1. 1. Which one do you use?

• CMD Batch File
    • RunOnceEx
    • Windows Post Install
    • Xplode 1.x
    • Xplode 4
    • AutoIt

@Shotgun

Me too :lol: (with the difference that that I did not wait when XPlode/XPinstall showed up, been using it right since its "testing" days. But now I've stuck to XPlode 1.00 despite it being an older version since it does the job and does it well with ZERO issues and PERFECT compatibility!)

for some of us runonce was never mainstream. To many limitations.
Yeah, it was just something I played with for a month or so. Those limitations and draw-backs is the reason why it amazes me to see so many new-comers deciding to directly start using RunOnce method. They end up neither having the power that command-lines can give, nor learn what a uA install really does. I'd say the best thing you can do is to stick on to .CMDs - and when you make the move to something else, atleast make the move a worthy one (RunOnce is neither powerful nor as good-looking as options like XPlode/WIHU/WPI).

well for just that reason I'm now using explode from cmdlines.txt. I have it running from over a network and there is no possibility to change any settings in it durring runtime. I just have cmdlines.txt start the network and check for the install dir on the sever and then it runs xplode. This works great and lets me only have ot worry about the one folder with it's apps and customizations.

It also has the advantage of running from cmdlines.txt which helps me to setup so many things automaticly. It even sets default settings for all the users on the system because everything gets applied to the all users or default users account at this point.

I started using batch cmd from [GuiRunOnce] section of winnt.sif, then found that some apps didn't install until after a reboot. So, I tried moving to RunOnceEx, but found it to be much less powerful than batch cmd, but very useful anyway because it runs after reboot. Then I found CMDLINES.TXT, best way to install yet--but many apps can't install at this stage (many errors). Now, I run most from CMDLINES, then run [GuiRunOnce] runs remaining apps and adds RunOnceEx keys to run anything that needs a reboot. So, I guess it's a 4-stage setup (perhaps it's time to simplify?).