Norton or McAfee?

What do you prefer for protection of viruses,hacking etc.  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer for protection of viruses,hacking etc.

• Norton
    • McAfee

Anything but Norton would be good , Norton is like using Amoral on the dashboard of you fine new car , Once you use it you have to keep using it otherwise your dash drys and cracks up twice as quick as compared to never using it at all.

Bad comparison I know.

Nortons Antivirus 2005 installed on Windows XP with SP2 adds nothing short of 9 new services to your service manager. By Default setting 6 of those 9 services are active (Automatically On at all times).

Default Processes that show up in Task Manager after NAV 2005 install are:

ccapp.exe (email scanning service)

ccevtmgr.exe

ccsetmgr.exe

navapsvc.exe

npfmntor.eve (Norton Antivirus Firewall Protection Monitor)

sndssrv.exe (symantec network driver service)

symlcsvc.exe

If at any point you decided it was safe to drop your NAV 2005 from loading then think again.

Example of above:

My Friend and Myself aren't going to be connected to the net or any other network cause we are gunna bust each other up in UT 2004 or BF2 or something similar. We want all the PC resources for Fragging each other for the next 24 hours.

I've spent the last 3 hours scanning my PC and a Friends PC for virii and malware with NAV 2005 , Spybot , Adaware , Java Blaster , Hijack This , RegCleaner etc..

All results come back clean. So I decide to open NAV 2005 -> Options and Dissable email scanning , Live Update and not load NAV 2005 on on next reboot.

NAV 2005 still loads all the Modules and Services upon reboot even though you have selected not to load on startup. To me this is unacceptable.

If you should think it's ok to remove the services it's loaded manually and restore them later , then think again .. you'll be re-installing your NAV 2005 again from scratch, due to it will b***h that there's a problem when you try to restore the settings back.

I could give many more examples of NAV and it's time wasting ,resource taking experiences.. but lifes to short.

I bought great hardware to get things I wanna get done , not sit in paranoia scanning for virii and chewing all the system resources just to do so.

I feel the manufacturers of this product have over stepped their authority in releasing such a presumptous , obtrusive and non efficient bit of software.

For every Positive someone corrects me on I will will give at least 2 negatives to their postive feedback about NAV 2005.

I don't have a good thing to say about NAV , so I will stop now.

Time to Try McAfee.....

Edited by smashly

Norton.  Just Anti-Virus.  I run the corporate edition (extra license from the office).  Hardware stateful (not NAT) firewall.  I don't mess with software firewalls.  Just another thing to take up my resources.

You couldnt be closer to the truth mate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well people I have used both norton anti-virus and mcafee anti-virus back in 2000 (ish) and: norton uses 120% of your machine's resources; mcafee was good. So i'd say mcafee beats norton. however, at the moment i'm using bitdefender 9 internet security: updates every 3 hours!!! (www.bitdefender.com) :thumbup

Mods: if that's considered advertisement plaese remove this post. thanks!

the amount of ppls pcs i have to fix due to norton being installed on it and it constantly just wasting resources and not actually catching anything. its a joke.

mcafee is only marginally better but better all the same.

• 1 month later...
I use Symantec Client Security, it's made by the same company as Norton, but it's a corperate edition and it's way better :)

It is amazing how much better the Corp. Ed. version is over the horribly bloated Norton.

I've not used McAfee, but from seeing it's "Scarecurity Center" I can't recommend it because the interface shows how you're not secure from spam and privacy protection and suggests you buy even more from them.