'). As you use it more, you find out more about it. And despite all the "growth" its memory usage is still so less that even a machine with 16 MB RAM is happy to have opera. To be honest, just take a look at this post - LINK - and tell me how many extensions firefox will need before it touches (what is for me) the minimal functionality found in opera.

And of course, you can equally just as well go trigger happy and get lot of add-ons for opera. But the emphasis is on what I get at a minimum with one and the other....

Hmm well, since you would rather choose firefox, what was the reason you bought opera (and that too, in bulk!) ?

Hmm well, since you would rather choose firefox, what was the reason you bought opera (and that too, in bulk!) ?

I'd say so he could compare the two as their development progresses. That's why I'd do it.

Heyas,

I stumbled across this thread last nite when I was lookin around.

My thorts were.. ok, I should d/load Opera (as I use Firefox) and see how they compare

I have one question... in Firefox (and in I.E.) you can right click on a bookmark and open in a new ....

Does Opera have this (maybe I missed it in all the features) :huh:

note: Can I do this without opening the Bookmark Manager?

note: Can I do this without opening the Bookmark Manager?

Press F4 to bring up the sidebar, then the boomarks list comes up. Right-click on whichever you choose...

Then you can make it go back to being out of view by pressing F4 or Shift-F4 or clicking the small bit of trigger area at the left edge of the screen.

Well, I downloaded Opera, played around with it.. saw its capabilities and weaknesses.

For my personal prefs as far as a browser is concerned; I'm more than happy with Firefox. Although Opera kicked its a** in speed and had a lot of very nice extras, it was what it couldnt do that swayed me (chat in msn comms wif old mates, post in those comms with various fonts/colours/add pics etc.

If opera ever gets to be able to do those, I would swap in a minute :)