94 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you use?

• CMD Batch File
    • RunOnceEx
    • Windows Post Install
    • Xplode 1.x
    • Xplode 4
    • AutoIt

My last CD ( Long time ago ) was made with CMD batch file. It looks ugly but it gets the job done. And it is the easiest to learn. Now that many new alternative is out. I am wondering what do you use for your CD?

I had a Quick look through and RunONceEx looks Ok and slightly harder to learn. But it lacks a Progress Bar.

Any other alternative?

well mine is standart, programs which i've made a custom installation run from a batch file at T-13. others, the most, are executed from runonceex because windows at that time is mostly loaded. finally i program a reboot when desktop is shown and again runonce to install my AV and firewall ;)

I have to be honest and say I haven't tried many of these options so maybe my opinion isn't quite weighed. I am not too much into using a method that isn't supported or where I have to sit and wait for a new version because of a bug or something. I am very well versed in batch script. (or more properly "command script") There really isn't anything I can't do in command scripts. I think that's what I am going to stick with until I learn to use something else myself.

started by using runonceex.cmd with CMDOW and still using it. Though Im thinking about using XPLODE when the new version is ready. WPI is also tempting.

Could someone post the PRO/CON or General Comparision of these different approaches? Do they all occur at the same time during setup, level of difficulty, that sort of thing.

Hm I'm biased since I started the inf installers for this site. But after looking at everything I still am using the inf stuff. I dont mena tunonceex either.

Since I run everything from the cmdlines.txt it is kind of worthless to use runonceex. Nice thing about this method is that it looks perty but other than that it doesn't have any advantage over batch files. The nice thing about running for cmdlines.txt is that all regisrty entries get added to default user and as such mena that all aplications work for every user.

I'm looking at using xplode in a future version though.

For now though I have figured out how to eject the cdrom using the inf installer method which lets me use a second cdrom for installing my apps. Ah life is good. Oh it shuts the cdrom after the new cd is put in also.

I started with batch files and still use them ...kinda

I now use WIHU, but it calls my batch files in order to function. It took me a long time to make my batch files do what I want them to do and I don't want to lose it.

WIHU calls the batch file (which is hidden using CMDOW) and it then installs.

I also have WIHU set up as the autorun on my XPDVD, making it a really handy program installer as well.

The very first CD I made used a batch file and the fugly DOS box. I then switched to RunOnceEx and it does the job for my system. But now since I have a DVD burner, and can store a lot of programs for multiple computers on it, I will be switching over to WPI and calling it with the RunOnceEx method. :P Although I admit I haven't messed much with XPlode, WPI just looks good, is powerful and customizeable. ;)